1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this?

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by pblove, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I got the new crab last Friday evening.
    As soon as I got him home, I put him, in the little 3 gallon iso tank. He came in a cup with a little substrate in it from the store. Since this is a clean iso, I thought maybe I should put some of the store substrate in the iso tank, to generate some good bacteria??
    The new guy ate, drank and went under about an inch so far.
    The reason I know this is becasue last night,. I moved the climbing coral and could see him slightly under the sub there. I could see his eyestalks move so I immediatley put the coral back.
    But, there is a dead smell in the tank when I open the lid to put in fresh food, smells just like a decayed, dead carcass smell.??(sorry to be so graphic, but that is the only way to describe the smell)
    I did see him move last night and could smell it last night too, what could this be??
    Was thinking another hermie had died in the store/ substrate and I am smelling that???

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

It could be the substrate, but if it is really strong than it is probably the crab. Keep us posted. [​IMG]

3. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

It is not the crab or should say the crab is not dead, I peeked and he jumped.Now I am mad at myself for disturbing him.Just did not want to let him lay in there stinking adn baking if he was dead.
    It must be the nasty substrate I mixed in there! It was only a couple tablespoonsful, sure wish I didn't (mix the subs) now[​IMG](!

4. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I dont know if this applies, but recently I rescued 5 micros from petsmart and they came from a tank with a few dead crabs, so they themselves smelled like the death smell. They all came through just fine though. they had somehow picked up the smell from the tank. Is it possible he just smells? Change the substrate if it really stinks and leave him be, it could be that he just smells from the dirty tank. I didnt believe it myself, that crabs could smell dead from being in a confined area with rotting crabs... sad.. at least till I saw it with my own two eyes (*smelled it with my own two nostrils!)

5. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

Aviate I think that is the problem, he does smell dead, but he is not dead! I hate to distrub him, so hold my breath when I mist or change the food and water dishs.
    Once he comes back up I am going to give him a bath and put him in with the other crabs, thank you for your input.
    p.s. he was the only crab in a tank at petco, probably because all the others died?!

6. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

how is he now? wonder if something could be rotting in his shell.... ?

7. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

He is still under, same spot, I did move the sand to peek a little yesterday, he jumped so he is still alive. Jsut don;t wnat to mess with him any more then a peek every few days or so.
    The smell is still there, not any stronger, nor any less either???

8. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

[​IMG]
    I just got home from work, always run into the computer room and look at the crabbies tanks,
    new guy came back up some time today!!
    He is in his shell, hiding under some coral, I can see he ate some of that "T-Rex", fruit and flower crabbie food too. Plus, the smell is gone, so hopefully, the little guy is going to make it!
    He went under Jan. 7, back up Jan. 25.
    He did go under the first night I got him, so I guess he really needed to destress, just glad he had enough energy stored up, as he was not here long enough to eat but a few bites.
    I will get some pics of him soon, as he is still so new don't want to stress him at this point.
    I only had him for about 3 hours before he went under, it is like I just bought him.

9. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

WOW, congratulations Sharon-2 molts under your belt already....see how easy it is [​IMG] (yeah right-all the worrying we do LOL)

10. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I thought he was jsut de=stressing, but I jsut saw him come out for a little walk and he is much lighter then he was. Very light/pale greyish color from what I could tell from a distance.
    It was not as stressful with this guy, as he was new and I did not know if he was even going to make it from the bad conditions he had been living in at the store, no humidity,no heater, you know how it is in these darn stores!
    Now, Lilly is a differnt story, Princess Lilly.
    She is under again, hope she isn't pulling another molt on me, as she was doing a lot of shell shopping before she went under the other day??? [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.