1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Feed Your Hermies???

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Hermies4Ever, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

When my crabs are going through a molt I always give them peanutbutter

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Why is that, Willow555???

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

They love pork chop with honey on it and their shrimp with olive oil and lime juice. Honestly, they attack the food bowl fairly equal-opportunity; they like dried shrimp more than the other dried buggy stuff I offer, but beyond that they like it all. I've got TONS of food, though, so they have a bunch of variety. I think I have like...10-15 different dried fruits, let alone the other food groups...

4. peach

peach "Never Molted"

um peanuts, mango, coconut, almonds, walnut, pineapple, cashews, pumpkin seeds, shrimp, peanut butter, egg shells, cuttlebone, calcium blocks for crabs, honey, crickets, mealworms, and some other fruits

5. Hermies4Ever

Thank you all for your responses to this thread!!!

6. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

I give them peanutbutter so that when they come back up it will be like a treat for coming back up! I think I'll try giving it to them on holiday too.

7. Jenna

Jenna Hi, I'm New Here!

I feed my crabs an assortment of food from Vicki's store. I make sure they are provided with at least one food from each food group in their dish.

8. Hermies4Ever

Okay, what treats do your hermit crabs prefer???

9. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

I am eating at your house. Next time we have chops I am buying them with the bone - they love to chew work those over.

Keith

10. Hermies4Ever

Do any of your hermit crabs like octopus/squid meat???

11. kgbenson

kgbenson (Micro Crab)

Earthworm castings are a favorite in my group - especially by the brevimanus. Next favorite would have to be coconut and then almost anything with some protein. Oak leaves and ketapang leaves seem to fall in and out of favor.

There is a single paper with compressus as the subject where it was shown that they animals would tend to avoid foods that they had recently

The reference is: ROBERT W. THACKER, Avoidance of recently eaten foods by land hermit crabs, Coenobita compressus Anim. Behav., 1998, 55, 485–496

and this is the abstract. The paper can be DLed from several sources:
    "Abstract. Land hermit crabs, Coenobita compressus, prefer the odours of foods that they have not recently eaten. I used a laboratory choice assay to quantify observations of these induced food odour preferences and to examine the mechanisms that may underlie the formation of these preferences. A potential benefit of this behaviour to land hermit crabs was examined by measuring the relative growth rates of crabs fed single-item diets and a mixed diet. Sex and age differences among crabs did not affect
    their formation of odour preferences. Land hermit crabs that were exposed to one food for at least 9 h preferred foods having other odours for the next 6 h. Crabs avoided odours associated with food consumption. In choice assays using artificial diets, crabs consumed more glucose than casein, yet both nutrients generated an equal amount of avoidance. Land hermit crabs that received a multiple-item diet of flowers, snails and seeds had higher relative growth rates than crabs fed single-item diets. Nutritional analyses showed that these foods differed in their nutritional composition, with flowers containing the most carbohydrates, snails containing the most proteins and seeds containing the most lipids. Broader
    diets resulting from short-term avoidance of food odours may benefit land hermit crabs by increasing relative growth rates, possibly through the consumption of a more nutritionally balanced diet."

Some folks may a bit more of this than perhaps should be made, but the key thing here is that if you want hermit crabs to eat more, offer a variety. Of course this only holds if other coenobita are like compressus. It does not mean that crabs will starve themselves if offered a single "complete" ration, but they will not be "inspired" to eat as much and grow as quickly as those with a variety.

I think most folks would suggest that hermit crabs of all species are more attracted to foods they have not seen for a few days than foods they see all the time. But the data only exists to truly make that claim for compressus. With my brevimanus, withhold coconut for 4-5 days and then put some in and it is a frenzy, a slow, plodding frenzy, but a frenzy non-the-less.

Keith

12. Hermies4Ever

Do your hermit crabs like octopus/squid meat???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.