1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water

Discussion in 'What's Cooking? - Not Poison!' started by Chuck_Norris, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Which water would be better for crabs - distilled or spring water? And, is distilled water harmful to crabs? Is it better to just use treated tap water than store-bought water?

2. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

If I remember correctly they are not supposed to have distilled water.

3. Chuck_Norris

I'd read that somewhere, too, that's why I asked... but then I got confused because on another forum, lots of people said that they use distilled water... that's why I wanted to ask here. :)

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I use bottled water with my crabs. It's chlorine free and I've been told by many ppl that thats what they use & recommend.

5. Chuck_Norris

Is that just like the gallon of spring water you can buy at Walmart?

6. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

I like tape water.:D

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I just wait for bottled water to go on sale wherever. I don't even drink it, I buy it almost strictly for the crabs. Yeah, spring water is fine as far as I know. As long as it's chlorine free.

8. Emma Jean

Emma Jean (Small Crab)

Victoria, you use a dechlorinator on the tape water right?

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

ALL types of water should be dechlorinated..........there is more than chlorine that the conditioner takes out.

10. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I don't want to sound harsh, but you will kill your crab if you are using regular old tap water. It will burn their gills and is slow and painful...

11. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

i've been using tap water but i have a very good filter that cleans the water . Is this ok? ( ive been using it ever since i started in 2006)

12. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I don't know where you heard that distilled water is bad, Many experience crabbers use it. Distilled water is 'dead' water. When you add your salt to it, it provides any nutrients the crab needs from the water.

I'm quite surprised at your saying that distilled water is bad, because so many of us believe it's the best thing to use for our hermies.

Spring water is fine as long as it's from a spring and not from your municipal water company- you need to read the label.

13. Chuck_Norris

*huge sigh of relief*

I'm so glad you say that! I've been worried that I've been using the wrong thing this whole time. So, about the nutrients being taken out during the distillation process, the salt water provides those? That makes me feel tons better. Thank you so much! :D

14. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

If you have a well you don't have to dechlorinate it. I have one and as long as you don't have a water softener you should be ok with using it.

15. BiZAceTriZ

BiZAceTriZ Hi, I'm New Here!

err...i use tap water (dechlorinated with wardley+ammo-lock) to make salt water...
    is that ok?

16. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

In some areas of the country, like S. TX, chloramine and chlorine are both found in the water and extra conditioning drops are needed to remove the harmful chemicals. In the bottle or gallon jug, you can find distilled, spring, and purified water....spring water usually does not contain chlorine....purified water only has sediments removed, not the chlorine....I know some of you guys a re so against commercial products, but the chlorine removal drops in the hermie section will remove the chlorine....and they have some added nutrients as well. Don't forget to dechlorinate your salt water as well.

17. Chuck_Norris

It's not that all "commercial products" are bad, mainly just commercial foods. A lot of products made specifically for crabs are bad (both foods and products in general, i.e. "Paint-a-shell kit"), but if you do your research, you'll know what to avoid. ;)

I just don't see the point of adding drops to a water whenever I can buy water that doesn't have any chlorine in the first place. To each his own, of course.

18. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Funny you mention the "paint - shell-kit"...I was purchasing two new hermies last night and the lady at Petsmart said, "You know you can paint their shells with acrylic paint if you want them to look pretty." I told her no, thanks, we use natural shells only and we have plenty of nice ones.
    As for the water, it seems to be less costly to buy a bottle of drops and make the water by the gallon from the tap. You just have to make sure you have the proper drops. And as someone mentioned, well water does not need to be dechlorinated. You can also find out from your local municipal water facility if they use chlorine of chloramine in their tap water system.

19. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Doesn't well water have high iron in it? I always thought it did, but I don't know for sure. Just curious 'cause my in-laws next door have well water. I could just get a gallon off of them every once in a while. Then I wouldn't have to worry about using the wrong dechlorinator!!

20. Briard

Briard (Micro Crab)

Well water will have any minerals in it that are high at the source of the water. Most people with dug wells have had their water tested at some point so your in-laws might be able to tell you what is in their water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.