1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your crabs eating tonight?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Amie91280, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight's special:

Blackeberry halves
    Blueberry halves
    Apple slices
    Whole raw shrimp chunks

C.compressus mix
    Kerie's molt food
    shitake mushroom pwdr.
    cuttlebone

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Woohoo! Got some super fresh silversides (with no additives *yay*) today. I tried the spearing, but silversides always win hands down... more stink factor I guess.

Menu:

Papaya (dried, left to soak in salt water)
    Apple chunks (very ripe apple)
    Pro V sea veg frozen fish food ( has no copper sulfate and has 11 different seaweeds and algae, pricey tho.)
    Silversides x2
    cuttlebone pwdr.

3. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Cheeseburger and fruit salad:

Chopped meat
    Organic cheddar
    Bladderwrack
    Cuttlebone pwdr.

Mixed together to form a patty.

Side dish:

Papaya chunks
    Pineapple chunks
    Coconut (shredded, dried)

4. shmama

shmama Guest

:partyhat4: I had some fun while preparing the crab's foods 2nite! Check it out!

[img width=300 height=237]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/shmama2006/FoodArtPig2.jpg[/img]

Romaine Lettuce Leaves
    cut up baby carrots
    My first homegrown Organic Green Bean, cut up freshly picked off my own indoor green bean plant!
    Pure Maple Syrup
    Tuna/Prawn/Staple Egg Casserole that I call "To the Tuna of Eggs" (Yes I will send you my new recipe Hermiefun :)
    ~served with a variety of other dry foods as well (didn't get pix of those bowls tho.)
    :hareiam:

5. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Last night they had a yummy meal! :tuna:

Not so fresh ground beef
    2 Superworms be-headed
    1 Cricket be-headed
    and an assortment of tasty leafy greens!

Was totally gross... but there isn't a bug left!

6. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Hehe, I know what you mean about the bugs Joey! I give them freezedried cricket and worms ( too freaked about the live ones) and they eat them up. Gross but full of protein and chitin!

Tonight:

Chicken liver (boiled)
    Papaya chunks
    Pineapple chunks
    Organic farmer's cheese

Dry dish:
    Peanuts crushed up
    sea supper
    pumpkin seeds
    coconut flakes
    grey sea salt

7. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight:

Chickory lettuce leaves
    Papaya chunk
    Sea feast dried prawns

Dry dish:
    Flowery Fruit Fantasy
    Walnuts
    Red palm oil
    Ruggie mix
    Dried daphnia
    mealworms

8. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight they are enjoying:

Pork chop slice (raw)
    Gala Apple slice
    sprinkled with spirulina and grey sea salt

Dry dish:

Oak bark pieces
    Perlatus mix
    Kerie's molt food
    Rose cuttlebone
    Blue Malva flowers

9. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight:

Freeze dried brine shrimp
    Walnuts
    Spirulina
    Black grape halves
    Chicken bone split open
    Grey sea salt

10. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight's dish:

Tahini
    Honey
    Banana slices
    Apple slices
    Spirulina
    Coconut flakes

11. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

i decided to try something i've seen a couple of folks use; i made them some oatmeal.

oatmeal
    honey
    frozen & thawed papaya, coconut & apple

there are 3 at the dish right now. my big PP girl Spaz was the first to try it and i guess she sent the signal out to the rest of them that it was ok.

EDIT: :eek:mg: this is too funny. some more crabs are at the dish and one of them literally grabbed a chunk of something and RAN to the back of the tank and over the log with it. i'm guessing that's a good sign. cool, another easy dinner and satisfied customers...

12. Semper

Semper Guest

:hermez2: I served my five tanks a delicate meal of silversides, carrots, garbonzo beans, and strawberries. The cuisine was seasoned with a mixture of spirulina, grated cuttle bone, and sea salt. The meal was enjoyed by all. :woohoo:

13. shmama

shmama Guest

:idunno: Where do you get Papaya? Do you have to wait for summer months to get fresh or can you get it frozen somewhere? I live in WI & haven't been able to find it in any form except with sulfur dioxide in the dried stuff (which tastes yucky btw!) :katertater:

14. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

i don't like papaya period in any way; it taste's like feet to me.

i find it fresh in the regular grocery store in the produce section. i've never seen it frozen, only dried. i also get mangos too fresh and i freeze them. mangos are ok to me, but i'm not that big a fan; only once in a while.

