1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Crabmier, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

o.k, so I thought one of my Straws, Mr. Krabs, was down destressing after a little scuffle with Harpell. After all, he just molted about a month ago. Well, I caught him coming up today, and watched to welcome him back. Little did I know I was soon to be horrified. Not only did his recently acquired beutiful bright red color turn to a very light fleshy pink, but his left third leg, (second from the claw), was deformed. The tip of it is pointing up. The leg is basically shaped like a "u". It also appeared to have a "chunk" missing from the rear of it. :eek: I felt so bad. He had decided to resurface between the water bowl and the wall of the tank, which is his usual digging spot. Poor thing had the hardest time getting out... that leg can't hold on to anything.:( I finally reached in and moved the water bowl and he was able to make it out. My question is, does anyone have a clue as to how this could have happened? Is it my care? Did someone attack him in mid-molt? Or did he just have a bad molt? I feel horrible, poor thing looks so pathetic trying to climb around. I know there is nothing I can do about it, but I really wish I could help him. Also, does anyone know if his leg will ever go back to "normal"? Maybe in a new molt? I'm going to be keeping a close eye on him for the next several days. :(

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

It's doubtful that you could have done anything to prevent that from happening. Unfortunatly these things do occur, and he will most likely adjust to his malformation. His next molt will correct that. Just make sure he has plenty of calcium and protein-rich foods to eat---cuttle bone, eggshells, scrambled or hardboiled eggs (chopped up) you can even mix the egg and shell together, shrimp with the tails on- unseasoned, honey, natural peanut butter, spirulina powder if you have any, and others that I can't think of right now.
    Keep an eye on him like you're doing, but I wouldn't bother him.
    You're a good crabby-mommy---hang in there:)

3. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Honey can be good to. I'm sorry he had a hard molt.:(

4. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Thanks guys. Mckenney, thanks for all the food listings. I have some of those, but not a lot. I'll have to stock up on 'em. I knew that crabbies could have the shells of eggs, but not the yolk. Cool:cool: I bet my guys will just love that!! Thanks again!!:D

5. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

No, way! :D You're not a bad crabby Momma at all. It's just a molt deformity probably. Let me know if Professor molts again and gets back his missing leg and antenna. the antenna was a fighting result, the missing leg was a molt issue.

6. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I offer my crabs kelp from the bulk bins at the natural food section of my grocery store. Usually I add a little dechlor water to it to make it a paste and my crabs always end up nibbling some. Sometimes I mix extra virgin olive oil with it (not too often) or you can mix fresh coconut milk with it too. Order some dried worm castings, organic - it's basically earthworm poop but it's full of wonderful nutrients for the crabs and they love it.
    You can also buy seaweed sheets from your pet stores and grind them up in the blender and store them in the freezer to add to their food, sometimes they like it wet instead of dry so add a little dechlorinated water to it. :)
    My crabs also love flax meal! These are foods rich in oils and proteins, very good for your crabs. :)

7. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Thanks for all the info crabbyjo. I have thought of the seaweed sheets, but wasn't sure if they were good for the crabs or not. I will be getting some of that today. :) Thanks to hermie's rule, I have a pretty big bag of worm castings from the addiction store. Although, the way my new crabbies eat (especially Sandy, :rolleyes:), I'm going to have to be ordering more here soon!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.