1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Chuck_Norris, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

It all depends on where you have your well. My water in particular has high levels of iron and I think the magnesium is on the high side. However, my filtration system uses this stuff of which the names escapes me at the moment that gives you really good water without using chlorine, fluoride, or anything to that effect.

2. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

i have culligan water system at my house which i use for my crabs. it takes all metals and chlorine out of the water.

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I used distilled water, which is considered the best type of water for crabs. Distilled water is 'dead water' meaning that it has nothing in it which means it doesn't come with any chemicals in it, so you don't have to worry about additives.

Also, much water sold as 'spring' water is actually from municipal sources.

So as long as you give your crabs properly mixed salt water and a complete diet, distilled water is considered the best for your hermies.

4. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

Well I use bottled water for my crabs, but for 2 days I used tap water, now I'm very worried. What happens to a crab if it drinks tap water?

I also have salt water avalible, it's about time, haha.

5. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

If a crab is exposed to tap water for long periods of time, he will grow growths on his gills which will suffocate him. As long as it was for only two days, I wouldn't stress too much... just make sure to always have dechlor. on hand!

6. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

Thank you very much! I'm not too worried now. At least a found a nice little aquarium shop that sells dechlor, also with an appriciation for hermits. :]

7. sprite hermit

sprite hermit Hi, I'm New Here!

i have a question about the water with regards to the posts that have been made. is purified water safe? its like the next best thing to distilled water. here in my area we have water stations that fill up jerry bottles and 5 gallon bottles with purified water(drinking water) for a fee. its clean too. its not tap water.its water that well, has been cleansed of dirt and stuff.i ahve been using it and my crabs seem to be fine.distilled can be on the expensive side if bought on a regular basis just for crabs. there is also distilled water but thats a different purchase.:D

8. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Oh I wont even drink purified water- its purified with what--CHEMICALS and nonsense. Not to be gross but it could be sewer water "purified" I would always add the tap water conditioner to be safe- its cheap and lasts forever......

9. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Yep...purified doeasn't necessarily mean that it is chemical free...just means that it is clean for human consumption. It usually comes from a tap source. Spring water is usually chemical free and well water. I just dechlorinate everything regardless. I love my little guys too much to take a chance.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.