1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is he??(pic)

Discussion in 'Species Identification - Identify Your Hermit Crab' started by MyCrabsr2kool, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyCrabsr2kool

MyCrabsr2kool Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm haveing a hard time I.D this crab Please help
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought that he might be a calco or crazy crab????

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

LOL,
    I didn't see this post before I saw your other one. He looks like one of the Calico/E's. Crazy Crabs (or as I have recently learned they are more properly called Aussie/Australian Crabs) look very similar, but have very definitive stipes on the section above the BP and on the 3rd sections up on the walking legs. In addition, Aussie Crabs have black setae spots on their legs similar to that of a Caribbean Crab.

There seems to be some debate about whether this is a Calico (which is how some suppliers are marketing them) or just an E with a different type of diet. My humble opinion is that it is some variation of an E and why not call it a Calico? LOL

Here is a pic of my Big Guy Reggae
    [​IMG]

3. Medley

Medley Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi,
    well he might be a mix! of like a blue clawed hermit crab and a strawberry, or a E mix! really I don't know! I had a hermit crab that looked just like that! and I still don't know what he was!!!
    Thanks.

4. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I believe that there are still coenobita species that have yet to be classified, so perhaps this is one of those.

I have compressus that I've been feeding up on premium gourmet crab food, and they do get that dark, but they don't have the lighter highlights, nor do they have that degree of freckling.

I have to agree, it does look sort of like a variabilis, but the spots are the wrong color.

Call it whatever you like, LOL! It's gorgeous, no matter what.

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

When pictures of these crabs were surfacing about 5-6 months ago, I was convinced it was just a big E. He is just larger than a golf ball. I was pretty certain it was not an Aussie Crab, but people were also telling me that the antennae were not consistent with those of an E. It still looks a lot like an E to me, but like Kerie said-who knows if there are other species that have not been "discovered" per se as of yet.

6. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

OOOooh! Speaking of which, I'm going to run some intensive global searches on the coenobita species I haven't seen yet that were mentioned in the Biology of the Land Crabs. Maybe I'll find out when I do that. Let y'all know ASAP!

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

beautiful pics [​IMG] of the hermit crab [​IMG]!!!

8. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I'm afraid I can't find any pictures of the five species of crab that I've never seen before. But I did find out that c. carnescens may be a juvenile form of c. perlatus. Impressed, anyone? ROTFL!

The eyes on that crab scream compressus, but I'm stumped. It will be interesting to see what colors show after a molt, then maybe we will be more certain.

9. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

I don't see to, too!!! Oh well!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.