1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We did it! 29 Gallon Upgrade

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Mama Crabs, May 5, 2010.

?

March Photo POLL

This poll will close on Feb 6, 2106 at 11:28 PM.
  1. Littlewolfpaw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LordRhal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Scoobdoo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hermiefun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Trixie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mama Crabs

Mama Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

We bought our 10 gallon a few months ago, then found this site and became very inspired by all of your beautiful tanks. So my son and I decided to upgrade to a 29 gallon. Many of you have given us great feedback. We got the slider hood from ZooMed and will use the new digital Hygrotherm controller to control humidity and temperature at the same time. We got the bubbler for humidity and a ceramic heat coil for heat (60 watt). For our lights we are using the T8 Florescent bulb for day and a black light for night viewing only (doesn't stay on all night). We have playsand from Home Depot with coconut fiber mixed into half of the sand to create the "wet side" then the other side is all dry (for now). We are also using moss in a moss pit in the second level. And a ton of beautiful shells from The Hermit Crab Patch. So what do you think? Any feedback will be appreciated. Right now all 4 crabs are molting in our 10 gallon, so we have to wait patiently for them to finish so we can introduce them to their new home. Come on crabs, molt...molt....molt....

[img width=400 height=300]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/New%2029%20gallon%20tank/DSC06131.jpg[/img]

[img width=300 height=400]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/New%2029%20gallon%20tank/DSC06124.jpg[/img]

[img width=300 height=400]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/MamaCrabs/New%2029%20gallon%20tank/DSC06127.jpg[/img]

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wow...what a good looking tank!! Very nicely laid out.
    The only question I have is do they have enough hiding places to chill out?
    Other than that, Congrats!! :flower:

hmmmm......so when you getting a 55 gallon tank??
    In fact, skip the 55 and go right to the 75 gallon!! :drooltongue: :biglaugh:

3. Mama Crabs

Good question. Let me share then you can tell me if it is enough. Well we have the hut, which I would like to replace with a bigger one, then there are two pieces of driftwood on the left side that are stacked in such a way that they can hide in the space under it, it is a space about as big as the hut. Then they can hide in some space behind the cholla wood and then there is a space about the size of the jacuzzi on the left side of the tank that is open, under the moss pit, maybe I can add another hut? Then what about the moss pit in the second level, is this considered a hiding space? What do you think?

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

:love3: what a crabs paradise! o.k. question here, what if your crabs won't use a hut? Mine won't go in anything! I even mader a home made one that was big so it would add a second level and they would just go to the second level but never in the hut, they all huddle in a corner on top of each other by the UTH. My tank is is in a walk way so it gets a lot of traffic going by, they don't flinch. tey must be used to all of us, so do you have to have a hiding place? any ideas as what else I can use? My tank is a 22 gal fish tank, so not much room for 3 crabs that are bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a baseball.

5. Mckenny

Opps Mama Crabs, I didn't see all of that. Yes, the moss pit is considered a hiding/sleeping place as well as all of your other things in there. Way To Go!!!
    :straw:​

6. Mckenny

ScoobDoo you mentioned that they all huddle over the UTH. Is it warm enough in your tank--- Is your substrate deep enough to bury in---Is your humidity good? Depending on your answers they could be chilled.

Is you coco hut big enough for you crabs to easily fit through the door and be able to move around? Mine sometimes use it and sometimes don't. I took two coco huts and stacked one on top of the other with aquarium glue, making sure the "upper condo" was tall enough, wide enough, and that the doors didn't match up (for easier climbing to the second story door). I've had as many as three in the second story but none on the bottom one. :dontknow:

I have crabs that are still skittish, and a lot of that has to do with instinct. In the wild they know to hide when they see a shadow that may be a seagull, etc.
    that will grab them to eat.

They don't know what it is when they see large objects coming towards them, so they instinctively hide. They have rather poor eyesight and a heavily traveled area where your tank is could be a scary environment for them.

Just some food for thought... :flower:

7. Mini.Mrs.Crabs

Mini.Mrs.Crabs "Preparing For Second Molt"

Hey! Really nice tank! :katertater:

What's the brand of the vine you have there? I see them alot in pet stores, but I'm not sure which kind is safe for crabs...

8. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Re: Jelly Bean
    Where I live there is very limited supply of crab stuff, I haven't seen any huts or shells that will fit any of my crabs. Even Pet Plus & Pet Co 50 miles away has very little to offer. Pet Plus sells crabs but they are extremely small, so they don't keep larger things on hand & other store sells limited foods. The Mom & pop shop where I did buy mine have large crabs like mine but also don't have anything as far as huts. I looked on the store here and only saw a few shells w an inch opening, my big one needs one larger & the 2 big turbo shells I did find that he changed in & out of 12x's & went back to his original are the polished ones. he must not like them cause he kept taking his legs and rubbing the back of the shell, the one shell he was trying to get off his buddy was a natural rough turbo. Any other place that sells them that you know of that does money oders please let me know!
    My tank temp is 75 degrees, humidity bout 80, sand castle consistancy play sand, 2x.s deeper than my largest crabs so its about 3 -4 deep on one end. I have vines and greenery around one end where the UTH is so they are in camoflauge. I never understood the people on another site that were trying to tell me the size of a UTH I needed for my 22 gal tank & the UTH box didn't say what size it was for, so I got the small and my choices were small or extra large. I had a reptile heat rock and figured out how to mount it on the inside of tank so they couldn't sit on it but was told it could over heat so that was $ wasted even though my temp & humidty was good and thought a UTH could over heat to. I have a repti {?} light on the hood 15 watt I think, at night I block some of the light so it's dark but still a little light & in the day time add more light because I have shade all around my house and it stays cool.

9. Mama Crabs

The vine I used is called Jungle vine by Exo Terra. I bought it at Petco, but have seen it in the addiction story under "habitat accessories > other". I was worried they may eat at it, but someone on this forum said they have it and it hasn't been a problem.

I love the idea of stacking huts, what brand of glue should we use?

10. Mama Crabs

11. LordRhal

LordRhal "Preparing For Third Molt"

get the furry hut from the patch, it's huge! =)
    Also you can buy so many shells there, that is where I get all mine.

12. DEBBIE

DEBBIE "First Molt In Progress"

Jellybean, I'm confused as to what size shells you are needing. Maybe we could start some kind of shell exchange program here. What do you think?

Also, my cocohut was a little small so my husband cut/broke some off one side so the shells that are "pointy" would go in better. Marley is in one of those.

Also, MamaCrabs-good-looking tank, way to go!!!

Debbie

13. Mama Crabs

I agree LordRhal, I love the shells at the patch, my crab changed shells several times the first day alone. The staff there is great, I bought a pack of 10 and was able to request a selection for PP crabs only. They were very helpful, and I love the shells, they are so pretty! You can buy large ones too, and it is soooo much cheaper than the pet stores shells. When I saw our first order of shells, I knew then I needed to get more crabs!

14. Mckenny

Hi Debbie...that's a good idea.
    Also, I'm afraid you have me mixed up with ScoobDoo. I was asking some questions earlier and the post you are referring to is the reply.

You could PM ScoobDoo and find out what could be worked out as far as shells.

No worries... :flower:

15. Mckenny

Hi Mama Crabs...I use Aquarium Glue to stack my hut onto another one. I get it at my local hardware store, and it will say "for aquariums, glass, etc."

Put it around the edge of the hut and place it on top of the other hut. Make sure that the door of the top hut doesn't line up with the bottom hut's door. Instead, place it on the side...if you don't they won't be able to get in the top hut.

I let mine cure for two days before placing it in my tank. It does :tuna: when you apply it, but the smell goes away. There may be a faint smell two days later, but not enough to affect the crabs at all.

Just a tidbit of info for those thinking of purchashing a cocohut...
    My Hermies love to climb on my huts, so keep this in mind when purchasing the cocohuts, and especially if you're going to be stacking them. While the smooth ones are nice too, they don't allow for climbing/exercising like the huts that have the fiber on them.

[​IMG]

16. Mama Crabs

Quick question, is it ok to have a layer of river rock around and under the water dish, you can see this in the photos above. I figure that if a crab digs under, they will just dig back out when they want. There is still about 5 inches of sand under this all.

17. Mckenny

Apparently the pics didn't show up. But if you're going to place them under the dish but on top of the sand, you need to keep a watchful eye out for tunneling crabs. If you see where one has gone down under the substrate where the stones are, you may want to remove the stones so they don't collapse the crabbies' tunnel. :flower:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.