1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weevils!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by gweebles, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

I haven't posted here in a while. I have a 50 gallon tank with about 38 crabbies. One of my foods apparently had a weevil infestation, now those little buggers are everywhere.:mad: I usually toss a few bay leaves in the flour or rice to keep them out. Can I do that to the tank? If my crabs eat the bay leaves, will it hurt them?

2. reader101

reader101 Banned

My suggestion would be to dump everything in your tank (and/or sterilize), start with fresh substrate, and thoroughly but carefully bathe every hermie in saline water. If you don't know the particular contaminated food, you may have to dump everything and start over (make sure to thoroughly clean storage containers as well). You stand to lose a lot of hermies, so the cost may be worth it. Also, thoroughly sterilize spare shells, as hermies have a habit of stashing food in them.
    You're in the right forum to get the best help asap. Likely Vicki could tell you if bay leaves may be harmful to your kritters. But I'm not sure even that would eliminate the pests soon enough.
    Good luck!

3. gweebles

UGH! That is what I was afraid of. I have about 5 underground molting and hate to have to move them to clean out the tank, but I am tired of the little buggers in the tank. I don't know if the food was contaminated to begin with, I kept it in the cabinet with my dry goods and I have a box of cornmeal I had to toss out due to weevils. The bugs may have spread from that. They are pretty big, in fact I caught a hermie trying to eat one. I guess it's off to the hardware store for a bag of sand. :p

4. reader101

reader101 Banned

The molters are indeed a good reason for concern, but if you have parasites in the tank, what are the odds of them surviving without? Special care will be required to make sure they are set back in clean iso, such as a full shell of water. I guess you already knew what had to be done, eh? While at the hardware store, it might be worthwhile to invest in a case of Mason/glass canning jars to store all your drygoods in. You can't lose with glass containers with tight lids. Many glass juice bottles, etc. can be recycled for this purpose.
    Do you use straight sand for substrate? And do you sterilize it first? Just curious.
    Something else I had heard about was putting a small amount of silica (it's in vitamins, powdered items, etc.) in your pantry will reduce humidity and thus minimize conditions for weevils. Esp. watch your flour and grain products - even pasta. (I HATE the little boogers!)
    Is sand your only substrate?

5. gweebles

Sand and moss. I got rid of the moss and cleaned out the whole tank. That takes a while! I boiled all the wood and toys, shells, and food dishes in salt water. Their food is in the freezer now, and I have 38 very mad crabs rearranging everything now. I did bake them some cornbread with fruit as a treat since they didn't like the move one bit. I treated the cubby where their tank is to make sure the weevils won't come back. I didn't realize how loud a box of mad hermit crabs were. My goodness a group chirp gets loud.

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

Just finished about the same chores as well, to make room for 6 new additions. How do I manage to wind up wetter than them?
    Freezing would do it for the food, and let's face it...dead weevils add protein to the diet! (YUK!)
    Glad you decided to go the entire route to be safe. Maybe your hermies were chirping at the excitement of a fresh tank to destroy, not to mention home baking! Mine are still in the process of welcoming/checking out the newcomers that made it direct to the tank - have kept 2 in iso for now.
    I think that even hermies appreciate a change of scenery, and the challenge of trashing all your efforts!

7. gweebles

They had fun trashing the place. The cornbread is gone, the food dish is upside down, probably they were looking for crumbs. The water dish is buried. I guess it was some party last night. My oldies love greeting new crabs too. I have a greeting party who immediately comes out to meet the new guys. They show them around the tank, then at night all I hear is clanking of shells against the tank. I swear I'm going to get them a disco ball! :p

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

Glad to hear the pests are under control. Please let us know if your efforts were successful, OK?
    The first night home, 7 goldfish were devoured - couldn't tell they were ever there!
    The smallest newbies have ganged up with the smaller troup to terrorize the oldsters, but a quick kick takes care of that fast - get off me, you pesky fly!!! Like a comical little jockey riding around on their horse.

9. gweebles

You feed yours goldfish??? I have tried sardines, but I never thought of feeder fish for them. Hmmm....I'll have to try that. They LOVE chicken breast, especially if I grill it. They don't like it boiled.

10. reader101

reader101 Banned

Re goldfish - yup. My favourite aquaium store down the street individually freeze-dries every casualty fresh. Fortunately, having had hermies themselves, they pick only the best! Keep them in the freezer, and just drop in the food/treat dish. I'd suggest 1 med. size for every 4 hermies, as many will drag them away for later! Once they're done, there's not much to clean up.
    :D

11. reader101

reader101 Banned

BTW - when I hear "feeder fish", I think of something fed live. These just happened to die of natural causes, and as they have a large "gut", the organs are the richest and go first. Hermies are scavengers, and love it most the next day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.