1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what a way to start 2009.

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by shell.shocked, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shell.shocked

shell.shocked Hi, I'm New Here!

well, my previous thread was back in october i believe.. it was about how Krabontae didnot want to eat. but he's ben maintaing.. coming out his shell sometimes, to dip in the water or to hide in his coconut. but lately he's ben in this corner tucked in his shell. not hidden behind tress or in his coconut, just in the corner. so i gave him a bath in saltwater, aquarium salt. he came out obviously, but when i put him back in the tank, he slipped back into his shell & stood in the same spot i placed him in after the bath for about 35mins then slept overnight in the feeding dish. inside the feeding dish was hermit crab meal, i mixed it with applesauce. later on the next afternoon, he was in that same corner as usual. water dish empty.

so that was 2days ago. i went to stay at my boyfrends folks house for xmas.. & came home today to discover he is on the opposite side of the tank, behind his coconut, in the corner in some trees, shell-less! naked! the shell in in another corner! ohh my gosh i think he's gona die & i dnt understand why. oh, & i found a leg where it looks like he climed over the coconut.

this isn't molting huh? iam so scared bekuz i tried to do my best. he just neverrrr ate. i never ever seen him eat since i've gotten him. i've had him for almost 4months now. so some advice please?? oh & he's alone. maybe he was stressed & is dying from lonliness.

sorry so long --need immediate ATTENTION! thank you. love this site & everyone on it.

2. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Most of my crabbies eat while I'm sleeping, so I wouldn't be too worried about not seeing him eat...
    However, being naked is not a very good sign. He could be sick or stressed, or maybe just hot or need a new shell. I would suggest putting him in a small area with a few other shells his size and maybe a tiny bit bigger around him. When this happens to my crabbies I usually rub either some sand or some aquarium salt on the tip-inside part of the shell, for some reason it draws my crabs back in. If that doesn't help I would try putting him in a cup with just one shell, probably the one he has climbed out of. One last tip is to put him and his shell under water, that should motivate some action.
    I hope all goes well, keep us posted!

3. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I would agree with putting some shells near him, but handling him may cause more stress. Crabs often come out of their shells if they are sick, hot, or have mites.

4. shell.shocked

shell.shocked Hi, I'm New Here!

so this might be a silly or dumb question to ask:
    is he dead?? because since my last post on december 28, he has not moved from that same position outside of his shell. no improvements, no movement. it should be obvious that he's dead but i was told that if it does not smell fishy, he's still alive. i have yet to find the slightest fishy smell.

what's going on here? he's been shell-less for over one month. molting is only 2weeks right?

5. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

molting can be more than 2 weeks. sometimes it is 3 months. i have a herie who has been molting for over a month now and ia am worried she is dead because at the bottom of the tank i can just see the same part of her shell. i hope she did not pass.:confused:

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If she is dead you will smell like fish. Dead fish. After four weeks it's OK to check on them but I don't cause they'll just do their thing and then come up when they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.