1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your crabs eating tonight?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by Amie91280, Jan 4, 2006.

1. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

which recipe were you talking about Vicki?

i wanted to update my post of the stinky seafood; those crabs TORE up the food dish. especially the upstairs kids. there were like only 2 pieces of seafood left in there the next morning. if ya'll can stand the smell of that seafood like that, it's worth it. i hate to say this but we didn't put anything else on the seafood, no mixes no nothin'; it was seafood in the raw.

2. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Fresh Papaya
    Emerald Dinner
    A freshly picked Hibiscus flower
    Honey Banana Chips

3. CrabbyChris22

Frozen and thawed:

Krill
    Emerald dinner
    red, yellow and orange peppers

Sprinkled with:

beet powder
    krabby trail mix
    dried carrots
    very veggie mix
    some sort of green leaves that vicki sent

it was funny, upstairs there was already a crab in the food dish when i went to swap them out. i had the tank shut back up all of 30 sec before that crab started coming back to the food dish again. i watched about 3-4 others slowly emerge from their hidey's and moss right after that. downstairs the big PP was in the dish only about 5 min after it went in. i'd say last night's dinner was a big hit too. i LOVE seeing that kind of response.

4. shmama

shmama Guest

:thanks: The straws really liked it. I think I put too much variety in the tanks sometimes. I guess 5 separate food dishes may be a little excessive. My maternal instinct to feed, feed, feed has apparently kicked in. lol I like to give them different choices so I cover any needs, but it gets a bit confusing as far as watching to see which items are successful. I put the main entree in by itself though because it seems to go over better that way. I gave my straws the new species mix from Vicki last night & they LOVED it! :love10:

5. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight my darlings are enjoying:

Avocado (chopped to hermie sized pieces)
    Pineapple chunks (thawed, also chopped)
    Krill (thawed)

Sprinkled with:
    Bladderwrack
    Flowery Fruit Fantasy ( also served a teaspoonful in center of fresh foods)
    Chamomile cuttlebone

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

mine are having dried octopus, squid, seafest and a wedge of pineapple. :icon_puke_r:

7. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight they are having:

Coconut flakes
    Epicurean Cuisine
    Earthworms
    Krill (dried)
    Raisins
    Cranberries
    Peanuts (chopped)
    Pumpkin seeds
    Red clover
    Calendula
    Red roses
    Chamomile cuttlebone treat :cowboy_grin:

8. CrabbyChris22

so vicki, how did they like the dried octopus and squid?

9. vckums

vckums Moderator

It was GONE when I looked inthe tank the next morning. The pineapple had some nibbles, usually its destroyed, but they ate the stinky stuff.

Im not sure about selling the squid, for one I have to cut it up they are HUGE and WHOLE and it grossed me out. I had to have Scott cut it for the food mix. The octopi are whole as well but they are sorta tiny. Id sell those individually. If only there was pre-shredded LOL

10. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Tonight, Crabbie Oatmeal~~~

3 - Tbls. Rolled Oats (non-instant)
    1 - Tbls. Dried Organic Coconut Flakes
    1 - Tbls. Ground Pecans
    2 - teasp. Coconut Oil
    1 - Tlbs. Raisins
    Honey
    Astaxanthin Powder

Put rolled oats, coconut flakes, nuts, coconut oil & raisins in a small bowl or custard cup. Cover mixture with dechlor water. Cook in microwave for 45-sec. to 1 minute. Let stand for a minute. Mix in honey to taste. Sprinkle with Astaxanthin powder.

Bazooka says it's GREAT!!!
    [img width=300 height=246]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/glass_slipper917/ZZ_031607.jpg[/img]

11. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

:thanks: for the idea Kathy... I'm gonna make them some oatmeal tonight too! It is COLD and snowing all day today and I grumpy 'cause I just finished shoveling.
    Bazooka is soooo cute, I giggled when I read his name, too cute :petals:

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

Gotta move to Cali, we got 80's and the kids are running around in thier pool :inc:

13. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Oh funny, Sista!!! It is only going to be 65 degrees here in Florida tomorrow! :sad11:

By the way, Crabaddict.....I served that to them when it was still warm. I didn't think it would attract anyone until later tonight, but I actually had two hermies in the 40B and three in the 75G walk right over to it & start eating. Apparently, it smelled mighty good to them! :thumbsup:

The ruggies REALLY seem to love it! I can't wait to see what the straws will do later, since they have sweet tooths. (They are all sleeping at present.)

14. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Boy Vic, you love adding salt to a wound, don'cha? We were at 65 on Tuesday, don't know what happen all of a sudden; they said the storm was coming from CA and FL, lol!

I'm gonna do the oatmeal thing tomorrow. I have some Natures Path Organic oatmeal that I like to eat. It has lots of good stuff in their like sea salt, cane juices, brown rice and all that good stuff. But I'm still gonna add the honey, raisins, astaxanthin, coconut flakes, pecans and coco oil and see how the crabs like it. I hope my ruggies eat something, they haven't eaten in a couple of days and I don't know why. Maybe it has something to do with those grubby new E's!!!

Tonight, I'm too tired to even think:

Black grape halves
    Gala apple slices
    Formula 2 algae cube
    Krabby's trail mix
    Molting food from Vickers
    Red marine algae
    Sea feast dried shrimp
    cuttlebone

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hey it's weird, we shouldn't have 80's right now. ITS ONLY MARCH! I refuse to put on the AC in March.. :evil6:

16. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

LOL, if I want A/C I just have to open a door! What wacky weather, sheesh.

17. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

Tonight I made them oatmeal :cowboy_grin: Its from Nature's Path organic instant oatmeal that I like to eat. It has in it:

Organic oats
    Organic flax
    Evaporated cane juices
    Sea salt

I made it with organic milk instaed of water in the microwave and added:

Organic coconut oil
    Coconut chips
    Cranberries
    Raisins
    Spirulina
    Astaxanthin
    Honey

I served it warm like Kathy suggested, and within seconds I had one E and Jam, my straw girl all over it and fighting for a good spot around the dish, lol! Thanks Kathy for the suggestion, I never had any luck feeding oatmeal to my crabs so I stopped, I only fed it to them dry. Now I'll def do this again :dancin:

I ate the rest but with honey added only :shuffle:

18. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Hee Hee!!! I ate some of the stuff I made for the hermies, too! But before I sprinkled it with the Astaxanthin powder!!! :chuckle: Tasted pretty darn good, huh? No wonder they like it!

19. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

My hermies are gonna try the new PP mix from vicki and i will add the E mix as well, also i finally got them some fresh salmon so im gonna try that and see how it goes. Thanks for the great food vicki :teddy01: :blowheart:

20. CrabbyChris22

oh yeah, i just did a HUGE order from vicki yesterday; $77 something w/ shipping. then i did another order of shells from Mac too for about $27. you guys are loving me right now, aren't ya Vicki and Mac, roflmao. i just had to try out some of this new food that Vicki's putting out, especially the species specific and the worm castings. oh heck, i got a lot for that money. i can't wait to get all the stuff, hehehehe.