1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You Decide?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by CudaCrabby, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

I don't recall how I did, but I stumbled upon hermit-crabs.com and started reading. The more I read the more fascinating they became. We started out with Red(straw) and PP's Mover and Shaker...now we have 3 straw, 3 E's and 11 PP's

Addicted?? Me?? What?? I hear the song...

It's not a habit, it's cool I feel alive, if you don't have (crabs), your on the other side!

There are 2 kinds of people...

Crabbers...and the rest of the world...

2. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] crabbie family! i always had crabbies growing up, they walked all over the house! we didnt have all the information we have these days nor the internet to look things up. i started re-crabbing in Sept. we have a local fair in our small city every year, and i have twin nephews , and one who is in foster care with my sister in law, however he gets treated much different than the other children in the home , and is old enough to know his mother ,and father, and misses them greatly. he loves dinasours, and any kind of fish , sea or other wise, he knows all the different specisis of whales , ect. so we baught 3 lil crabbies, only one lived , and the kids wore fast of liking them , so i adopted the one survior, and began to fix things for even just the one. about a month later i baught 2 more, however i baught one that was very sick looking , in hopes to save it, he died in december , i was overwhelmed with greif, most of you know that. however my hubby baught me a hudge tank , and i kept the two for a very long time, i actually baught one more, that looks just like crabcupluas', and 2 weeks ago my husband came home with two more, even smaller than any ive ever seen . the first night one of them got nakie, and i havent got any shells that small, i was very relieved to find her back in her oringal shell. she is so fiasty! right now they are all buried deep with in the sand. whew~ long story sorry, once you buy your first , and nuture them , you are hooked. i know this from how incredibally addicted the whole family are to mine now. they get all kinds of neet treats , and toys from Aunt susie, my husband, my daughter, the smaller children ( once very afraid to care or even touch them ) hold them when they are out , and watch with me for hours. plain and simple : WE ARE CRABBIE ADDICTS ! And without this site, i really know , none would of survived. i had no clue how much stuff they can and should eat , or how to care for them such as bathes ect...
    thank you HRCU,,, and all the other crabbie accdicts out there. hugs........ kathy

3. chattykathy

chattykathy (Micro Crab)

[​IMG] welcome alywren. ive been crabbing since i was a child, however seriously crabbing since september when i baught 3 one for each of the nephews. we lost two right away, and one lil sole survior is still with me, thanks to all ive learned on HRCU, i love it here, and the people here are kinda a family. hugs.... and welcome kathy

4. nene

nene Hi, I'm New Here!

i had hermit crabs when i was very little, but unfortunately, we didn't know how much attention and special care was needed to care for them. about a year ago, i went to my friends house and her stepson had a hermit crab. everytime i would go over i would play with him. (he didn't even have a name). well our fair came about, and i won a new hermie from there for the one that didn't have any companions. i even bought toys and food for them cause my friend didn't take very good care of them. i even told her that if they didn't want them, i would take them. a few months later i found out that she gave them to her daughter to take to school. i was so upset cause she didn't give them to me. i don't know what happened to them, i hope their still alive. so anyway, i've been asking my boyfriend ever since then, if i could get some. he didn't really want them. (he's scared of them!!) so about a month ago, i found our my sister's kids had two of them. one of them pinched my oldest nephew, and both boys was afraid to play with them. (she got them in may in north carolina) so i told her i wanted them. she said ok. well i went over to get them, and my my shock, they both was still in the critter carrier! with just rocks, a little cup for food, and one with water. but they were both too high to eat or drink. so they was dumping the food and water to get some. i felt so bad for them. i immediately took them home and decided to go to the pet store that night to get the ideal things to care for them. well when i got them home, i decided to pick up the one that didn't pinch and see how he was doing, (these two also didn't have a name) and he fell right out of the shell. i was horrified. he was dead. so i immediately picked up the other one, and she was doing ok. but was so pale and didn't look well. so i went that night, and got a 10 gallon aquarium, sand, plastic plants, and food, and put her in there. and i gave her a name, daisy may. i then went the next day and i got another crabbie, and named him brutis. when i got brutis he was in a soccer ball shell, and my boyfriend actually picked him out. (i didn't realize that painted shells was bad at this time) and i saw a little crabbie that cought my attention. he was in a blue shell with a cat painted on it. so i got brutis, and i just couldn't stop thinking about the one in the blue shell. so a day after i bought brutis, i bought the one in the blue shell and named him sheldon. i love all three of them and am so glad i saved daisy from what i know would have been a missrable and fatal life.

5. Hermitz101

Hermitz101 (Micro Crab)

I first saw hermit crabs in the mall when I was about 9 years old. I thought that they were the neatest things. So I asked my mom if we could get some and she said no, because we don't have anywhere to keep them. Then about 4 years later my dad and brother were gone to New Mexico, while me and Mom were staying home. Naturally we went shopping and breaking all the house rules.LOL. While we where shopping in the Mall, again, we saw some more Hermit Crabs. When my mom say me looking at them, she asked me if I wanted some, and naturally, being an animal lover, I said yes.The mall store actually had a good aquarium set up, and put the hermit crab in a small KK with calci sand, a sponge, and a calcium block, for a really good price. Later on I decided to reasearch about them and got another hermit crab and an aqarium, and I'm still finding ways to spend my parents money.

6. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

My partner kept telling me that she wanted to get a hermit crab for her twin 8 yr old girls, I just thought they were creepy. Anyway, one Friday night we went to Petsmart and brought home one and put him into a little 2.5 gallon hexagon tank with some cypress bark and some water. We all gathered around and watched him crawl around on the floor for a little while and instead of being creeped out, I was fascinated! Steph had a question about them so I got online and searched for hermit crabs and found a somewhat informative site, did some reading and found out that just about everything we were doing was wrong AND they shouldn't be alone and needed some buddies. Well, the next day I sat at work on the PC researching and said that we needed to go back to Petsmart and get some more stuff. Well, all day I sat making a list and that night we went out and after $200 and 5 more crabs we came home and got a little better of a setup going; those first 6 were all PPs. Then after more research I found out there were other species. That was all in Nov-05 and now almost a year later I've gone from one 20L tank to two 40B tanks and from 6 PPs to 8PPs, 8 Ruggies, 2 Indos and 20 Es. Oh yeah, and at least $1000 on tanks, foods, lights, heaters, lids and all the other supplies needed. Yes, it turned into an obsession/addiction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.