1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of diet to have my hermies on...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by BibblesMyBaby, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BibblesMyBaby

BibblesMyBaby Hi, I'm New Here!

I have three hermit crabs and they are on a commercial food diet at the moment, what are some veggies, fruits to feed them and any good home recipes that help your hermies grow and get all plumped up?

Thanks!!

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Theres really too many to list. Just go through this section and read all the threads. There are alot of ideas that members have posted! Enjoy!

3. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Go to epicureanhermit.com - Home and explore that site. They've got an extensive food list for foods that crabs should and shouldn't eat. AND they've also got some fantasic recipies there too.

4. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Base your crabs diet on five ingredients. First is protein. They must have a protein source every day. Give them chicken, beef, but especially sea food like shrimp, silversides, cod, oysters etc. This can be cooked or uncooked, no seasoning except for a little sea salt. The next ingredient is calcium, such as grated cuttle bone or oyster shell. The third ingredient is Zeaxinthin. There's a list of foods containing this on the epicurean website. The fourth ingredient is cellulose. This can come from oak leaves and bark or corncobs. The last is a source of lipids. To provide my crabs with this I often saute their dinner in olive oil. You can get a lot of good food at the Hermit Crab Addiction Store. Vicki can help you get some of the things you need. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.