1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Do You Feed Your Hermies???

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Hermies4Ever, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I have not included a poll, I just assumed you could type it out in the provided space, below.

What do you feed your hermit crabs? By this, I mean what is their main diet..;)

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I found this great type of cereal with 7 whole grains and I feed them that about 2 times a week but other than that I just throw in some meat fruits veggies and nuts and seeds and they get what they get.

3. Hermies4Ever

Thank you for replying to this thread, Cococrisp. I feed my hermies a pelleted crab diet. Also, the occasional coconut.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You can go ahead and throw that out. Pelleted food is not safe. If you read the ingredients list it's go all these preservatives and can be toxic. Also, you should feed them meat or eggs every day. If they don't have enough protein or clacium they may be come cannibals.

5. Hermies4Ever

You mean they'd eat each other? Okay, I will try to serve meat and eggs every day, and I will trash the pelleted crab food. Thank you, Cococrisp!

6. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Yes, crabs will eat each other if they don't get enough protein.

I've started something new this week - base food is cooked chicken and rice with lettuce and carrots mixed in, then I mix in a bunch of dried foods (a dried fruit, cellulose, algae/seaweed, trace mineral food like worm castings, veggie, cuttlebone treat, calcium, nut or grain, flower, protein with calcium (sea critters like shrimp or dried bugs), protein without calcium (beef, pork, fish, egg, etc.)). They really like the variety, and I can rest assured that they get the nutrition they need.

The guys I had that used to be fed a pellet are the biggest pigs in my tank still. They haven't had pellets in 3 months, but they still chow down as if they're afraid that they will have to start eating them again. I haven't seen a single 'pellet' or 'powder' commercial food that is actually good for crabs and won't kill them due to the chemicals they put in them to make them last longer on a shelf until they're bought.

7. Hermies4Ever

Do your hermit crabs have a particular preference to coconut???

8. emmac350

Honestly, they've never seemed to like it. I don't do fresh coconut though, so maybe that's why? They've always ignored coconut thus far anyways.

9. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Mine love the outside of the coconut.

10. Hermies4Ever

My hermit crabs like the meat and milk of the coconut. . .

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

Emma if you have any coconut, even dried, heat it up for a bit inthe microwave(a second or 2) and it will release the oils. Maybe that will do the trick for your crabs.

12. emmac350

I've tried doing lime coconut chicken (raw chicken + little pieces of dried coconut + lime juice, then microwaved) and even I could smell the chicken, but they never touched it. Smelled really nice though!

13. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

i give them my dinner -salad (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, cabbage), tuna fish or eggs, some fruit and nuts. some times i`ll put in some chicken or peanut butter. it`s hard to tell what they like best because they are tiny, but i noticed they really like apples and they eat more if i leave the food in for 2days at a time.

14. erksh

erksh "Never Molted"

Mne didn't much like chiken or tuna but the ground beef I zapped in themicro went over like gangbusters before they all went under.

Right now, I am keeping dried shrimp, random fruit, coconut and cuttle in the tank for night risers, but I think we have everyone under for a good long time -- nothin has been touched in a couple of days in the main tank.

15. emmac350

When they all go under at the same time I usually switch to just dry food so I can leave it in until it's been disturbed (or a week, whichever happens first). I'm making an effort to feed more fresh food daily, so it's been fun. Rice, chicken, lettuce, carrot daily and then bits of other stuff (pineapple was 2 days ago, then shrimp yesterday) and all of their dried Addiction foods. Yes, my crabs are spoiled, and yes, they love it. :)

16. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

which dry foods do you use?

17. emmac350

Ones from the addiction store. Every night, they get the following types of dry food - fruit, cellulose, algae/seaweed, trace elements (bee pollen, worm castings, etc.), veggies, cuttlebone powder, nuts/grains, protein with chitin (dried shrimp, bloodworms, etc.), flowers, and protein without chitin (beef, chicken, fish, etc.).

18. Hermies4Ever

Do hermit crabs like dandelions???

19. emmac350

I don't know if they like them, honestly, because there's so much food in the food bowl any given night that I can't tell what foods specifically they were going after. They always eat their dinner, though, like good little crabbies. :)

20. Hermies4Ever

Yea!!! What foods/treats have you been the most successful with???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.