1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You Decide?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by CudaCrabby, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Welcome Baby!
    Hope you enjoy the site!

2. Valerie

Valerie Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi. First, I just want to thank Regan & Cappa for making such a great site. Second, here's my story..

I've lived in NJ my whole life and we went to Wildwood a Zillion times. Every year as a kid I'd ask my parents for hermit crabs. My mom sais, "EEWW" [​IMG] and my dad said, "They'll die in a week. NO." [​IMG] I was always sad to leave becuase I couldn't see the hermies for another year.
    Fast forward to 2003. Since then I had a son, bought a house, got married, in 2001 I fell & broke my leg so I can't work, became depressed. In 2003 my parents got divorced and we went ot Wildwood to celebrate with my mom. Suddenly I realized I was an ADULT! [​IMG] I could get hermies if I wanted and no one could tell me no. Hubbie and I bought 2 with a cage, sponge, feeder shells, and two extra shells. I came home found Hermit-Crabs.com on the web and learned how very little I knew about taking care of my new babies. I then found Landhermitcrabs.com and found other people as obsessed as I was.
    I now have the proper set up for my hermies and in August I bought two more for a total of Four. And that's the truth! [​IMG]

3. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Valerie, hello and welcome aboard. [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here with our little hermie family. [​IMG] WOW now thats a great story. I bet you are very very happy to own your hermies. [​IMG]

4. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG]Suddenly I realized I was an ADULT! I could get hermies if I wanted and no one could tell me no.

way to go [​IMG] That is such a cute story. [​IMG]

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

When I was a kid, (a long long time ago) I was one of two people I knew that had a hermit crab. Most people around Buffalo had never even heard of a hemit crab for a pet. I distinctly remember having a 10 gal with dry sand, water dish (which I am sure was tap) and a food dish. Nothing else. Geeez wonder why that ONE did not make it..?? So just a few years before I got married, I decided I wanted a pet but I lived in an apartment that did not allow kitties or puppies. Hermit crab it was. Again-this was way before internet was a household word-another hermie death.

On my daughters 2nd birthday, I went to the pet store to buy some food for our pond turtles and there was a huge sign out front advertising that they had hermit crabs. My son, who will be 5 in a few months was with me. I strolled over to the hermie tank and explained what they were to my son and asked if he would like one for a pet. Naturally he picked out 2-which was fine with me. The girl at the store said they only needed to be fed every other day and to put a few sponges in the tank. That was the extent of her "care" instructions. They happened to be out of the hermie food and told me to come back in two days. I thought that it was ridiculous to feed them everyother day and knew I would have to find out what else to feed them. My son was very worried about them not having anything to eat. I logged on to www.hermit-crabs.com and have been addicted ever since. Of course I had to go back to the store to get the food and-you guessed it, came home with 3 more. It has just snowballed since. It is a nice hobby (I hate to call it that but for lack of a better word-hobby it is) to share with my son. He and I love to read new info and he thinks it is so cool that he can see them at the bottom of the tank. He keeps asking "Mom, I haven't seen Baby Hulk in a while, do you think he's moltin"

Thanks to forums and research, I have learned so much about the care for these little guys. My aspiration is to own at least two of each species. I have 35 crabs now ranging from itty-bitty micros to a pretty good sized jumbo.

6. Medley

Medley Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi all, I really don't know butr here I will try t tell you!

Why I love hermies,
    by Melody

Every time I saw a hermie
    I felt really soft inside
    is made want to hold it and
    love it with all of my heart,
    to give it food, to say
    have a hermie and I am
    proud of it! and I promis I
    always will be! so I guess
    that is why I love them,
    maby its because I don't have
    many friends, and they will
    never get mad at you,
    or say something was your fault
    they love you no matter what you
    have done and they don't care what
    you look like or what you put on
    in the morning, all they no is that
    they love you just the way you are!

