1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do about mold on coconut fiber?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by green_sars24, Mar 6, 2008.

1. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

I'm having a bit of a problem with my coconut fiber!! I have two types - on mat is thicker and older. the first time i saw mold, i rubbed instant ocean into it, and i havent had problems since. The newer mat is thinner and kind of waxy on the outside, and it grows tiny mold spores like mad. I've tried the salt thing, but to no avail. I'm not sure if I can bake it? and if I scrap it altogether, what should i cover the back of my tank with? The humidity is a constant 75-80%, and the temp is usually around 75 at the surface, and about 85 at the bottom of the tank (i use damp forest bedding and UTH's) any ideas?
    :twirl:
    green_sars

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

you posted this twice so I got rid of one

Now I would scrap it- the waxy stuff is not allowing it to breathe and it sounds like you will always have a problem which is not good for de herms...- you can easily use fish net on the back of your tank and on the outside use pretty fish aquarium backgrounds to make it look pretty, I have them on all of my tanks.

Also hermiefun makes great nets and such so she can make something for you if not already in Vickis store.......

3. green_sars24

green_sars24 "Preparing For First Molt"

Thank you sooooooo much, Hermez!! :hermez2: