1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you feed as an everyday food?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by crazy4crabs, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

I have been using HBH variety bites for about a month and then realised it has the E chemical in it and I want to switch to sumthing else ASAP. What does everyone feed their crabs as an everyday food? I feed them lots of fresf foods so Ill be okay for a while but I really want to start them on a dry everyday food.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I feed them Naturally Crabby's food mix or Epicureans Hermit Crab Cuisine. I keep a clamshell of one of these in the tank 24/7. I add fresh foods nightly.
    If you're interested in the Epicurean line of foods, jsut contact me as I sell Julias foods.

3. crazy4crabs

Really? How much is it? Im looking for sumthing that I can get for cheap that is good for them. What do you have?:)

4. reader101

reader101 Banned

:rolleyes:
    I find it very strange that you are asking this question after posting a very researched response just yesterday on the topic of food.
    Did anyone else notice?
    Not the first time, either.

5. crazy4crabs

Im just trying to see what kinds of varitey i can give my hermies.. you wouldnt want to eat the same thing everyday know would you? plus im going shopping later so i want to see what i can buy. sorry if it bothers you.

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

It doesn't bother me in the least, since you apparently know very well what hermies need. As for mine? They may get a repetition in their diet maybe every 7 days, aside from the basic essentials, with a special treat every day.

Happy shopping! (And belated Halloween).
    p.s. They love pumpkin! As well as many of the other basics you previously posted.

7. crazy4crabs

thanks. I didnt get pumpkins this year (it slipped my moms mind) and I was quite dissapointed... no pumpkin seeds...

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

The Epicurean Hermit Crab Cuisine is $5 and will last a good 6 months. There's also Krabby Trail Mix, Flowery Fruit Fantasy, Molting Food, Very Veggies and more. Most packets can be $1-$3

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

Was this really necessary? Let's all be nice.

10. reader101

reader101 Banned

I only stated the truth. Don't you see the discrepancy? I can see where it helps your business by posting leading questions, but I can't help but wonder why someone with 6 yrs. experience would ask a very basic question, and yet have so many answers.
    I have requested that it be kept private and off postings, but I'm sure others have noticed similar occurances.
    :(
    Feel free to pm me if you have issues.

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

Helps my business? :confused:

To be honest I didn't read every single post of Crazy4crabs. The ones I did read with your replies, this one and the other food one, is what caught my attention.

Take it to PM and off the boards. The bickering makes forums an unhappy place. People come here to get advice and to enjoy the site. Not to see someone go after another member.

12. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

how about tuna that is packaged in a enevlope vereses the can? Im trying to think of nice things to feed them.

13. Shiya

Shiya "Never Molted"

I would watch out for canned foods, since they tend to have things like salt and other preservatives in them, which can be harmful to your crabbies. If you want to feed them tuna, go to your grocer's fresh seafood department and pick some up! You can either feed it to them raw (( it's how they get it in the wild, after all )) or cook it with no seasonings or anything.

14. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

This is such a hot topic! What should we feed our crabs? I've been trying to feed mine a balanced diet for about six months now. I'm running out of choices. I think it's wonderful that we have a source of good quality food available which will give our pets lots of variety. We have other sources that will give us definate educational tips. Let's share what we know and enjoy having a common hobby. God Bless.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

If you ever run out of ideas for what to feed them, check out Julia Crab's crab site. It's got recipes,edible and non-edible food lists. Plus she and other members post pics of their crab food dishes they make!
    epicureanhermit.com - Home

16. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Thanks Vicki. I think I'll do just that. I need all the help with my crab's diet that I can get. I look forward to hearing what other people feed their crabs too. I hope we can get back to it.

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

I can post the edible list here if you want.

18. vckums

vckums Moderator

One thing I've found easy to do is scrambled eggs. At first I did them plain. Now I just look through the foods I have and add a few items to the egg mix. One that was a BIG hit was krill in the scrambled eggs. They went bonkers.
    I think I still have a pic of some food dishes I did.
    Here's one of the eggs
    [​IMG]

Heres a dish I did for a contest. I made seaweed rolls(not sure of the correct name) They had rice and tuna in the middle. I also did a sesame seed and honey shrimp. The flowers are also edible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Shiya

Shiya "Never Molted"

Oooh, you made them Sushi! That's so neat. XD Did they like it?

20. crazy4crabs

well I see this topic is booming. lol. i have no upgraded my crabs from dry food to things like celery leaves, shrimp and even a small amount of lobster when my parents make seafood linguine. they seem to be more active since I switched their food. its worth the hassle of finding food they will eat and things they wont.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.