1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your crabs eating tonight?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Amie91280, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

Just stop alltogether. There are no laws that state that they have to list all of the ingredients in pet food.So Just because it doesn't say it has it,Doesn't mean it doesn't have it.(sorry if that last sentence was confusing)It is more than likely that your crab food contains some type of preservative.

2. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I agree with the post above. I inherited some commercial pellets from my crabs' previous owner and they didn't list EQ on the label, but when I looked it up online in the product info on I think Petsmart's website (or was it Petco? I don't remember; sorry, long day...) the ingredients for the exact same product listed Ethoxyquin. So just because it isn't on the bottle doesn't mean that it isn't in there, like was stated above.

Besides, why spend extra to give them commercial food when you can give them food you already have? Or you could just give all your money to the Addiction store...haha...but seriously... :zipit:

3. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Okay thank you! I'll stop altogether now that I know that commercial food isn't good for them. And while I'm already at this topic, tonight my crabbies are having slices of tomato, alphalfa sprouts, rolled oats and unseasoned chicken :D :D

4. emmac350

Let's see if I can remember what I just fed them...

Dry bowl (which always ends up wet...grr...) - Red rose petals (addiction store), some crab-safe moss (addiction store), dried strawberry (homemade but in a leftover baggie from the addiction store), mixed lentils (addiction store), Himalayan rock salt (addiction store), soy nuts (addiction store), dried silversides (addiction store), dried krill (pet store but in an addiction store baggie), eggshells (addiction store free sample!), brown rice puff (addiction store), algae crisp piece (addiction store). Can you tell where I get almost all of my crabs' food right now? Haha, love your store, Vicki! I'll be putting an order together within the next month or so...can't wait.

The bowl has been in the 10g for maybe 10 or 15 minutes at most...and Rocky's already in it, the little pig!

Fresh bowl - "crab salad" - spinach torn up into bits with small chunks of carrot and tomato.

Both tanks stole and hid their walnuts from their last dry feeding...silly crabs...and the Amish 7 grain oatmeal I gave them was gone too. :) I love when they eat stuff!

5. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Tonight my crabs are having:
    chopped carrots
    zuccini (if that's how you spell it) xD
    potato slices
    lemon
    honey

My crabs never eat all their food though...all you people that give your crabs soooo much to eat, how many crabs do you have? I have 15 and they never finish their food.

6. emmac350

That meal looks a little short on protein and calcium...any way you could nab them a small piece of meat and a calcium source? They'll be sure to enjoy it.

Who knows what the dry bowl will have tonight (I usually change it around 7 as the crabs (well, Rocky) will always eat between 8:30 and 9 and if I don't have new food in it by then he'll gorge on old food and not eat the new but if I change it too early he won't eat it...ugg). The fresh bowl, however, will be having a small piece of steak (I'll steal it before the husband notices it's missing - maybe while he's making the marinade) and probably a green bean and a few pieces of corn. Maybe I'll nab something else for them too, but who knows...

7. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I'm going off the addiction path tonight and serving:
    1.home grown cantaloupe
    2.home grown strawberry
    3.home grown sweet corn
    4.a raspberry
    5.and a nice piece of home hunted venison
    Topped with honey cuttlebone treat with a rose petal and dandelion the side.

8. emmac350

Sounds delicious - can I drop by for dinner? Haha, just kidding!

9. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Today my crabs will be having:

Chicken
    Rolled Oats
    Peanut Butter
    Freeze Dried Plankton

Is that better emma? :fingerscrossed:

My crabs never eat all their food though...all you people that give your crabs soooo much to eat, how many crabs do you have? I have 15 and they never finish their food.

10. emmac350

Haha, much better, Mini Mrs. Crabs! Plankton is a great food for your crabs - it's protein and calcium and chitin. Although they don't seem to be having any fruits or veggies...just kidding, I know you offered them a bunch of those last night.

As for my crabs and how much I offer them, no, they never eat it all although sometimes with their dry bowl there is more sand in the bowl the next morning than food. I don't give them a lot of each kind of food, just small piles. If it's a powdered food, they usually get 1/2 tsp (I'm estimating here, so it could be a little less or a little more) and if it's not a powder, they get no more than the size of a dime. If they haven't eaten the dry at all (or very little) I will leave it one more night but change the fresh. I have 8 crabs, 2 mediums, 2 small, and 4 tiny (approximately; maybe some of the tinies are small smalls or the two smalls are big tinies, I'm not sure completely). I just keep offering, knowing that that will eat it if they want it, and if they don't, there's always tomorrow!

Fresh bowl - fruit salad of strawberry, cherry, blueberry, and a touch of kiwi. The apples and nectarine pieces were stuck together (frozen really hard by the kiwi pieces).

Dry bowl - tons of stuff, including squid, krill, a soy nut, sea lettuce, goji berry, boost powder, wheat puffs - that's all I remember off the top of my head. Oh, and a shiitake mushroom piece and red rose cuttlebone treat and yeah, other foods. :)

11. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I have 8. around golfball size and they never eat everything. I give them too much. A little of this and that and everything. I have a lot of waste.But now its grasshopper season so I'll be catching them and giving them to the crabs. Something else to add to the waste.

12. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

wanted to get this thread going again. :chuckle: It's great to see what others are feeding their crabs...gives me good ideas!

Tonight my crabs are having:
    -romaine lettuce
    -lilac flowers (trying it for the 1st time!)
    -a blackberry
    -shrimp + exo

Mmmm...

13. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:thanks: I'm going to have to make a grocery list just for the crabs! I tried some of the fresh like carrots, spinache leaves, apple, liliac, dandelions, tulips, potatoes, I only saw them eat apple & potatoe. They like chicken, will retry the egg tonight scrammbled & zapped. They never touch the egg shells.I did get honey and all natural peanut butter they liked it. A friend of mine sent me some worm castings and other stuff that came froma crab site on line & they loved it, but now they won't touch it. Must of been lacking something, got gorged and been all fortified! I will keep adding more stuff to the list and find a special place for all their stuff, ya know this is worse than a kid with a bunch of toys & no place to put them! :biglaugh:

14. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

They can be right snobbish about their meals! :biglaugh:

They don't usually eat the same thing two times in a row. Wait at least four days before feeding them that again. < picky-picky-picky > :flower:

15. scoobdoo

well me and the crabs had scrambled eggs for supper, theirs just egg beaten and zapped, mine a little stuff added, they ate it! I got to a pet co today & bought some freeze dried shrimp, man that stuff smells! I don't know if they touched it yet!

16. emmac350

Next time making them eggs, add stuff in so it's like an omelet! I've made them with dried shrimp, eggshell, whatever crab-safe foods I have on hand, either dried or fresh, and mix them into the egg before microwaving.

17. scoobdoo

gross but o.k.!

18. dukette

dukette Hi, I'm New Here!

Mine are getting natural crunchy peanut butter, Romain lettuce, celery top, natural almond slices, freeze dried blood worms, and some wild caught baked salmon - unseasoned of course.

19. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Hey emmac350, are you back? Its been a while!

My crabs never really liked scrambled eggs untill I got my free range chickens. They love fresh eggs and shells now.

20. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

emmac350 posted that in 2010. :chuckle:
    Don't feel bad, I've done the same thing.