1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Made You Decide?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by CudaCrabby, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] Ok just alittle curious here as to what made you all deside to become hermie owners and what was it that you were so drawn to them about?
    Me, well i use to own hermies off and on since i was little and lived in Florida-thats where i was born, anyways over the yrs i was drawn to them not only because they were easy to care for but intresting and also they are very personable. I desided to get back into them once i had found out how to properly care for them and set them up much more better and natural as well but also because the fill a big void in my life, they give me much joy and happiness and also times of sadness but most of all not only do i learn from them but they bring lots laughter into this house as well.. We get many many hrs of entertainment as well as hands on experiance plus they never argue back with ya or give ya grife about doing simple house chores like the rest of the family does. LOL!! I love my hermies and i truely belive they are happy with there living conditions even though its not freedom in the wild we make them as comfy as possible.. They just seem to warm the heart and look at you with those devious beedy eyes who knows what the chirp to each other about, maybe a plan to take over the house someday and boot mom out.. LOL!!! There are some small studies i am working on and hopeful sooner or later it will not only benifit the hermies but also help the owners better care for them as well... [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

Mine is kinda long but worth reading, LOL Ok here we go, I hade just quit smoking for about 4 days and my Sister called me and asked me if I wanted to go to Petco with her to get crickets for her son's 2 Bearded Dragons and I said sure so any way we are waiting to be helped and this little old lady walks in and says to one of the Employee's"Oh I see that you moved the Hermit Crabs" I was like who in their right mind would have a Hermit Crabs for a pet, LOL [​IMG] any way I followed her to the Hermit tank and watched as she carefully pick up each one and said no not that one, no not that one either I was like come on Lady just pick one already. So finally she found one that she was happy with so she bought it. Well when she left the tank I went over to see what the big deal was and all I saw was these little rock looking these moving around so I of course asked if I could hold one and the second that I looked at that Hermie it was love at first sight and I just had to have one (one yea right, lol)so I told myself that if I didn't smoke any cigg's for 1 full month then I would get one. That whole month all I could think about and talk about were Hermit Crabs, so one month later the Family and I went to Petco just to "look" and we came home with 2 hermies and no idea how to take care of them. And now a year later my Hubby and I are the VERY proud Mommy and Daddy of 49 Hermit Crabs... Neither one of us have touched a cig sence....... We couln't afford both habits any way, [​IMG]
    Sandra

3. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

We went to Galveston, Tx two summers ago for vacation. While we were there my kids found some crabs while playin in the ocean. They sat their for an hour just playin with them in the sand and ocean water. They wanted to keep them but as that was our first day there I said NO. For 4 days they would find some when we went to the ocean. While we were there, did some checkin around and found out that we couldnt take those as they wouldnt live. Since then all I have heard is that they want them. This year for my youngest daughters bday, she decided the only thing she wanted was hermit crabs. I told her that she wouldnt get much of anything else as it seemed like would cost alot to get everything.. BOY was I RIGHT.!!! lol.. My oldest daughter has some interest in them but not like my youngest daughter. She is already asking when we can get more.. hehe.. and as they tell me.. I dont have any yet. They claim them all.

4. CudaCrabby

[​IMG] [​IMG]Awwwwww it just warms the heart reading everyones story, please keep the posts commin as its awsome we can share with each other how we got into owning and carring for our much loved hermie kids.. You both have very touching and wonderful stories. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. lilyofthevalley

lilyofthevalley Hi, I'm New Here!

Everyone's story is really great! Congrats on quitting Love4 [​IMG]

As for me, I don't really have an exciting story. I had seen hermies years earlier in a pet store at the mall, and I thought, "Who the heck would want one of those for a pet?" Then about two years ago, my boyfriend and I went into a petco to get supplies for his scorpion, and I saw the hermie tank. I instantly fell in love. I was really attracted to the idea that they switch shells. All of the hermies had pokemon and cinderella painted shells and I thought that was so weird and cool (I'm a big overgrown 6 year old haha). I went home and did some research on hermies, and I became obsessed! Almost everyday I would read websites or message boards learning everything I could. I talked incessantly about them to my boyfriend.

