1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what the ??????????????

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by ashleigh, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

my jumbo crab came up after a molt and he is missing a leg [​IMG]
    the area where it was broken off is BLACK [​IMG]
    It's the first time he has molted could it kill him [​IMG]
    How long have you had the crab(s) in question?

Do you know what species they are? Aussie crabs

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    yes

Tank Size:
    50cm, by 46cm

Lid Type:
    glass

Placement of tank in your home:
    in my bed room

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    sand moist, 6cm depth

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    Analog

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?
    yes
    Placement of Gauges:
    middle of tank

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    25'c Humidity 76%

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):
    UTH half

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    no sure

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    yes more then one

Is there any metal in your tank?
    No way

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    plants,drif wood

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    dechlorinated tap

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    yes aussie land hermit crab dechlorinating

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? yes aussie land hermit crab salt mix

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    yes

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    yes

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?
    no

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    yes

How often do you handle them?
    once a day

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    no toxins

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    yes

What types of foods do you feed?
    homemade

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    yes
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ashleigh

my crab isn't moving at all even at night I was up all night watching him please someone help I don't want to lose Nipper.
    the black spot is getting bigger and bigger
    HELP PLEASE HELP [​IMG]

3. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] asleigh , im still very new to this okay , so i can only share with you my experiences , when my (lil angel molted then passed ) , this is hard to talk about , he was missing his lil claw when i baught him though, and a couple of his lil legs were off at the end , the black spot you are talking of still showed when he molted. and the "stub" so to say didnt come back whole as i thought it would after a molt. my guys dont move around a whole lot either, i bath them once a week though, and the other big one who is named Bo , he doesnt like to be moved , he wont come out no more like he did when i first baught him , and i dont even see him eat, sometimes (from what ive seen mine do , again ive only been crabbing since septemember ) they wont move, and especially after a molt , you dont want to hold or handle him a whole lot, a light mist of water , as wendy told me is all , he will be very gentle for a bit, he needs time to adjust , a molt is stressful kind of , and they are like new born baby with "soft spot, but all over ) on this site there is a glossary , look at all the information you can okay. but leave him be a few days. and remember they are nocternal, which means they are night animals, they may want to be in the dark , also i noticed the lighting you are using , im not sure of what the wattage is on your light , however they need a soft light , in the states we use no more than 25 i think , i run a 15 , however greg is getting me a "moon light " for the tank, i dont have a humidity or special heater for them at all , so i use a heating pad , UNDER THE TANK ,and i mist the tank and the rock wall, and plants daily , i have a partial lid that is plexiglass, with an opening that is small, and the normal plastic lid that is standard with an aquarim. that i can open freely , but that they cannot , cuz Bo , we found out the first day we had him that he likes to be out of the tank , he doesnt take off or fall , he just likes to hang out on top lol. i dont know how much help that may is or not ashleigh , but let me know , oh yes and also , they need fresh and salt water , also i have one lil thing that i keep a spounge in with enough water for them to take a bath in , but not too much that they would drown in . hugs, kathy, please keep me informed , as i know this feeling you are having , it seems me and you lost our crabs emily and (lil angel ) around the same time. you are a great care giver ashleigh and doing great , and just keep asking questions . hugs kathy, i will private message you my personal email as well okay. hugs kathy

4. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

The missing leg shouldn't be any big deal. And inactivity right after a molt isn't necessarily a problem either, as long as he eventually starts moving around. Where is the black area? On the crab's body, or is there a bit of leg and that's what's black? It might be nothing, but my concern would be that it's an infection. Can you describe what it looks like, or take a picture?

5. ashleigh

I can't take a picture cause he dosen't came out that much even at night"sign".It is black where the leg fell off, he is moving around but noway as much.

