1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Substrate(s) In Your Crabitat(s)?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Eric, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

What Substrate(s) In Your Crabitat(s)?

I use Eco Earth In My ISO's & Exotics Tanks. In my 40B that houses all my purple pinchers I use Marine Sand.

Cappa

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

only EE now....

3. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Playsand on the bottom of the tnaks, then I put EE on the top of the sand, on one half of the tank only.

4. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

I have about 1/3 of my 55 gallon has EE and the rest is play sand.

5. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Mostly playsand with some EE mixed in for the crabs...all EE with some grass planted in it for the tortoise.

6. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have EE with very little gravel all mixed together on the far right side of the tank, then the middle/back section is all EE which blends with playsand toward the front of the tank on the left side. Then in the front left corner of the tank there is playsand.

The crabs mix it all up anyway, so I don't attempt to put any type of barrier in between the different substrates. I think I will add some crushed coral somewhere along the line when I feel creative. Right now my two biggest crabs-A jumbo PP and a large PP are molting [​IMG]

7. Flower

Flower Hi, I'm New Here!

I use calcium sand mixed with beach sand (collect by yours truly). I have EE in my Iso tank.

They love when I add fresh beach sand...antenna all twitchy [​IMG]

8. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I love the EE, won't use anything else now. I like that it holds the humidity so well, and my crabs love to bury themselves in it. It also never smells stale like the calci sand did.

9. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I use, and really, really think it's much better than play sand (I've had play sand, and you shouldn't say it's better than anything else, because molds much easier than calci-sand) is calci-sand!!!

10. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

Play sand and only play sand.

EE gets too moldy here and my crabs hate it.

Other stuff is too expensive, and I have a 120 gallon tank. When I need to replace my substrate (if I get sick of baking it), I'm not spending $30 a bag for aragonite sand -- I'd need $300 of sand, for crying out loud! So, play sand it is.

Almost all my molts in it have been successful, with the exception of one jumbo strawberry, who didn't have time to save up molt energy after I bought her. I don't think it was the play sand that killed her. Other straws have molted in it just fine; even my PPs do so.

Crabs come from the beach. Sand is sand. Crabs is crabs. Why get costly about it?

I'd use EE if I could, but the risk of infection is too high.

11. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Yeah, I know about being expensive, and should never pay that much if you have a tank like that! But, if you have a size like me (2 gal.), then you would buy it, because it's extremly healthy for them, and my hermit crabs havfe been really liking it!!!

12. gracie

gracie Hi, I'm New Here!

I currently keep gravel in my crabitats... I have recently added a small section off EE. I'm wondering if maybe I should change over to all EE. I need some feedback! Can someone help? I'm especially interested to hear from SuperMom and BloodyMary, who, it seems, both use EE exclusively! Thanks so much!!!

13. BL00DYMARY

The EE is inexpensive, it holds humidity like a sponge, it always smells fresh, I can plant certain plants directly in it, my crabs can make perfect tunnels in it & I've had nothing but successful molts so far in it. My tank is rarely below 78% humidity (usually more) and I have never had a problem with mold. The only time I have ever gotten mold in/on it was when the crabs dragged a crumb of food out of the dish & I missed it when cleaning out the dish. I actually find that helpful because I know the tank is clean.

14. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

I have used EE since last December and agree with Mary. I haven't had any problems yet and
    have had 2 successful molts. The hermies love digging in it and they have tunnels all around the tank. When I mist I use saltwater on the EE as was suggested to me on this site back in December and I haven't had any mold in the EE.
    My tank isn't so large, so when I buy the EE in bricks of 3, it is cost effective for me and takes time to use them all. I do look for sales on the bricks and then stock up. My humidity is 78-80% and temps between 78-80 degrees.

15. jess2mellow1

jess2mellow1 Hi, I'm New Here!

I use play sand and calcium sand. I'm thinking of trying to use beach sand-much cheaper!!!!!

16. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

I have 3/4 of my 75gal EE, 1/4 beach sand. Not too many crabs dig in the sand though. Most of them dig and tunnel through the EE. I have 4 or 5 or more molting right now in the EE. I also have a second level which has a thin layer of EE covered with moss.

CJ, does the salt water leave a salty coating on the glass when it dries?
    Jenn

17. CJ

Jenn,
    yes, yes it does leave a coating on the glass when it dries. [​IMG] After the water droplets evaporate I use a moist paper towel to wipe down the glass after it gets annoying to look through. It isn't too bad for me, as my tank is tiny. I don't know how I'd feel with a larger tank. I do try to keep my misting spray away from the glass and that does help.

How does the EE and moss work out together?
    cj

18. BL00DYMARY

CJ, I always soak a little spagnum moss and put a layer on top of the EE where I keep the empty shells. It helps keep the emptys cleaner longer. I keep a bunch of empties under neath the turtle bridge on top of some moss, and when I moved the bridge to clean out the shells last week I noticed they had some pretty extensive tunnels going on under the moss. I had to actually pull some of the shell out from the tunnels.
    I have been using declorinated fresh water to spray. I don't really need it that often now with the waterfall & the volcano, but I also used fresh declor water to soak my EE bricks. I have not had any problems with mold, but if you thnk the salt water helps, why not expand the EE with salt water & use an occassional spritz with fresh water to freshen it up?

19. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

It took my crabs a couple of days to figure out there was a second level, but once they did, let me tell ya they love the moss. Like I said there is only about 1 inch of EE and then covered with thick moss and I always have at least 5 crabs up there in or under the moss. My jumbo Straw is always under the moss.
    Jenn

20. CJ

Mary, thanks for the info. [​IMG] Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I have had family from Florida and North Carolina visiting and didn't make it to the computer the last few days.
    My hermies are always burying the extra shells and the shells fill up with the EE. I think I'll have to get some moss and try the empties on top of the moss. I, too, pull shells out of their tunnels.
    I do expand the EE with declor saltwater, but for some reason (which I couldn't tell you [​IMG])
    I kept spritzing with saltwater. I really could go back to declor freshwater when I mist.
    I have been looking for a turtle bridge around my area, but haven't found one yet. It seems the hermies really like them from what I've read on here.
    cj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.