1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to LiveHermitCrabs.com

Discussion in 'Crabby Links' started by LiveHermitCrabs, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveHermitCrabs

LiveHermitCrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello Crabbers...

My name is Andrew and I would like to introduce myself. I am the owner of LiveHermitCrabs.com and I would like to extend a $5.00 coupon for all the users of this forum. I have been in the pet business for many years and am excited to get the site up and running. I offer live hermit crabs to qualified buyers over the age of 18 and I would hope that everyone gives my site a peek and uses it as a quick reference for pricing and available items. I have shipped many hermit crabs and so far have not had any problems. I ship them properly and recommend overnighting any live stock that you purchase. Please give me any suggestions or item critiques that you may have. I would like to hear some feedback on the products I have available on my site. I have used all of them and am confident that my pricing is reasonable and that my site allows everyone to have a chance at keeping such a wonderful and amazing pet. PLEASE MENTION THIS THREAD TO RECEIVE A 5$ REFUND ON YOUR PURCHASE WHEN YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER. In the world of hermit crabs, I hope that this contribution is a welcomed additional to this great forum and I would be available to answer any questions you may have. Please email me.

Thank You
    Andrew
    LiveHermitCrabs.com

2. Jason

Jason Moderator

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum. I guess I will be the first one to ask, but do you think it is right to ship live crabs. I realize that they have to be shipped in order to reach the stores; after all I am at least 1000 miles from the nearest Ocean, and even further from where hermit crabs would live. Maybe it would be best if you can outline the care that you take to minimize the trauma of shipping the hermit crabs. Packaging, shipping that sort of thing.

Jason

3. LiveHermitCrabs

Thank you Jason, for your inquiry, and your welcome. The method that I use is identical to the methods used by the farms and dealers that the pet stores get the crabs from. The crab is shipped in a damp environment, usually in plain newspaper that has been made wet with distilled water and a box that has been partially sealed in a plastic liner. Holes are made in the box and a heating pack is provided in the winter. So far it has worked for thousands of crabs I have seen shipped. Either way, this is how they get to the stores, so it is a necessary evil. But I look at it this way. I am sure that these hermits would rather be in a cozy, home critter tank, then the belly of their hundreds of natural predators.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Welcome to HCRU. I was wondering if I could make a suggestion for shipping the crabs. Instead of a plastic bag filled with wet newspaper, what about using plastic containers with holes and damp reptile moss. The main concern is the ink from the newspaper.Should the crabs eat any part of the newspaper it could be toxic to them. The damp reptile moss would be safe and a good food source should they get hungry. I've found that the containers work very well and would protect the crabs much better should the box they are in be tossed around, dropped or squished.

5. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Welcome to HCRU

6. LiveHermitCrabs

I think that is a great idea. I will look into making changes immediately. As far as the boxes are concerned, maybe a wax lined box would be good, with the holes in it. I do not think the wax will be harmful to the crabs. This will increase my shipping cost for sure, but I think it is a wonderful idea. When I have a new box and filling designed, I will take pictures of it and post them for everyone to see. Please give me a few days to get the pictures ready for posting. Thanks again for your input!

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

May I suggest using bees wax as that is not harmful to hermit crabs. Also a variety of box sizes. If its too roomy and not enough moss used they will be moved around too much in the box.

8. LiveHermitCrabs

Thank you again for the input. I have ordered a bulk amount of moss to begin my new moss filler shipping method. I am also waiting on several quotes for wax lined boxes from several manufacturers. From what I am told, the wax liner is completely non-toxic and should be fine for the hermits, but the bees wax is a great idea! I should have photos up soon of the new box and filling and hope everyone and their hermits are well!

9. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

You have a nice website.

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thank you for taking my suggestions, I can't wait to see the boxes!

11. vckums

vckums Moderator

I was just checking out your site. I noticed you have the crabby talk icon on there, so you know Robin too!

12. Jason

Jason Moderator

But no link to HCRU. :(

Jason

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

:eek: I think that could be considered a sin. Hehehehe I'm in the same boat with you Jason, mines not there either.

14. hermiefun

hermiefun "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Well i checked out the store and i think its great so i ordered some hermies. Andrew your great i got a great deal on the hermies and shipping was great to thank you now i cant wait to get my hermies. :D

15. LiveHermitCrabs

Stop being so crabby! I'm the new kid on the block. Break me in gently please!
    Is there an 80 x 80 for HCRU?

16. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I'm not trying to be a downer here, but you sell commercial hermit crab food and kritter cages ... bad!

17. LiveHermitCrabs

Thank you for the order!!!

18. LiveHermitCrabs

Commercial crab food is a industry standard, and unfortunately it was the only pre-packaged food available to me until recently. I am proud to offer more natural foods now and I will be phasing out some of the bottled food soon. Bottled food from the major suppliers like HBH is a great way for people to get started with feeding their hermit crabs a well balanced diet. It is unfortunate that there are preservatives in these foods and they are a necessity to combat humidity, fungus and other problems with shelf -life.

As for your comment about "critter cages". As you can see, I do not sell wire cages or wire net containers. I offer glass and acrylic only and here is the reason. Glass is usually the preferred container of choice for keeping hermit crabs, but some parents feel the need to use acrylic ones. The acrylic is safer around children, easier to clean and move, and it much more cost effective than glass. Sometimes the crab can't always win. Child safety is definitely a major factor when choosing a pet, and pet accessories. I applaud parents who use acrylic containers around their young ones. If you use glass, please make sure you have the tank on a sturdy surface.

I hope this helps...

19. LiveHermitCrabs

I have removed all FMR products from my website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.