1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what substrate do you (and ur hermies) like best?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by crazy4crabs, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I am currently using reptile bedding (crushed walnuts) in my crabitat. i have heard it isnt good for hermies so i have decided to hange my substrate. what does everyone use so i can get a feel for wht hermies like best and what works really well.

2. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

EE (EcoEarth) is a type of substrate that comes in bricks and you soak it in water to get it to expand. It is made of coconut fiber. Most crabbers use this. Some mix it with sand, some divide the tank half n half with sand and EE.

What NOT to use:
    1) CalciSand- this sand is nice to sprinkle in food as an added source of calcium for crabs, but it gets stinky and gloppy as a stubstrate

2) Gravel only- crabs can't bury in gravel

Whatever you use, make sure you can make tunnels in it (sand castle consistency) Keep substrate moist, but not liquidy or sloppy

3. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

My crabs love the Eco Earth (compressed coconut fiber). I had sand on one end of the tank for a while, but the crabs always seemed to bury & molt in the EE so now it is all EE for me. It holds moister & tunnels well and helps maintain the humidity in the tank too. I have had one after another successful main tank molts since I started using it.

4. crazy4crabs

So eco earth it is! lol. how much is it? where can i get it. i dont have a petco near me but i have a bensons, a johnsons, and a petsmart.

5. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Look in the reptile section. They sell it in brown compressed bricks or little disks under a variety of different names. When you soak them in warm water they expand (instructions will be on the package). I think they are about $3.99 a brick by me, although I have seen them for less online- I'm sure the shipping makes up for the price difference.

6. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

I use play sand. It's inexpensive and my crabs love it. Haven't tried EE yet. I'm on a tight budget. How often do you need to change the EE in the tank? I'm curious if my crabs would like it better.

7. crazy4crabs

Well if you go to petsmart the bricks of EE are only like 4 dollars. They fill up to a 40 gallon tank so I had my dad cut the brick into 4 pieces. I havent changed it in about a month but it doesnt stink plus I spot clean. I think my crabs prefer EE because as soo n as I put it in the tank 4 decided to molt at the same time!

8. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Wow that pretty inexpensive. Maybe i'll go get some as soon as my crabs are done molting. I have had one down for 4 weeks, another just went down and Blue has been eating and drinking all day for 4 days now. I'm never going to get to clean this tank LOL

9. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]

I went for regular old play sand in the end , i dont know what was going on with the eco earth and soil i had in there , the crabs dont seem to mind the sand.

Do you think the depth is ok ?

10. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

How big is your largest hermie?

11. Pharmoc

Pharmoc (Micro Crab)

erm well he is like 3 inches or so i useless with lengths but yeah his shell is 3-4 inches in diameter

12. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Generally the depth should be at least twice as tall as your largest crab, at least in part of the tank. I have a jumbo, so I have a "hill" in the tank where the sand gests 7+ inches deep so that my jumbo PP can have a good place to molt. In fact, he's been buried under the hill for two months now!

13. jenniferm

jenniferm "Never Molted"

We use sterilized play sand throughout the tanks with seperate containers of EE in it.. since some of our crabbies love the sand and others love the ecoEarth.. wish I could just go to all EE but I do not want to upset the happy colonies we have with their current set-ups...LOL

14. crazy4crabs

try going half and half. that way they can decide which they like beter. I was halkf and half for about 2 weeks and they all like the EE better. try it and see what happens!

15. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

I have playsand in my crabitat. My hermies seem to like it alot better than my other sand.

16. narelle2005

narelle2005 Hi, I'm New Here!

i have just started with my hermies and would like to no a bit more about them can you help me

17. Jason

Jason Moderator

Hi Narelle2005, Welcome to the forum.

Wander around the forum, you will find enought information to get you going. The forum is a wealth of information.

Jason

18. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hello everybody! I have two crabitats, both with playsand in them. The crabbies love it. My 20 long has three golfball size hermits in it. It amazes me the way they have built a series of tunnels and catacombs with just a thin tower of sand between them. For a feeling of cleanliness,maybe only perceived, I would choose the Eco Earth. I have it in my iso and it seems so easy for the crabs to dig into. It also holds the humidity better in my dry apartment. God Bless and have a wonderful Christmas.

19. crabbyclaws

crabbyclaws "Preparing For First Molt"

I heard that ee molds and attracts mites is this true?how often do you change it?

20. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

I use sand on my main level and reptile moss on the second level and Eco earth on the third level but my crabs seem to prefer the sand and molt in or on the sand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.