1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What climbey things do you use?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by Donna M, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

I was pricing the heavy aquarium plants and fake coral in the pet store, and they are just too expensive. What else can I use? I like to change things up so the little fellas don't get too bored.

I thought of a short piece of thick, heavy rope, but have no idea how I would anchor it up at the top of the tank. Most of the "driftwood" in the pet store is not only expensive, but very smooth in texture and I don't see how a crab would be able to hold on while climbing.

C'mon, I'm sure some of you have come up with some creative ideas to help keep the costs down! Time to share! (LOL)

Thanks,

Donna M.

2. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

I use nets (from the craft section at Walmart-soak it in boiling salt water), cholla wood (from the petstore) and grapevine wood (also from the pet store). I also use the aquarium stuff that I had leftover from the fish aquariums I used to have. You can use the bendy vines in the reptile section too, but they are kinda pricey! And you can use ivy vines to dress stuff up a little!!

3. Donna M

Thanks, Alli's Mom, for the ideas. The netting is a good one. How do you attach it to the tank? And in reference to the wood sold in the pet stores, it all looks so smooth. They really can hang on to it?

Do you think I can use artificial plant vines sold in the floral section at craft stores? Some have a strong plastic smell. Do you think that could hurt the crabs?

Thanks for your input!

Donna M.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Netting can be attached with suction cups. You can find "locking" plastic suction cups at Wal Mart in the "hardware" section.

5. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

I used some rock from my old fish tank. Cholla wood, hemp nets, those fake vines and plants from petsmart...they were not too bad priced there.
    Not sure about strong smelling fake plants...I would use stuff that is meant to go in a fish tank...jic

6. alli'smommy

I use suction cups to attach the net. Also, I use the ivy vines from the floral dept at Walmart--never noticed a smell though. If it smelled very strong, I probably wouldn't use it--IDK, just my opinion though! The wood I buy at the pet store isn't really smooth, so idk about that either!!

7. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

I saw a picture of a tat (in one of the forums I frequent) using a reptile ramp from the ground floor to a second level.

Suction cups with no metal on it works.

8. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

By the way, you know a great place to get suction cups??? Dollar Tree or Dollar General. I got 50 of them for a dollar. They've great prices. Also, Vicki's store is full of greatly priced climbey things and nets. Also, hermit crabs can hang on smooth driftwood. Mine do. Driftwood? That's great to get at a beach you can bring back seaweed and everything for the crabs. Be sure you sterilize it in dechlorinated water first though. Hope that helps.

9. dbolack

dbolack Hi, I'm New Here!

We use net, grapevine, Choya (Elmers Aquarium in PGH had some really nice, big, knobby choya, not like the stuff that looks like a small loofa.), plastic canvas (VERY CHEAP), and artificial plants and vines ( which as a seasonal product are easy to get on clearance. We also have some Mopani wood I have put in yet and live rock we've not used in a while.

10. alli'smommy

YES!! Thanks for mentioning that! I forgot! Definately make sure that the suction cups are metal-free! If you have some with the metal hooks, just remove the hooks!!;)

11. Donna M

Thanks to all of you for the great ideas!

I'm fairly new to the crabby world, so can you tell me what the deal is with the "no metal" rule? Is it because the metal can rust or is it for another reason?

Thanks again,
    Donna M.

12. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Crabs tend to eat everything and anything that is in their tank. The rust is one bad point. You may also have some of those cheap metals that are painted or coated with a metal based paint. That eventually flakes off and you don't want the crabs eating that (or the rust).

13. Donna M

Thanks to all for the ideas! It's funny, though...... have you noticed that the more ideas we get, the bigger the tanks have to get? I just bought this tank not long ago, and already I'm thinking I need a bigger one! Geez!

Have a good weekend,
    Donna M.

14. ScottishStu

ScottishStu Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello Hope everyone is well. soz ive not been on in a long time been very busy. on the subject of climbey things i made a second layer in my tank out of coconut fibre background.

what i did was cut it so it was the width of my tank, laid it horizontal and fastened in place with suction cups. i keep the hermie food on it and it makes a nice dinner plate(easier to clean up their mess).

it sits bout half way up my tank an to help them up to it, i have a jungle vine in a rainbow sort of arch . the corner of which leads up to the second level. and for a third part, got a hermie ladder leading up to it aswell. the good thing is the crabs love climing up to the second level, over and under it. :D simple but effective:) (clearly my proudest moment)

15. Donna M

You all have given me some great ideas! Thanks so much! I only asked because everything is so expensive nowadays, I have to watch my pennies. I'm sure some of you know how that is! $15.00 artificial plants is the last thing I should be spending money on, you know?

One day I'd like to add a ramp to a second level, as Cheryl mentioned. That would be very cool.

Thanks again!

Donna M.

16. Hez

Hez Hi, I'm New Here!

Do you have to worry about the hermies trying to eat the fake plants?

17. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

It doesn't seem like they enjoy a sprig of plastic ivy. You just have to watch for exposed wires.

18. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

My plastic plants are in shreds from their nibbling jaws! :)

19. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

:confused:Are they hungry?;)

20. Donna M

To ScottishStu and anyone else that has a second level:

Some of us were discussing an another post awhile back that some crabs (like mine!) seem to have no sense of impending doom. Specifically, when they come to an edge of a "cliff", they just walk right off the edge! When they walk on my hands, as I put one hand in front of the other, they don't even look to see if the next hand is there........they just go. I've had them accidentally fall into my lap. If they fell from a second level, couldn't they hurt themselves? Would they learn after they took the dive a time or two? Or are my crabbies "intellectually challenged"? (LOL!)

Thanks,
    Donna M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.