Finally, months later on my birthday, we had plans to go to the movies. He came to pick me up early because he said he had to pick up some food for his mother's parrots before we went. When we got there he suprised me by saying to pick everything out, because he was buying me hermies and the entire set up. Awww it was so sweet. I would have never gotten them on my own, because I was a little leery to take care of a pet that wasn't a mammal. I'm so glad he did that for me, it was one of the best presents I have ever received. [​IMG]

PS- As for the painted shells, I never ended up buying or having any, because of the issue of paint possibly being toxic and chipping. I still think that the shells are really neat, but won't offer them to my own hermies. [​IMG]

6. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

Well, we started quite a number of yrs ago. We were on Vacation in Wildwood, NJ, and we always walked the boardwalk! There were some hermie setups along the boardwalk and decided on day to get a couple. We ended up spending some money, getting four crabs and a large wire cage (we had no idea then). We feed them and gave them tap water everyday for the next year. The next summer we went down the shore and got more, we had to come home and buy a new cage, but started reading about them first, and found out we needed an aquarium. So anyhow.....30some crabs later we are addicted, and I can't walk into a store that sells them without wanting them all.

7. Tammi\'scrabs

Tammi\'scrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, here's my story, lol
    I took my 8 year old son to a fair I grew up going to, and couldn't wait to let him play the fish game. Well they changed it, now you can win goldfish or hermit crabs... well of coarse an 8 yr old is gonna pick the crab. so we had to pay extra for a small KK to bring the guy home. (they put him in a small cardboard box first)
    That nite we did a search on the net to find out more about this crab. the next day we went to a pet shop and dropped $70 on a tank, buddy and supplies. And I've been addicted ever since!!!! [​IMG]
    Currently we have 10, and as soon as 3 come out of ISO in the 20 gal. I am going to pick up a few more [​IMG]

8. CudaCrabby

[​IMG]Awwwwww these stories are so heart warming, keep them commin people.. [​IMG]
    Tammi, thats so wonderful you did manage to save one from that fair and im very glad you checked into how to properly care for them right away... [​IMG]

9. silvercamaro77

silvercamaro77 Hi, I'm New Here!

My boyfriend bought me one because I had been depressed for a while, and needed something to take my mind off things. Boy did they ever!

10. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

always bought Hermit Crabs on the boardwalk every year in Wildwood NJ as a child from 5 to 16 Years Old. That was one of the best things about summer vacation, hermit crabs! Especially as a younger child. Unfortunately I did not know half as much as I learned over the years then as I do as of now. I turned back into them when I was around 19, almost 6 years ago. I think at first it was a childhood thing but then when I really started learning and finding people more like myself it became a hobby and then yes, an obsession...LOL. Hermit Crabs are great in every way. If somebody ask me what did I like the most about them I would have to say there very long life span possibilities with the proper care. I always look for pets with long lives that can possiblie out live myself, very cool!

Cappa [​IMG]

11. Eric

Look at me today 40 crabs later, owner of HCRU, Lol. I am so glad i opened this forum as i am meeting so many great people like myself.

Cappa [​IMG]

12. CudaCrabby

[​IMG]First off WELCOME aboard silvercamaro77 and great to see you here, and wow thats great your boyfriend did that for you, depression can get the best of us anytime. *HUGS* [​IMG]

Cappa how does that saying go that Martha says, "Its A Good Thing" that you got this site together, up and running for everyone to share not only everything hermie but also the things we go thru each day with our lives and what we learn and can share to help others. [​IMG]

13. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

Great stories everyone.
    I can honestly say that when I started crabbing I knew nothing. My Snuggerpuddin(husband) and I were at the mall with our girls and there it was Crabby Island. The man selling them told me that all I had to do is give them fresh water, food, and table salt(yep table salt). I wanted them so bad my husband bought 2 of them and a small KK food, and 4 shells. The guy says now you have everything you need. When I got home I couldn't help but be sad for these poor little critters. The KK was so small that by the time I gave them food and water and their extra shells there was no room for them to walk. I decided that night that I would buy a bigger tank in the morning. In the mean time I went online. I was up all night spent about 8 hours reading and then I found LHC. The next morning I went to petco bought a 20 gal tank, a 10 gal for ISO, 4 more hermies, and everything else I needed plus. I ended up spending almost $300. I will say that I am glad I bought them before I learned how to take proper care of them cuz I probably would have never bought them if I did. Now, I couldn't imagine not having them. [​IMG]

