1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the frog?

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by crabalicious, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabalicious

crabalicious "Preparing For First Molt"

So I got this tank from a lady today. It's a sweet layout fully decked out. She built in a graveled pond side with an acrylic divider and a fiter, trees, substrate, everything. I'm loading it into the car and she says "BTW there's a tiny little tree frog somewhere in there that I couldn't find." I was like ok....

So I found the cute little tree frog, but I don't know what to do with him! I mean, of course I will just read up on their care. But the habitat he needs is for the crabs. They need lots of space to climb. My daughter is overjoyed cuz she's been begging for a tree frog forever. I told her to forget it since we have cats, dogs, fish, and crabs in multiple tanks. Now I have this darn frog.

What do I do? Do ya'll think he could cohabitate with the crabs? The require the same temp, humidity, and habitat. They eat live insects though.

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Lol thats so weird. How bigs the tank? I wonder if they live im they same places in the wild.

3. crabalicious

30 gallons. Generally speaking, land crabs and tree frogs do inhabit the same tropical areas. but this frog is a (I think) New Zealand Tree Frog. All my crabs are PP.

4. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

I know a frogs and hermits might live in the wild together, but that's different than a tank. Frogs are a whole other world of tank cleaning. They leave goo! Toxic goo actually.

As much as I think it would be awesome to house my tarantula and hermies together in the big tank Fuzzy Jr. occupies...I just couldn't risk it.

5. crabalicious

Goo? Oh yeah! Heck not in my clean Hermie tank. I have lots of 10 gallon tanks, but they won't provide adequate climbing for it. And that's yet another tank to care for. I really don't want this frog. I hate breaking my daughter's heart.....and it's her bday :-(
    Oh well. If there's any kid that knows the harsh reality of pets, it's her. I work in an animal ER and she knows pet ownership isn't always snuggly and happy.

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

SAY NO TO FROGS n HERMIES CoHabitiating!!

7. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Wow that's weird! The hermies might try to eat the goo, so that definetely wouldn't be safe.

8. crabalicious

Ya that was kinda weird. Oh, btw I left a frog in there. I don't know what was up with that....she was very devoted to her animals. She had some amazing terrariums set up.

Now I have to find a new home for this guy before I manage to kill him. I told my kids they would have to feed it live crickets and make sure to fish the dead ones out of the "pool". That was enough to kill any frog love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.