15. shmama

shmama Guest

:hahahaha: O.K, how do you know what feet taste like?!? :sarcastic: I think I agree with you tho! :think:

I just started finding fresh mangos (green of course) here. I just finished the 1st one with my crabs & the other one has been wrapped in paper to ripen, but seems like it is just getting more wrinkly instead of yellowing. :idunno: My hermies like it, but not nearly as much as I thought they would so maybe it isn't stinky enough for them or something -lol Is it better to freeze it when more solid or wait for it to soften up? :froggz:

I just found some dried fruit mix with papaya, pineapple, golden raisens ... in it from Vicki, so I placed an order (she has just dried papaya too now). I had been giving them canned pineapple in it's own juice about once a month til I can get a fresh one to portion. I worry about the canned stuff, but felt they should be getting it now & then at least. Same with black olives (no salt, but a little sugar added to the Aldi brand & I soak them in dechlor before slicing them).
    I served olive oil pan cooked chicken breast (par-cooked & chopped up) last night & only a little is gone in the 10 & 50 g tank & very little in the 20. I gag serving raw meat/ fish & especially when I have to take it out & clean up after it. :puke: NONE of mine seem to eat the silversides no matter what I put on them or how I serve 'em up, so I am not buying anymore of those disgusting things! :tuna:
    I usually have good eaters in my smallest (all PPs) & largest (Big Straws, PPs & 2 Ruggies) tanks, but have never seen very many good feasts taking place in my 20 with 6 straws. It is the most stable of the 3 tanks as far as temp/humidity too. The straws in there are more like golf ball & a little larger & they stay under a lot more than my bigger ones too. There are a couple in there that have been down for a couple months so far; I hate not knowing if they are alright. :juggle: :hermiefun: :mind: :hbaloon: The largest one in there has been quite shy since I got him in Dec. I think he (Flame) just wants to live underground 99percent of the time because of that. I saw him briefly in the night a couple weeks ago & he seemed pretty faded so maybe he did molt, but it was too dark to know for sure & when he saw me he dove under ground again & I have not seen him since. I feel really bad for the ones that feel that way, living in fear unneccessarilly, with no way of letting them know that they need not be so afraid. I talk to him quietly & reassuringly & also move as slow as possible around him but he won't give me a chance. :couch: I bet he was handled way too roughly when captured or something, who knows? :dontknow: They are all such unique characters. :shmama:

16. vckums

vckums Moderator

I microwaved the silversides once. Bad mistake. I gagged the entire length of the hallway to the crabs tank.

Mine got papaya( i dont like papaya or mango, it's got a weird taste to me. Tasting feet makes me gag, thanks guys) :sarcastic:, greens, pineapple and a ripe cherry. In the other dish, sea feast and frozen krill (gag)

17. Dell

Dell Guest

My crabs go gaga for NOTHING. Tonight I am trying a banana from the freezer (to make it over ripe) mixed with tahini, a tiny bit of peanut butter, honey, a couple of drops of coconut oil, a couple of finely crushed cheerios and some ground up dehydrated coconut.
    I hope they like it!!! :straw:

18. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

I like papaya. The ones I find don't smell/taste like feet! I get them the organically grown ones, which I use to make fruit smoothies for me.

Tonight:

Salmon slices (raw)
    Red marine algae (chopped)
    Greay sea salt
    Mango slice

Dry dish:

Perlatus mix

19. Dell

Dell Guest

Tonight is "coconut shrimp" (dehydrated shrimp powder mixed with coconut oil and garnished with spirulina), grated carrots garnished with viola blossoms, grated almond, crushed dehydrated clover and dandelion leaves and some romaine lettuce. In another dish I have my fruit kibble mixed with some honey and cuttlebone powder for the new crabs which they seem to LOVE. I think I may put a shell of earth worm castings in there as well.

20. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Avocado slices
    Banana slices
    Coconut chunks
    Red d'Anjou pears
    King crab leg meat

Dry:
    Ruggie mix