14. iluvhermies

iluvhermies Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, one day, me & my mom were at Colorado Mills Mall. We bought some stuff, more stuff, and than ate at the food court... After we ate we bought more stuff. That's when I saw it. I saw a kiosk called "Hermit Crab Land"!
    "Mom, I'm gonna check this out OK?", I said. When I laid my eyes on them, I fell in love! [​IMG] Hermit Crabs! All sleeping, crawling around... I thought they were SUPER cute! I decided to buy one. That crab that I bought was TheSwrirlMister(aka Swirly). Right after we got home, I was smart enough to do some research.
    "Oh, shoot! I need to get some friends for Swirly!" 2 days after that, I went back to the mall and bought PipSqueak(aka Pipi).(I still didn't know to much about them and I didn't let them destress [​IMG] . About 3 months later, I got BB, Bonnie ,and Luna. And That is how I became a hermie owner!
    The End! LOL! [​IMG]

15. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I got my first 2 hermies about 25 yrs ago. I knew nothing, they died within 1month. [​IMG] I then saw them in a tourist shop and thought they would make a great take to work pet (I work with retarded adults) I still knew nothing (2yrs ago) I was sold 4 hermies(pp's), a wire round cage with rocks on the bottom, 2 shells one for food and one for a sponge & water, a jar of Hermit Crab Food, and a book. Well after reading the book I figured out there was alot more to keeping them than I had been told. I started reading more at the library and on line. I went to a 10 gal tank, w heater, gravel....still not getting it right...now I have it all together but it took a few months, lots of mistakes and many undue deaths [​IMG] [​IMG]. I have learned so much from the boards I have joined and sites I have researched I could never thank everyone enough [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. CudaCrabby

[​IMG] [​IMG]Awwwww these stories are so touching and wonderful, Mari i remember getting my first hermie over 25yrs ago all PPs back then, there was nothing out there to purchase for the proper care of them and also very very little info as well and yup i to knew nothing and lost mine quickly as well. [​IMG] [​IMG] All we had back 30 some odd yrs ago was the hermie some rocks and one of those plastic kidney shaped turtle bowls to put ours in. If it wasnt for people with carring/loveing hearts and also doing all the research they can to properly house and care for hermies i dont think we would have the hermies we all do today as we would still be in the dark about them. Its good we all have each other to suport one another and help when ever we can. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Eric

Very Great Stories, Thanks for sharing everybody.

Cappa [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. SuperMom

[​IMG] I just love stories with a happy ending. [​IMG]

19. babyreba

babyreba Hi, I'm New Here!

This is my first post here, and it seems like a good place to do an introductory post!

I got my first hermies about 15 years ago when I was in high school--I can't remember where we got them, but I remember we thought they would be neat pets to take care of. We kept them in a huge glass bowl full of gravel as I recall. We had them for a while, and looking back I'm surprised they lasted for the year or two we had them, considering their care was far from optimal!

But I always thought about them over the years, and earlier this year I decided I really wanted to get some again and started doing research on them. My BF thought I was crazy at first, but we went on vacation to Chincoteague Island in Virginia and we browsed all the tourist shops and looked at all the crabs and even he was won over! I was really kind of depressed about how the store owners really didn't seem to know much, if anything about taking good care of them them, so I got my two PPs on the island and since then I've been going to lots of pet store in my area and checking up on the conditions of the crabs and trying to talk (nicely) to the folks who work in the stores about better hermie care. I really had no idea I was getting into such addictive little companions!

I've now got nine crabs, 8 store bought and 1 jumbo Indo I adopted from a rescue who listed him on Petfinder!

20. SuperMom

I've been going to lots of pet store in my area and checking up on the conditions of the crabs and trying to talk (nicely) to the folks who work in the stores about better hermie care.
    [​IMG]I love your story and I have to say that I personaly think talking nicely gets more done. Most of the petstores don't like to be wrong, so rather than just coming right out and saying they're wrong. I simply start a nice conversation and let them know that I have been doing my homework on these cute little crabs [​IMG]. Then in a proper manner I let them know what they can do to improve their tanks rather than what is wrong (same thing I know). I have actually made a few friend at my local Petco [​IMG].

Hope to see lots of ya...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.