1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What size of ISO tank?

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by ninjasgorawr, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

Hello all- I am planning on getting 3 hermies for my 10 gallon tank. What size would you suggest for an ISO tank? (or do I need one?)

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I hate 10G and use them for ISO--so go get a 20L you will be very happy with it and keep the 10G for ISO :)

3. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

Ok, Thanks!

4. Stephen2342

Stephen2342 "Preparing For First Molt"

A 20L? How many gallons is that?

5. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

20 gallons but instead of it begin tall it is long.

6. Stephen2342

Oh, in that case I have a 29L glass tank in our garage. I also have a 10L tank. I highly doubt that my parents would let me keep a 29L tank in my room -- I'll even have to go through a lot of arguements for them to let me use the 10L tank. Do you think a 10L tank is okay for 2 hermies?

7. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

yes a 10 gal would be fine

my rule for hermits:
    2 gal per small
    3per med
    5 per large
    and aleast 10 per jumbo

use nothing smaller than a 10 gal

8. Stephen2342

Thanks -- both of mine are small (Kauai is almost micro) so I think they'll be okay.

9. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

I have two tanks, one is for Nemo, and the other is for Berry and Jack, but I think I need a new tank for Nemo. [Plus a partner.] But I'm worried that if I get him a new tank/partner, something bad will happen! What should I do?

10. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Maddy - why is Nemo in by himself and not with your other two? What species are they?

What size are your tanks? How long have you had them?

11. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

He was with another crab, but he died. And the other two were given to me by a friend so I didn't put him in there. And their all PPs:D

12. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Maddy, how big is you tank?? 10 gal?? if its a kridder keeper toss it.

13. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

Oh, now I'm embarrassed.:(It is one! Oh no! I'm such a bad pet owner!:(:( It's just that every time I tell my mom that I need a new tank, she says, oh no you don't, it's not worth the money! WHAA! I SUCK SO MUCH!:(

14. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

I get no support fro my family whatsoever. I have to pay for almost everything myself! And at the moment I have no money at all! What am I gonna do!?:eek::confused::(

15. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have three kks ( different sizes) and I find them invaluable. I usually use them as ISOs, so there is only one crab per unit. I don't Iso my crabs at all when I get them, but since I usually buy at least 10 crabs at a time, I use an ISO to keep them in during transport.

Kks are not a permanent tank for crabs, but I think they're great for the above reasons.

16. Maddy

Maddy "Never Molted"

Ok thanx. =)

17. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Hi Maddy I'm so sorry to hear that your family won't help you out with your hermies :( And you are Not a bad crab mom~! Since I have had my crabs, I have come across several people who think Hermit Crabs are unimportant, silly creatures, that don't require much of anything. But, we know that's not true, and I am not by any means saying that is what your family beleives, I know some of my family does though! I would try talking with them and explain that the KK is just not meant to be their home, and a 10G tank really won't take up that much room. Hopefully, if you let them know how important it is, then they will listen to you & understand. Plus, your hermie's will be very grateful!

If you haven't gotten a tank for them yet, then I would suggest checking out flea markets for one. I have seen tanks there, & for reasonable prices too. A 10G tank can run about $25 bucks at the stores, and that's not cheap! Plus, you may be able 2 get a tank at a flea market that is Larger & MUCH cheaper too. Lids can be pricy too, If you get a tank without a lid, then you can use some clear cling wrap, with holes cut into it, to keep humidity in the tank. Also, you can look in the trading post. As long as the tank has no cracks, then it should be fine. Just clean it with water after you get it & let it completely air dry, before adding their substrate. I hope this helps you some, and maybe you have already gotten a tank~! I think if both crabs are healthy, then they would probably be happy in a tank together. You can always give them a quick dip in warm Non-chorinized water so they smell the same. So let us know how everything works out with them :) Also, I'm not an expert on crabs, this is just my "attempt" at giving advice, so I really hope all goes well!!

18. drk_paramour

drk_paramour "Never Molted"

Well I live in Missouri (not sure how prices range in other parts of the country) but here you can get a 10 gal glass aquarium for $10 at walmart, so that may be worth checking out.

19. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

My walmart sells a 10 gallon for $10 too. I would suggest trying if you have not already gotten a tank. This is kinda an old post so I am hoping a new tank was purchased or given to the OP.

20. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

for iso maybe a 5.5 gallon aquarium

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.