1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

way too humid, especially for newbie!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Laughs O Lot, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I just tested the digital hygrometer and it reads 7% too low. Yesterday I got a new hermit crab named Lou-Lou and put her in the ISO. I read you should start off with the humidity of the pet store the hermit crab was in and every week increase it by 5% until it is 75%. I'm guessing the humidity was about 60% because there was only a sponge in the tank, no fresh or salt water. I read the digital gauge and it said the humidity was 76%. That means the real humdity is 83% which is too high for the main tank, let alone the ISO. I took the lid off and took away the sponge but it didn't change. I'm really worried about Lou-Lou. What should I do?

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs,
    you have an iso for Lou lou? Give the hygrometer time to adjust, sometimes it takes it a while before it reads a big change in humidity. If you took the cover off, the humidity should change rather quickly, but the digital hygrometer may take a bit to register the change.
    As for Lou Lou, do set the iso humidity around 60% as suggested. Over about 3 weeks you can get it up to about 75%.
    83% isn't so bad for your crabs if they are used to it, it is just bad for the encouragement of mold and fungus, so you don't want it that high for that reason. It's okay to be between 75 and 80%.

It's good that you are thinking about your new crab and putting him in iso before he gets to meet the other crabs. It gives him time to adjust to the new sounds of your home, and to adjust to the temp and humidity in the main tank. Good luck!

3. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

It gives him time to adjust to the new sounds of your home

can hermies even hear?

4. Laughs O Lot

After being in their for a while i has adjusted to even higher: 80%, which means it is really 87%! The lid is still off, so this makes no sense whatsoever! The only explenation would be that it is a tiny ISO tank, only 4 gallons. We have a bigger ISO that used to be the main tank but it still has calci sand in it and my mom didn't want to have to clean it out so we had to use the old ISO. The only wet things in their are the water bowls! Is it possible for the hygrometer to switch from too low to too high?

Right now the tank is in the kitchen, which is usually occupied by a person, right next to the main tank. What room of the house should I move it to where Lou-Lou can better adjust to the sounds/vibrations of the house.

Hermit crabs can feel vibrations, but I have no idea whether they can hear or not.

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

No, they don't have ears, but they are very sensitive to vibrations through their antennae, and this is what I meant by getting used to the sounds in your home. :)
    We hear sounds as vibrations, too, if you think about it.

Laughs, not sure what to tell you about your humidity - do you have a sponge in a water dish maybe?
    Did you put the humidity gauge in an airtight container with a small container of salt that is just wet, not drippy, and let it sit for 6 hours without opening it? If not, try that, you may not have gotten a good reading on the gauge if you took it out too soon or if the salt wasn't wet enough or something.

6. clover

ok........maybe u could leave the lid off all night but make sure no one can escape

7. Laughs O Lot

I did that for the humidity test, but it was five hours, not six hours. However, I used a regular plastic bag, not a hefty one. Could that have any effect on the outcome? I took all the sponges out when I saw the humidity was too high. It didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I left the lid off all night, and all day today. The lid has holes in it, it's not glass.

8. Laughs O Lot

Yipee! Now it went down to 59%, which is really 66. Is that good for a newbie?

9. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Sounds good Laughs. How is your crab behaving? Do you have a way to keep the humidity consistent?

10. clover

did ou use my method

11. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Laughs, when you tested the hygrometer, as long as it was an airtight container, you did fine.
    And sponges do make a difference, sometimes it just take time for the change to take effect. :)

12. Laughs O Lot

Lou-Lou is buried right now, but I can see her cute little legs from the bottom of the tank! :) Maybe she is preparing to molt.

13. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

You are lucky. My humidity gauge was not working and mine was over 100%. I'm still battling for stable humidity. This one will be a long one...

14. Laughs O Lot

Wow. I never knew it could get over 100 unless it was just water or something. good luck, cococrisp!

15. Laughs O Lot

I just keep the tank lid off and check on it. Right now it says 64%. I think it goes up when I change the water, because some usually spills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.