1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do I do with this crab?

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by lynn1212, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lynn1212

lynn1212 Hi, I'm New Here!

I recently purchased a new hermit crab from a pet store because I felt sorry for him. He is at least 2 times the size of his shell and his front half hangs out. I purchased some larger shells for him thinking that he hadn't switched because there was not a choice of larger shells in the tank at the store. After getting him home and giving him a few days to adjust to his new surroundings, I took him out to see how friendly he was. He's very friendly, but that's when I noticed that he is missing at least two limbs, and has a hard time getting around because he has to lay on his side. I was wondering if I should isolate him with a few larger shells in the hopes that he will switch to one more his size, and how long might it take for his limbs to grow back, if ever. Thanks.

2. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I do not handle my crabs in the first month after bringing them home...helps them to adjust and de-stress. Crabs usually will regrow limbs when they molt. I do not iso my crabs, but I know others do. I have seen crabs with missing limbs get around slowly, but surely and do ok until they molt and regrow the missing limbs. Welcome by the way...lots of great info here!!! Good luck and Enjoy!!!!

3. hawkins07

hawkins07 (Micro Crab)

Welcome! And sorry silver but i must disagree! I play with my hermies after bringing them home. How else do you know how agressive or friendly they are and their usual habbits! Anyway I have the same problem minus the missing limbs with one of my hermies. Strawberry is a straw and is too big for his shell. Im hoping when he molts he'll change shells!

4. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

Welcome!This site is very informative:) The first day when I get a new hermie I let him/her sit in iso for an hour while I watch.(Lol) & then I take him/her out see if there a guy or a girl.Finally I put them in the main tank.
    For example though when I got my new straw (Spiderman) recently I had to setup a salt water pond.Some of my hermie's when I got them they were missing just the tip of their legs,& only one had a leg missing.Hope it helps.:)

5. choppylikespringles3

choppylikespringles3 "Never Molted"

my hermie scooter is missing both of his out side legs that is how he was when i got him and he has ajusted(??) so he uses both his claws as out side legs he moves very little but is the sweetest crab i own!
    he also is far to big for his shell I have had him for a month i have not isoed him ever! if your other crabs start to pick on him i would iso but if not you can just leve him in the main tank thats what i would do!

6. MarieEvans

MarieEvans Hi, I'm New Here!

Take good care of it they are good pet :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.