1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Washed play sand

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kimorris, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimorris

kimorris Hi, I'm New Here!

:think: is washed play sand safe to use. It seems to stick to crabs. I just switched to a 55gallon tank and my husband bought all this washed white sand. I have read many opinions but not sure if this is safe. Please help I don't want anything to happen to them. They have been in there for 2 days now. Tank you in advance

Kim

2. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

What kind of sand is it? Calcium based sand usually stick to everything when wet. It can get inside the crabs shell and irritate and even cut their abdomen. Playsand is a better choice.

3. kimorris

kimorris Hi, I'm New Here!

it was a clear bag with blue it says kolorScape washed play sand
    soft texture extra fine
    ideal for sandboxes
    do not use for hardscape projects, aquariums or traction.

at the bottom I just noticed a warning it says this product contains small amots of crystalline silica a common mineral found in natural sands and stones. excessive inhalation of respirable silica dust may cause cander avoid breather duct.

I think I should just replace this sand. it sounds dangerous

Kim

4. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Kolorsafe is a blend of silica and aragonite. Aragonite is lighter than silica which explains it sticking to everything. Regular play sand is 100% silica sand.

The warning on the label is in regard to humans breathing the dust in. For example when poured into the tank or play area for kids. Since it is damp the dust is not a problem.

Kolorsafe is one of the last companies to include aragonite in their sand.
    Check out this helpful link:
    http://thehermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=7742.0

5. liagiba

liagiba "First Molt In Progress"

@ Crabaddict: Is the kolorsafe sand good for the hermies? I just added a whole bag after baking it and then mixed with ee, and now I came accross this post...it is the same brand, same bag description I got from Walmart...is it safe?

6. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I've personally never used it. I don't see anything toxic to the crabs in it. The only problem I see is what kimmorris originally posted about, the sand sticking to everything in the tank. This may be potentially bad to the crabs. The sand may get in to their shells cause irritation to their soft abdomen. Which can lead to other problems like streaking or infection from a scratch or cut .

Regular playsand from a home depot type store is what you want. If you haven't already check out my sticky on substrate I'm including the link below.
    http://thehermitcrabaddiction.net/forum/index.php?topic=7742.0

7. liagiba

Thanks for the reply. I will be on my way to home depot and the pet shop and do it all over again.

8. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Is the kolorsafe sand you added sticking to everything like it was for the op?
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

9. liagiba

No, its not . I haven't change it yet because I couldn't go out yesterday or today. However, I did not use the sand alone, I mix it with about the same amount of EE, and I mean really mix it, is not half side sand, half side EE, I mixed it all with lots of salt water. The hermits are pretty active except Chomper, who went down right away, I think he is ready to molt. I don't see sand sticking to them, but it can be because it is mixed with EE. I plan to change it sometime this week. Thanks for your help. :twirl:

10. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

Since it's not sticking, I think it's fine :katertater:

I hope Chomper molts quick for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.