1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to say Hi + my new tank and stand I made.... Lots of pics

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Hartmut, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hartmut

Hartmut Guest

First of all would like to say hi to everybody, my names Tim, I am 18 and live in NJ. I have started collecting Hermits since mid-June with my girlfriend. As of now I have 13, 2 (bad crabs) in a seperate 10 gallon, and 12 others ina 40BR.

Here are some pics of the stand I made, and how I decorated it, (Also have some more climby vines, and a waterfall coming in the mail :))

Click on images to see full 1024x768////768x1024

[​IMG]
    Tank Stand took me about 3 hours to make.
    [​IMG]
    Cut out hole for the UTH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon I will be posting pics of all my hermits, need some help IDing a few species...... any comments or constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tim

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

Everything looks good! My recomendation is ya gotta ditch the commercial foods. They are extremely bad for them.

I will toot my own horn, lol check out The Addictions Ebay store. I sell the epicurean line of foods along with the ones The Addiction has made.

Welcome to the site and post pics, we love pics of crabs! :cheesygrin:

3. Hartmut

Hartmut Guest

Thanks, I am actually looking at your stuff right now. (lol) Will be buying lots of food, and the Choya wood is so inexpensive!. As for dechlortinator, is the Zoo med Water Dechlorinator ok?, I use instant ocean for the salt water.

And a Picture of Oberon, currently resizing other pics.

[​IMG]

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Im not sure of Zoo Med, I use AP(aquarium pharmacuticals). If anyone else uses ut they will chime in.

Cute crab and love the name!

5. Amie91280

Amie91280 "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Oberan is a really pretty PP! Isn't that name from Shakespeare? King of the Faries?

6. Hartmut

Hartmut Guest

Thanks, yah Oberon was from shakespeare, and also from Frankish Mythology.

Oberon's status as king of the elves comes from the character of Alberich (elbe "elves" reix, rex "king"), a sorcerer in the legendary history of the Merovingian dynasty.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(mythology))

Lots of my Crabbies have Germanic/Norse mythological names.

Just spelled his name wrong in first post :S.

7. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

Nice tank Hartmut! Vicki, you say to ditch the commerical foods. I have read this before and have also seen you should always have it available. Haven't really been sure if I should stop including in their diet or not. I just purchased some food items from your store and can't wait for them to get here. Is there anything in particular that should always be available for them to be sure what they "need" is always available?
    Thanks!

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

The thing with commercial pet foods is that the companies don't always have to listen every ingredient. Most of the hermit crab ones contain EQ, which we know is harmful to hermit crabs. I always have a dry kibble in my tank. There's a few to choose from. Julia Crabs Epicurean Hermit Crab Quisine is a favorite. Naturally Crabby makes a dry kibble that smells divine! One of thos are always in my tank. I then add fresh fruits, veggies and proteins in another food dish.
    Another great dry kibble to keep in there is the Zeaxantastic molting food. Whether your crabs ar emolting or not, it's packed with much needed vitamins. Also with the dry kibbles, you don't need much. A half clam shell in my tanks last about 4 days.

9. k_n_68048

k_n_68048 Guest

I will add to my crabbie grocery list! Thx Vicki :thanks:

10. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

The tank looks great and very nice job on the stand! :clever66: love the cut out for the UTH.

We love pics so hopefully you can keep up the pic posting!! I saw your crabs on the other post you have all E's and PP's.......... :vinkko:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.