1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can live in the same tank as Purple Pincher Hermit Crabs?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by lSnowConel, Dec 20, 2009.

1. lSnowConel

lSnowConel Hi, I'm New Here!

I am curious if any other small species can coexist with my land hermit crabs inside my 20 gal?

Here is a picture of my tank.
    http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/jennerader/crab09006.jpg

Inside are 3 medium sized PP hermit crabs. The substrate is coconut and sand, kept at sand-castle consistency. The temp is always between 70-80 F, and the humidity is 70-85%, providing both fresh and salt water, with a secure screen lid.

I already have added home bred woodlice, other then that nothing else is kept inside my tank.

Someone has already told me mud skippers but I would need to add a larger salt water pond and remove several things to make it safe. Any other suggestions?

2. Spiral

Spiral (Micro Crab)

your mudskippers could get eaten. You can try fiddler crabs.

3. lSnowConel

lSnowConel Hi, I'm New Here!

the person who suggested mud skippers keep mud skippers in her tank, she claims they are faster then the crabs so they don't get eaten...

but again, my reason for not wanted mud skippers is mostly because I would have to alter my tank to have a larger salt water pond and I don't want that.

4. willow555

willow555 (Large Crab)

You could probably keep some kind of turtle in there.

5. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

imported_xAiZaOnigirix (Large Crab)

as spiral said, i've seen people with fiddler crabs in their hermie tank, but that person also informed me that he will be separating them because the fiddlers tend to be territorial. also, you will probably need a significant amount of water. i can send you a link if you'd like to ask him questions; he is very knowledgeable.

6. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

i believe turtles require a swimming pool for them, a heat lamp (so that would lead to... no humidity) and i don't know how much of a danger they might be.

You can keep other species of hermies in your tank. I have PPs and Es and they're fine. (strawberries would need more salt water, though)

7. Spiral

Spiral (Micro Crab)

Don't think they can run when their sleeping at night  :tuna:
    Anyway you are right about the water part.

VERY bad idea...

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have tortoises and have kept turtles in the past.... Tortoises, NO, No, No. They make great pets but require hot (95) basking places and arid conditions. Turtles, as you all know, reptiles carry diseases. Turtles and tortoise can carry ticks, mites, herpes, salmonella, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. Now, the pets that they sell at the pet store are awful. they were probably shipped in from somewhere in a cardboard box and half their buddies probably died. They carry all those pests above from being mistreated and kept in wimpy little ten gallon tanks. Now, that cute little RES you see in the window of the pet store will grow to be bigger than you ten (2 feet). Red Eared Sliders are bought on a whim all the time. I go on craigslist daily and there are a good dozer + always available that have outgrown their tank. Plus, why would you want bugs in your tank? They'll just dig down and go away and who knows what kind of diseases and germs they have?????

9. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I agree with what everyone else has been saying - on another forum we had someone post "Don't keep hermit crabs and geckos together!!!" because apparently he/she woke up one morning to watch his/her crabs picking at the dead body of one of his/her geckos. Crabs do exist in the wild with other animals, I agree with that, but even if you could find another animal that required the exact same conditions as crabs (heat/humidity, substrate, etc.) captivity tends to make all animals more territorial and causes aggression much more. Besides, while crabs may co-exist in the same environment as other animals in the wild, they have the option of getting away from them if they don't want to be near them. In a tank, they're forced to have the same habitat that's much smaller and can't get away from them.

10. imported_xAiZaOnigirix

:ditto: eeeexactly! animals in captivity cannot run and become more territorial because there is only so much land to "claim!" that's why aggression goes down with more room. Just the other day when i put three new Es in my tank, it was the first time i heard hermies make noise- all my PPs and an E where trying to cram into the cocohut. Not happy campers!
    In the wild, as emma said, if a creature is unsatisfied with it's company, it can leave it in the dust. Seeing an unwanted roomie constantly would not only make ANYONE upset, but possibly upset enough to attack each other. keeping things similar to the wild can be good, but it must be taken into account that the variable in the equation is captivity, which changes the whole answer.