I have several gorgeous pieces of natural driftwood that I got from the shores of Lake Erie. I loved how they looked in my tank and the crabs absolutely adored it, but took them out over 2 months ago beacause I spotted mold on them where they came into contact with my substrate. I took them out boiled them and baked them dry. They have been air drying ever since. I was brainstorming a while back and decided to see if I could, in essence, waterproof the wood somehow. I took aquarium sealant and glopped it onto the wood in the areas that would contact the substrate. Then I took my fingers and spread it into a very thin layer, making sure I covered each little nook and cranny. Taking care to cover areas that may get substrate piled up onto them when the crabs dig around. I works great! The wood looks a bit shiny in the areas in which the sealant has been applied, but it is hardly noticeable. I put them back into my tank and they have been in contact with my EE (Eco-Earth) for nearly 3 weeks with no problems. I have also done this with cholla wood. To get into the holes, I used a toothpick and cotton swab. The cholla is a bit trickier and requires a bit of patience to fully cover the holes and to get up inside the cavity as well. The only draw back would be for those of you that like to remove your woods on occasion to take them out and bake/microwave to sterilize them. I have no clue if the sealant could withstand those conditions. I'm not worried about sterilization so much any more, since it has come to light that a certain amount of good nitrifiying bacteria in a tank is necessary to help break down the poo, stray pieces of food, and remaining pieces of exo in the substrate.