1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What climbey things do you use?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Donna M, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

The substrate below is somewhat soft and cushions their fall. They would have to fall from a pretty good height onto a hard surface to really hurt themselves. I've never had a crab suffer any doom from falling off of something in the tank.

2. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have Es and they tend to walk backwards. Others with Es will attest to this.

I would suggest to not putting anything hard under areas where they most likely are to fall, so when they do, it will be on the substrate.

Crabs are hardier than we give them credit for. We once saw a small crab who was on the shelf over the tank (another story), make a run for it. He jumped off the shelf, fell about two feet into the hole in the mesh top, landed in a concrete-like swimming pool on his feet and just casually walked away.

3. Moi

Moi Hi, I'm New Here!

It's a bird, it's a plane... it's SUPER HERMIE!

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Actually, his name was Spiderman!

5. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

I guess I'm just a worrier. (about them falling from an upper level). Moist sand is not what I would call "soft" by any means. But I'm going to mix in some of the "mulch"-type substrate that they sell for hermit crabs. I think it would be more diggable and warmer. And softer!!

6. dorothy

dorothy Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow lots of great ideas, I crochet, so I made a small narrow net out of cotton. The crabs seem to like it a lot. I just attached it under the lid.

7. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

Dorothy,
    I just saw your reply and what a great idea about the cotton net! Very clever, and quite a money saver......

Thanks for the idea,

Donna M.

8. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

Are plastic plants safe? Because I have the choice of buying a plastic plant for $2 and a silk plant for $5 (both same size and type), and would prefer to save the money. Should I just suck it up and buy the silk plant?
    One more thing- I have WAAAY too much stuff in my 10 gallon tat and need to get rid of some stuff. Here's all of the deco stuff I am trying to determine what to take out. What should I choose?
    6" Choya Wood, 13" Driftwood, 7" Coral, 2 plants

9. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Don't get rid of your extra accesories. just take out the excess of what doesn't fit and place one or two things in the tat on a rotational basis. If I would get rid of anything I would get rid of the driftwood and one of the 2 plants.

10. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

cool, thanks! any opinion on the silk/plastic plants?

11. dorothy

dorothy Hi, I'm New Here!

The crabs seem to like it. I have made several, one is just long, so they can climb up, and the other is triangular and put in the corner. My kids call it a hammock, but it is more like a shelf with a crochet ladder coming off of it.
    This way you can make what you want and make it fit, and they also have lots of different colors of cotton yarn to match your decor. :D:D

Dorothy

12. voldemort4494

voldemort4494 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a question about lighting. I bought a plant light for the tank cuz the store didn't have any moon glow bulbs. will that suck out the humidity and not be good for the hermies? also I bought white beach sand. will that be ok? please help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.