6. ashleigh

he not do that well [​IMG] he is going a grey colour,not white like he should be.I think he is not going to make it[​IMG] [​IMG] the bad thing is that I'm going away for 6 week [​IMG] but I scared nipper will stress out. My crabbies are coming on a crabbie holiday. but this year I so sure nipper willn't be coming [​IMG] Help someone anyone Help

7. moire_eel

If he's a big guy, it may take him longer to get back into his normal routine. I'm not sure about the gray color -- I've never noticed a significant color change in my ill crabs. But I'm not yet thinking that there's definitely something wrong. The black area could be shell rot, but that wouldn't be fatal, unless maybe it was covering a large area of the exoskeleton. I'm just making guesses here, but I think that your crab could be fine -- just give him a little extra privacy in case he's stressed if it's possible to do so. I wouldn't worry about trying to treat him until we know more about the problem (it would stress him out, which is a greater risk) but if it is, there are medicines that can keep it under control until his next molt. Hang in there, and I hope everything works out for Nipper.

8. ashleigh

I asked my vet and he took a look at him but He said he would have a clue as to whats going on [​IMG]. ever since emily died nipper has not been the same [​IMG] they were always together [​IMG]

9. ashleigh

he is naked I don't think things could get any worst [​IMG]

10. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I'm sorry about your big guy.Has he been moving at all?Has he gotten back in his shell yet?

11. ashleigh

no he isn't back in his shell but he is moving a bit [​IMG]

12. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] ashleigh, i hope he is doing okay , i have been real ill, and ive been watching the posts to hear the updates on him. i know how you are feeling , this just happend to me sweetheart. all my prayers . hugs kathy

13. ashleigh

hi I back But Nipper didn't make it [​IMG]
    But its happed again with my other crab I only got home today and my crabbies all 15. He lose 1 leg and the other one is broken it's an L shape. all this happen when he molted.

14. ashleigh

he didn't make it [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. moire_eel

Aw, I'm sorry, Ashleigh. [​IMG] The only possible cause I can think of for twisted limbs is that the crab somehow was cramped against the side or bottom of the tank. Usually this isn't deadly, though. It could be a nutritional issue, too. Maybe they need more protein or sources of chitin in their diets? Since you have a different species than us here in the US, unfortunately there are some things it's hard to compare notes on.

16. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Sorry about your loss. Sometimes it just happens. There is not always an explanation. But I do agree to get a good variety of foods available, protein and chitin, dried baby shrimp, a good sea sponge in your water dish, (mine eat the sponge, go figure!), or he may have come up too soon before he was hard enough, that can happen sometimes.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Dear ashleigh; im so very sorry to hear about your lil guy. when my guy (the one that passed ) he had just molted , then he was completly out of his shell. he never buried himself when he did the molt, however i baught him from store because he was sick, and he was missing parital limbs , and they too were black, when he molted they ones missing were still gone. he was trying to get to another shell (i think) however even in doing all the right things , diet , water , sponages , the bath ( the all love their baths ) it could of been that i just handled him too much. due to worry i cheaked him out alot , however i had to handle him because his claws didnt work, over time the larger one never did work , but the smaller claw started working. When he passed i didnt pick him up , however he had wrapped his lil claw around my finger ... and passed. my husband who is a Native Amercian placed him in a tree, as to replace his soul. and it still made me feel horrible. and in the recent passing of my father-in-law , i felt as we all are that we all could of done something to prevent this from happening. asleigh you always do things for your crabbies to take very good care of them , im sorry for the loss. hugs kathy

18. Hermies_Rule

Hermies_Rule "Never Molted"

I am really sorry about your crab. [​IMG] I know how you feel and im sorry the answer couldnt come soon enough. im not an expert so i cant give you four star advice but i can say that i hope you have good luck witht he rest of your crabbies. i have never expreience a molting crab, but i am very very sorry about your loss and i hope you feel better soon [​IMG]

19. Guest

Guest Guest

aww[​IMG][​IMG] so sorry

hugs [​IMG]

20. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

My condolences. Even though to most people they are "just crabs" they are our babies to us. Good luck with the rest of the bunch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.