1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You Decide?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by CudaCrabby, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jess2mellow1

jess2mellow1 Hi, I'm New Here!

My director at the day care center I work at gave me an aquirium and asked what kind of pet do you want for your class? We already had a guinea pig so I didn't want a another rodent, we had fish in the hallway, and we really wanted a turtles but were not allowed because of salmonilia poisoning, so A co-worker told me to get hemit crabs, but more then one because they like company. That was about 8-9 ago and now since we lost 2 crabs, and I found out that the enviroment was too stressfull for the little guys I brought them home, and I'm leaving the center and didn't want them to get forgotten. (the guinea pig died the end of march after surgery) I never would have thought I would get attached to such little creatures!!!

2. Crabbynana

Crabbynana Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello, I thought this would be a good way to introduce myself. I was at a mall and ran across a Hermie Hut. All I could do was stare at all the crabs. I was Christmas shopping and I knew if I bought a couple it would be an implusive buy, so I went home and talked nonstop about them. Then two weeks later, I took my three grandchildren and daughter to the mall. We went to the Hermie Hut and I bought two teenie pp's, KK, sand, food, $22.00 later I went home with them. My husband is disabled and he was really excited about them. Than I went online and found out all kinds of things I wasn't told, so out I went to get the correct items and quite a bit of money later including 2 med pp's. We still have one teeny and one med that was our original crabs plus 22 more and a 75, 37, 20 gallon tanks with all the goodies. I've had them for 7 months and couldn't imagine not having them. I even set up a 10 gal with 3 teeny hermies for my grandchildren to take care of (of course mommy is just as into them as I am).

3. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Hi Crabbynana that is definatly the truth. I think many of us did the same thing you did. You start off with a few but in no time you have 2 or 3 tanks with many hermit crabs. They are just awsome.

Eric

4. Samantha1978

Samantha1978 "Never Molted"

My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary in Atlantic City. We were walking the boardwalk and I saw a sign that said hermit crabs for sale. We went in and there were so many hermies of all sizes. If I had known then what i know now..I would have realized that these guys were all not living in the proper habitat. We bought two babies for our son. We figured it would be a great gift. A lot better than the Tshirt we usually bring home. This was about a month ago and I have been online finding out all I can since. I started of with the small plastic home I bought in Atlantic City. After a trip to Petco, many hours online and advice from many people (Thank you), I think my hermies are doing pretty good. I fell in love with them instantly and plan on gettng bigger tanks and more hermit crabs!!

5. ashleigh

ashleigh "First Molt In Progress"

My friend wanted a new pet I really didn't need any more pets I all readly had 7 Axolotls, 15 fish, 2 mice, a dog, a rabbit and a cat. We went to our local pet shop and I saw these little things in a shell. I wanted to get some they where really cute. Well my mum said no way. My friend got some and we did research and more research. Well I tried to talk my mum into get some but no.Then came Christmas my uncle got me 2 little ones and now I have 10 and plan on getting more. Land hermit crabs rule

6. reachfortheskyy

reachfortheskyy Hi, I'm New Here!

hmmm im 15 and i wanted to have a pet that could go back and forth with me to my dads and moms...so i was like hey how about somethin small like a lizard NAH! id loose him
    then i thought about my sister and how she used to have hermies when she was little
    and so i researched for 3 hours and wrote everthing down and then went to my dad and recited everything from memory!! he was like call ur mother and ur BUYING IT
    she said she didnt care after 45 min argument haha
    so i got one and on my way to my moms 4 hours later in the car his leg fell off I FREAKED OUT
    then my sister was checkin him out in hour 7 that i had him and two more fell off i hadnt pulled on him or anything!!
    so now tomarrow im going to go to a different store to buy three of them because the other one died and now that i think about it the cage they had him in wasnt in good shape so im traveling far away from that store!
    and i have this obsetion with naming things so he never had a name...
    it has to be the perfect name!

7. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

well,after my fire-bellied toad passed away,I just couldn't stand the sight of seeing his tank empty.So after I cleaned out the tank ,I sat down and wrote a short list of possible pets I could get to put in the tank. I decided to choose between lizards,turtles,and hermit crabs.I had always wanted a lizard,but after research I decided that they weren't the pets for me.I have always loved turtles,but no turtle could possibly be happy in a 10 gallon tank for too long(plus i already have a tortoise to look after!).I didn't want to get hermit crabs at first.I don't even know why I put them on my "list".It was a joke really.But they were the only ones left so I began researching.I became fascinated with the little guys and began absorbing as much info as i possibly could.But here's the thing--I don't even have hermit crabs yet!I know this seems a little strange--I'm a member of hcru and I dont even own any hermies.But I'm already in love with them!I'm getting a few crabbies in a few (agonizingly long) weeks,and I have never been more excited!

8. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Not strange at all! In fact, I think it is wonderful that you are researching first. You will definitely have an advantage when you bring home your first set of crabs...be warned though, they are addicting [​IMG]

9. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

well, i had 3 hamster (hense my name) and i loved um. then they died (wimper). so i wanted another pet that i wouldn't get so attached to. then i got my first hermit crab, captin kangaroo. and i just fell in LOVE with him. then when he died i was mortified [​IMG]. so i went out and got some more hermies. names: mr. green jeans, captin kangaroo, houdini, snack pack ,and steelsack (steelsack, the trash bag) and now i love um all and i cant believe i didn't get them sooner [​IMG]

10. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I love their names...Captain Kangaroo was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid, so I can identify with Mr. Green Jeans and Captain K. LOL-I guess I'm giving away my age [​IMG] Snack pack and Steelsack are just fun to say!

11. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] Well Wendy, I'm right there with ya!
    Old enough to have seen the show the first time
    it aired on television!!

bob, welcome to HCRU! [​IMG] Your hermies do have
    really cute names.

12. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

ya my mom said it was a show she liked to so she just had to have those names. snack pack and steelsack were also her names to.

13. rodent111

rodent111 (Micro Crab)

oh and well, my names not bob, it's sydney.
    just wanted to clear that up

14. cfrederick

cfrederick Hi, I'm New Here!

I didn't really have time to think about it. I was sitting in the lobby of my office building waiting for my husband to pick me up, and one of my co-workers was going out the door. She turned and asked "Hey, you want some hermit crabs for your son? I have 4." I just shot out "Sure! I like hermit crabs." My husband feels we have enough with the 2 cats and the Boxer and the 2 guinea pigs, but I swore there wouldn't be much expense in having hermit crabs.

The next day she brought them in in their tiny overcrowded KK. Well, first we had to get a bigger crabitat. Kaching. $44.00. More sand! Kaching. Some empty shells. Kaching! Next came 2 new crabs. More equipment. Food. Decor. Toys. Climbables. Kaching! Hmm, ok, 2 more crabs! Then Kaching! Plopped down $80.00 for a biig glass aquarium, more sand, more climb-ables, glass canopy...I said to him "I wonder how fast I can run." He said "Not fast enough." He's so good to me. He said as long as I'm enjoying the critters and the other pets don't get neglected, he doesn't mind buying what we need for the crabs. I haven't added up the totals, but it must be over $200 by now, with all the internet shopping and local pet stores. I told him I have the perfect number of crabs right now (7) and I should have everything I need for their comfort. Their new crabitat is a project. I'm currently building a 2nd level, and working on the decor before setting it up and adding the crabs. This should be the last of the major expenses. (yea, RIGHT!)

15. Selkhet

Selkhet Hi, I'm New Here!

My first hermit crab experience was like a lot of other people's. I bought two for my son as pets, and I had NO idea how to care for them. The pet store guy said the plastic box and food he gave me were all they needed. My son named them Fred and Fred Jr.

It wasn't that we lost interest, but we wondered why they kept pinching us, and eventually we left them alone. We didn't have the internet to research, and I'm sad to say we condemned them to a slow and painful death of neglect out of our ignorance.

I have loved all animals since I was old enough to open my eyes, and it bothered me that I had failed to provide what they needed. I vowed to get it right someday, but life was put on hold after we had a house fire.

Now, 3 years later, my son is ecstatic to have hermies again, and this time we're caring for them the way they should have been cared for the first time! We have 7 crabbies, but I know there will be more!

16. BoondockSaint

BoondockSaint Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, my story goes like this my mum-in-law was visiting in the summer ans we were walking in a mall and she said look hermit crabs. We had the my 3yr old daughter with us, and she loved them. We brought my 6 yr old daughter to see if she liked them. She did so before we got them I went online to find out about them. It took about a month of research. We started out with 5, 1 went to crabbie heaven we just got 2 more. I call them the babies. I'm hooked a week doesnt go by that I don't buy something for them. It is crazy but they are so cute [​IMG]
    oh there names are Elvis, Shelly, Flower, Rainbow, 2 with no name.

17. hermitcrab2005

hermitcrab2005 Hi, I'm New Here!

I started to have hermit crabs a long time ago. About 4 years ago.I was 8 years,i think,then.I found out about hermit crabs from my neighbor.Now,3 years later,I find out that I need all kinds of stuff for hermit crabs.My first hermit crab was named Hermie.My brother got one,too.The hermit crab's anme was Stripes.There were in this little cage when my mom gave them to me.They were from Petsmart,a store that doesn't treat hermit crabs good.But i didn't know thta back then.I now have 2 ten gallons.One is an ISO,and the other's the main.I also have a spare ISO,which isn't in use because a hermit crab recently died in it when molting.I never knew that there were different species of hermit crabs until this year.I'm only 12 years old.I got my first crabs for my birthday,which was November 2nd.I had a fever,I remember.First hemrie was the shy one,but then stripes was.I always loved hermit crabs since i got my 1st one,hermie.I have never stopped having hermti crabs yet.I hope to be soemthing with animals,maybe hemrit crbas,when i grow up.

18. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Well, "the obsession" set in when I was 8 and my summer day camp had two hermit crabs. They became my official favorite animal for a year. As my mother is NOT a "creepy-crawly" person I figured I would never have one until I got out of the house. THEN (8 years later) after several years of nagging, I got one. Then two more. And I slowly improved on my tank. I am now to the point where I have one out while I'm doing my homework to keep from being too bored. The are awesome pets.

19. hermitcrabs=cute

hermitcrabs=cute Hi, I'm New Here!

I got hooked when i first say then at the mall. Sitting there with there shells of every shape and size! [​IMG] When I got home, all i did was research them till my eyes screamed in protest. And now here i am, living with my crabs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. alywren

alywren Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, I was working at a children's museum. One of the programs I developed was a seemingly impromtu or sponateous chance for the kids to explore something not usually available at the museum on a daily basis. Earthworms were a big hit and I wanted another creature that

A) would be low maintenance

B) the children could handle and touch without hurting the animal OR putting the children in danger

C) would be easy to set up and clean up

One day I was returning a tarantula to a local reptile store and saw the hermit crabs. Spontaneously I bought two. I kept them in a sand filled rubbermaid container in my office. The kids loved them, my co-workers didn't get it, and I was besotted. When I moved across the country I brought them with me. One didn't make it (though now I think he was probably molting and I just didn't know better) and I have added two more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.