Thank you managers!
    Melody.
    http://groups.msn.com/hermitcrabhelpers

7. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Aww, Melody, that was very sweet [​IMG] Your little hermies are lucky to have you as their "mommy".

8. Friek

Friek Hi, I'm New Here!

My turn! [​IMG]
    Ok I was introduced to the owrld of hermies by a friend. I was in the hospital and she had gotten one and brought him up for me to see. I thought he was the cutest thing ever! Well I went on to the comp (I was in rehab and they had a comp in a little room that patients could use, and no this was not for drugs [​IMG] ) well anyway I found www.hermit.crabs.com and read up on them. at first I wasn't really sure if I could take care of them and the fact that they get so big turned me off a bit. Well I bit the bullet and decided to get one, his name is TC and I still have him. My first two months or so of hermie owning all I did was read, read, and read some more. I now have 8 crabs that are doing well, cept hokus who had a bad molt and prolly wont make it [​IMG]. Other then Hokus though I have had no big problems with them *knock on wood*
    and so here I am still reading and learning and I couldn't be happier [​IMG]

9. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I just love to watch them. I love my crabitat, it is so much more fun that my fishtank [​IMG]

10. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Melody, that was very nice!!!

11. Jennifer Leatherwood

Jennifer Leatherwood (Micro Crab)

About 2 months ago my boyfriend Jim and I were browsing around at a local Flea market when we noticed the Hermit Crab booth. I knew it was there from prior trips but never went over just walked by, well on this particular day I decided to take a peek inside and see what all of the people were looking at. There were about 50 or so Hermit Crabs climbing around in a screen enclosure and they were climbing all over the place. I picked one up and instantly fell in love with his little face. So we left with 3. The man there said they were low maintenance and didn't need any special care. Well I took them home and put them in a 10 gal w/ gravel. Within 2 weeks 2 of them had died so we bought a book, found this site and pretty much became obsessed with them and pefecting their environment. Since then I bought a 40 gal and I now have 8 Hermies total and I was able to save one of the originals even though he came missing one leg. I love these little guys and I just can't pass them by without buying one.

Jenn

[​IMG]

12. littlealec

littlealec Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, I don't know.....I went into a Mom and Pop pet store to buy dog food and they were running a special on Hermies. It was one of those tiny plastic cages, with two crabs....I thought what a cool idea for Easter for my girls. I did a lot of reading online and found out (for the most part) how hermies should be taken care of. I went to Petco to make my purchase, and my oldest daughter ran into a girl who had over 30 crabs. She was a good source of info also. Unfortunatly with the death of Sebastian I have learned a few more things and will be getting some companions for Shelly. [​IMG]

13. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

I started with buying 2 little tiny crabbies for my kids. We did all of the wrong things and unfortunately it resulted in them dying in less than 3 weeks.
    When they died- it bothered me more than I thought it would. I started reading everything I could find on the internet and decided to try it again a month later.
    I bought 3 more (for my kids [​IMG] ) - than a month later...bought 4 more and so on and so on. Well that was almost a year ago now. And I now have 21 babies, that I truley love.
    I think the intial shock is over and my family just accepts that I have a UNIQUE hobby. They used to think I was crazy~!!

14. Person

Person Hi, I'm New Here!

Lucky you happy crabbies my family still thinks im crazy!!!!!!! [​IMG]

15. happy_crabbies

happy_crabbies (Micro Crab)

The funny part is that when my husband has a day off and I am at work... He will actually call or email me on what my crew is up to in the tank. He lets me know who is up eating, climbing or soaking etc....
    he denies watching them though [​IMG] yeah right...how can he resist????
    [​IMG] I think he may have been bitten ( or pinched [​IMG]), just a little by my little cuties....he's hooked- he just doesn't know it yet!!!!

16. crab*grrl

crab*grrl Hi, I'm New Here!

I had a couple when I was a kid but I don't remember much about them. They lived in a terrarium and I don't think they survived very long.

