1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waterproof Natural Driftwood

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kuplakrabs, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

I have several gorgeous pieces of natural driftwood that I got from the shores of Lake Erie. I loved how they looked in my tank and the crabs absolutely adored it, but took them out over 2 months ago beacause I spotted mold on them where they came into contact with my substrate. I took them out boiled them and baked them dry. They have been air drying ever since.

I was brainstorming a while back and decided to see if I could, in essence, waterproof the wood somehow. I took aquarium sealant and glopped it onto the wood in the areas that would contact the substrate. Then I took my fingers and spread it into a very thin layer, making sure I covered each little nook and cranny. Taking care to cover areas that may get substrate piled up onto them when the crabs dig around. I works great! The wood looks a bit shiny in the areas in which the sealant has been applied, but it is hardly noticeable. I put them back into my tank and they have been in contact with my EE (Eco-Earth) for nearly 3 weeks with no problems.

I have also done this with cholla wood. To get into the holes, I used a toothpick and cotton swab. The cholla is a bit trickier and requires a bit of patience to fully cover the holes and to get up inside the cavity as well.

The only draw back would be for those of you that like to remove your woods on occasion to take them out and bake/microwave to sterilize them. I have no clue if the sealant could withstand those conditions. I'm not worried about sterilization so much any more, since it has come to light that a certain amount of good nitrifiying bacteria in a tank is necessary to help break down the poo, stray pieces of food, and remaining pieces of exo in the substrate.

2. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Awsome info there Kupla, thanks tons for sharring, i havent had any mold probs with wood thats in my main tank but with the teenies cocohut once in awhile it looks like its getting some white coloration to it where it comes in contact with the wet sand for long periods of time i just take it out wash it real well with boiling water and use non iodine table salt and a tooth brush and scrub the area real well then rinse super good and place the cocohut in the over to heat up and dry then its good for another couple weeks. Thats the only prob i have had so far with decorations in the hermie tanks.

3. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Me too-mold with the coconut huts...I chucked mine LOL and made some out of cork. I customized the size of the huts and openings and my crabs don't seem to miss the coconut ones.

4. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG] I noticed that my cork bark sections dont never get any mold on them. They lay in the moist peatmoss mix bedding and also on the sand and get wet from spraying from time to time but ya know i have never seen any mold on the cork.. Hmmmmmm intresting [​IMG] [​IMG] Plus the hermies love it when i mist-spray the cork bark sections they like to go and pic at it and eat it.. LOL!! Silly hermies.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.