1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wattage too high?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by crazeecrabber103, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

I just started using a 25 watt moonglow bulb and it really helps with the temperature(keeps it steady;between 74-76 F)but it dries out the tank really fast unless the bubbler stump is on.Should I try a lower wattage?

2. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

What size tank, and what kind of substrate are you using?

-Crystal

3. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

If you have a 10 gallon, yes it is a little high, keep the bubbler on, use sponges, make sure the lid has plexiglass or something of the like on top. I have a 125 regular heat lamp I just use on very cold nights, but I use a heating pad under the tank on regular cool nights. Use a UTH instead, but my advice is to put it on the side or back of the tank, not under. Just my opinion, but my guys love to cuddle up by the side heater on cold days.

4. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

yup, I read the note about the UTH cuddling...

...after I had already stuck mine to the bottom.

Ahh the sarcasm! Gotta love it!!

You'll get your tank all nice and stable and then the seasons will change and you gotta start all over again!

But we luv 'em so what can you do?! [​IMG]

Happy Crabbin'

Crystal

5. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

My UTH is already,well...under the tank.[​IMG] I'll get a UTH to stick on the side next week.
    Thanks for the advice gweebles.

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

It's just hard to keep the humidity up on a small tank with a bulb. It sounds like it's the right temp, so it may not be that it's the wrong wattage. How is the light hitting the tank? I have found that if I can have the light or heat element shine on the side rather than the top, I don't loose as much humidity. Also, just make sure your substrate is nice and damp, especially on the lamp side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.