The next time I encountered hermit crabs was at a mall kiosk a few years ago (out of town mall). I watched them walk around but really had no interest in getting any more pets at that time.

Then, this past January, I was shopping at the mall with my sister and mom and my kids. The kids found a kiosk at our local mall and came running to tell me all about them. I decided they would make cute pets for my son for his birthday, and we liked the painted shells. I dropped $70 on two crabs, a KK, a palm tree feeder dish, and some FMR food. (Mall kiosks are expensive!) I came home and got online the next night, and BOY did I learn a lot about properly caring for them! The KK became a 10gal and the 10g is now a 40gal breeder with 14 crabs. So far everyone is doing well and my son and I really enjoy this hobby. I'm at Petco or PetSmart just about every week, though I'm trying to control the crab-buying behavior. The mall kiosk has since shut down, and as soon as I got new shells, my painted-shell buddies switched to natural shells. I like them better anyway. [​IMG]

17. abbey

abbey Hi, I'm New Here!

I was at a friends house, and another friend came over, she had just gotten her hermit crab and was on her way home, but wanted to show him off a bit first. I feel in love right then and there. Started to research like crazy, and learned a ton. I'm the kind of person who doesn't not research new pets before I buy them. That Christmas I got a ten gallon tank and some Petco money, and I started to set up a tank, then I got two E's and have been hooked ever since.

18. osippi

osippi Hi, I'm New Here!

I was actually looking for land snails. My dad and I went into the petstore, the lady said they didn't have any snails, and she picked up a hermit crab and said, "these little guys are fun, they're really easy to care for also, almost require no care at all!" little did I know! lol well, anyway, 4 years later, I love the little guys! I've had them ever since! : - )

19. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

When I was about six or seven, my mom took me to one of the petshops that was out of town. I loved going to petshops then and it was always a treat. I remember my mom staring intensely at an aquarium, and a man pulling something in a shell out. When we got into the car she plopped them into my lap and told me to take good care of them, they were hermit crabs. There was a dark red one, which was very calm, and a brown one, who pinched me every chance it had. They were in a ten gallon tank with sand, a dish of tap water, and another dish with shrimp. My mom was told that was all they needed. They didnt last very long and I remember being so bummed out that my little red buddy was gone. When I was 22 my boyfriend and I moved south of where we grew up, and after a while decided to check out the local petco. When I saw the tank I was immediately drawn to it. I wasnt planning on getting any, but there was a huge shell sitting in there, and I had to know what was in it. So after having and employee come over I lifted it up and saw a gorgeous light purple claw. I had to have it. It was the largest crab I'd ever seen. Well I went home with it, and Petco's care sheet. Diddly squat that did me. After a few days I realized something wasnt right with the crab. It just sat in the corner on the gravel and refused to come out. I figured maybe it was lonely and so I went back and found a pretty blue grey ruggie. I decided I needed to learn more about them, so I started my online search. When I first started out, every time I would loose a crab I would feel horrible, but I just couldnt stop myself from buying more. I realize now that sometimes losing a crab cant be helped, and I still really miss the second crab that I had bought. But through what they have taught me, in life and in death, is so valuable in alot of aspects. I never realized I would get so attached to crab with a sense of fashion.

20. livvyscrabbys

livvyscrabbys Hi, I'm New Here!

My four little girls Love dinosaurs, lizards, bugs...and we were looking for a good hobby for all of us to take on. I have had Hermit crabs in the past and thought of so many lessons that could be learned. My oldest daughter is keeping a journal, doing graphs and experiments with foods ect....middle kids help with tank cleaning and feeding and designing the crabitat and the youngest...3yrs...gets to color pictures of crabs and help with a bit of everything. Hubby even likes them...he is a state trooper and comes home late some nights....we sit in front of the tank with lights down low and watch them playing....nice way to decompress after a long night at work....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.