1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about using real ocean water??

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by DecAbbersMama, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecAbbersMama

DecAbbersMama "Preparing For First Molt"

I read the thread a couple days ago about which salt to use, and about using aquarium salt to make the crab water as close to real salt water. I also looked it up online to see and it says usually crabs like water that is about 1/2 the salinity of ocean water.

So, I am fortune enough to live by the ocean. Would it be okay to use actual water from the ocean and mix it with purified water to cut down the amount of salt by some? Good Idea / Bad Idea??

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I do not think that using Ocean Water is a safe idea. It is probably filled with animal poo, bits of sticks and rocks, and other nonsafe debris.

3. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

The ocean is constantly moving and has natural elements to keep it nice and balanced. If you remove the water from the ocean, it loses all those things.

4. Hermies4Ever

That is true, but he/she would only take a small ammount of the ocean water, so it would stay balanced. . .;););)

5. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

How would you measure the salinity?

6. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

I think deedee means the balance in the water you TAKE from the ocean. Not the other way around.

I wouldn't take ocean water, tbh. In an ideal world, yes, but our ocean isn't a clean, fresh ocean, or even close to a clean, fresh ocean, and you risk parasites, bacteria and other bugs and growth that will be harder to deal with if it infests your tank. Clear water and salt solution is probably the safer way to go.

7. Hermies4Ever

Hermit crabs are supposed to have water as salty as ocean water.

8. ziptied

ziptied Hi, I'm New Here!

if you mix 1 part ocean water, and 1 part freshwater you will end up with water half the salinity of the ocean

before they are captured and sold as pets, they live in the wild and use real ocean water

9. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

hmm... i'd say no for these reasons: i'm all for as close to natural as possible, but i don't think this seems safe. Yes, in the wild they use ocean water, but in the wild they also have parisites, lots of death, an uncontrolled environment, unsafe conditions, and mostly unresticted boundaries. I say if you take an animal from the wild and place it in a resticted controlled environment, all the other measures change, too. Also, deedee is right, once you take ocean water out of the ocean, it is no longer subject to a changing environment as far as interaction with other bodies of salt water, ergo you could get a cup of salt water with too much salt and that won't change, or vice versa. Or water filled with parasites X_X

10. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Crabs don't like half salinity water - they prefer it to be full strength. They need full strength because they like to mix the salt water with the fresh water to get the right salinity level in their shell water. They mix it themselves, and if you don't offer salty enough water, they may not be able to get it as salty as they want it.

Where did you read that they prefer half strength water? That is a blatant untruth and needs to be changed as soon as possible.

Also, I don't think I'd take water from the ocean because if it's in any sort of place where people are (on the beach) the water will be full of all sorts of gunk - gas and oil from boats/jetskis, sunblock, human waste, alcohol, etc, none of which are good for crabs. And if it isn't a public beach (like in a park) most of them have rules about what you can and can't remove in the park. But even if you did have a place you could remove the water from legally that wasn't a public area to have the human pollution, if you take the water from the ocean, it will be teeming with all sorts of little critters that will die if the water isn't aerated and filtered continually and, while they rot, could potentially stink for one and be toxic for another. So I'd recommend not using ocean water, but instead buying a bag of saltwater mix for a saltwater aquarium and giving that to your crabs - it's the same thing as the ocean water minus all the gross stuff that's in the ocean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.