1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your crabs eating tonight?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Amie91280, Jan 4, 2006.

1. 5kittens

5kittens "Second Molt, A Success"

They're eating a hunk of starfish mixed up with some dried apple chunks and some dried carrot pieces and some dried bell pepper pieces topped with some sesame seeds. Does it sound nutritious?? :full:

2. krystie

krystie Hi, I'm New Here!

Last night my crabs had:

Fresh Fruit Salad with grape, apple, pear, mango, pineapple, watermelon and peach.

In the dry food dish they had: crumbled seaweed, dried coconut, dried shrimp, dried blood worms, powdered cuttlebone, crushed sunflower seeds and a pinch of sea salt.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

My crabbies are have 2 bowls in the first they have worm castings, fiji sand, flowers, and sprinkles of mineral salt. In their dinner dish they are having, Fresh trout, shredded carrots, pomigranite seeds, mango, and Kashi cereal.

4. krystie

Tonight they're having scrambled eggs - in fact it was the first time I had EVER made scrambled eggs in my life - thankfully they turned out well and I've caught a few of my crabs munching and they seem to like them :)

5. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Tonight Rack and Benny will be eating:

Dry bowl - HCA store's Thanksgiving dinner (got home too late to do it last night, haha)...it's dried turkey, dried cranberries and walnuts, dried green beans, and dried some sort of stuff that looks like stuffing that I'm too lazy to look up at the moment :), dried baby shrimp, worm castings, spirulina, boost powder, bee pollen, calci sand, and a bit of crushed eggshells.

Fresh bowl - super fruit powder, pineapple fruit chilly, and a crumpled maple leaf courtesy of Mrs. Crabs.

Sounds delicious to me!

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

YUM...where do you live and what time's dinner?! :giggle:

7. emmac350

Come on down to Alabama and chow down! Dinner's now, for Benny...even though he's still hiding. Silly digger. Rack just uncovered his cave to the bottom of the cave...he's eaten all of his exo...so he should be up to enjoy it soon, I hope!

8. imported_NotaMallard

imported_NotaMallard "Preparing For First Molt"

The crabbies are getting dehydrated chicken, eggs, coconut, apple, carrot, and lettuce along with some flax seed meal and unsalted peanuts. They also have some rabbit jerky, organic baby food, and silversides. And, grotesque as it sounds, an arm cut off of a mouse that I happen to have in my freezer (snakes). What can I say? They go crazy over mouse-meat.

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:drooltongue: EEWWW........ :thumbdown:

10. emmac350

Two days ago, I bought some shrimp from Wal-Mart and sauteed them in olive oil, then squished a lime over all of it and pulled out some of the lime pulp. That and a leaf were in the fresh bowl...but no one came up to enjoy it! :( I was very sad. Oh well, there's another pound of shrimp in the freezer to try for later...and if they don't end up liking it, my boyfriend does!

11. krystie

tonight my crabbies are having chicken fried in olive oil with my whisked egg sauce and crushed eggshells with some powdered cuttlebone and sea salt for seasoning.

No takers yet...

12. imported_NotaMallard

Worm castings, octopus, dulse flakes, and spirulina. Plus some seaweed. As you can tell, I've recently received a shipment of Vicki's yummies. Tomorrow I think I'll make some tasty sushi. :troll:

13. jedediah

jedediah (Micro Crab)

My crabs are eating what's left of a whole chicken after I made fricasse from it. Next week they'll get the lungs, liver and heart (and that's a sacrifice, I love chicken liver and heart!). As a side dish they get apple, carrots and mushrooms.

14. imported_NotaMallard

My little 'uns have a tasty sushi dish along with some red bell pepper and dehydrated.. er, spicy pepper. I'm not sure what type of pepper it is.

15. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mine had alittle pot luck. Leftover turkey breast soaked in declor-water. Bugs and worms, sunflowers, peas and carrots, With sprinkles of assorted powders. They were only interested in the sunflowers and the turkey. I washed all their shells today and their to occupied with checking them out. :froggz:

16. imported_Melinda

imported_Melinda Hi, I'm New Here!

Man!!!! Your crabs eat better than me. I am slowly learning all of the things they love, and i really appreciate this forum. It helps me out a great deal. Just bought about 6 different mixes from Vick so im pretty excited to try them out! Should get them today!

17. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Melinda, Vicki's food is the best. Most of the fresh food I give them they wont eat. Except for fresh fish that I catch, chicken breast. The rest comes from Vicki. I have had them almost a year and they are very healthy. I have a gallon bag of 5 sandwich bags of ass. foods from Vicki. when you get a chance get some cuttlebone powder and spirulina powder, and flowers. Mine love the flowers.

18. kcgirl81

kcgirl81 "Never Molted"

Cucumber plate with mangrove meal, crushed oak leaves and kelp powder, garnished with krill and broccoli floret.

I second the plug for Vikki's site. Fantastic variety and all is appreciated greatly by the crabs. Plus, with the basic food packs, I know they're getting the essential nutrients that I'm not always sure they're getting from fresh foods alone.

I also highly recommend Epicurean Hermit Crab Cuisine (also available at the addiction store under Food Mixes). I feed this several times a week--I like knowing that the crabs are getting a good helping of spirulina.

19. emmac350

My guys finally went for the shrimp I made them! I had bought a pound of the smallest available shrimp that still had the tails on them and sauteed them in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and then, at the end, squeezed a lime over the whole shebang. Tore out some of the lime pulp as well. I had given it to them a week or so ago but they didn't come up that night and I was gone the rest of that week, so no other fresh foods (just a bunch of dry ones). I was home this weekend and gave them another shrimp with lime and put it in the shell bowl and left it for 2 days (it wasn't touching sand, and I know that hermies like stuff that has been sitting out for longer...I cringed doing it, but I promised myself I'd take it out first thing in the morning!) and what do you know, the next morning there was sand all over the shell bowl! I couldn't tell where they'd eaten off of it, but I was so excited! (I have 2 PPs for right now, so they aren't exactly as active as I wish they'd be.)

20. Sarah The Hermit Crab

Sarah The Hermit Crab "First Molt In Progress"

Finally switched from that gross comercial food!Tonight I gave her

A cube of ham
    A dried cranberry
    A slice of almond
    A piece of carrot
    A corn kernel (fresh not dried)
    With shredded cheese and a sprinkling of powdered cuttlebone,all on a bed of lettuce

Cant wait to see if she'll eat it