1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WALMART!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by piccaloooo, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piccaloooo

piccaloooo Hi, I'm New Here!

this...is simply awful.

Crabinacup has started appearing in Walmarts across the USA. Land Hermit Crabs (as well as frogs, bettas) are sold in a cup in Walmart stores. Please sign our petition and show Walmart that we do NOT want crabinacup (or any animal in a cup) and that this type of animal cruelty will not be condoned. Land Hermit Crabs (and other animals) deserved to be treated with dignity and respect, not as a fast food type merchandise - a pet to go. Land Hermit Crabs deserve to be kept in a glass tank with a lid, an under tank heater to meet the temperature and humidity needs, enough space to walk and climb, places to hide and de-stress, and a fitting place to live until sold. Selling a crab in a cup with a layer of gravel and water is NOT appropriate and stores that sell land hermit crabs this way are guilty of animal cruelty.

here is a link to the petition and a photo.

[​IMG]

2. piccaloooo

3. piccaloooo

one more reply to myself [​IMG]

these hermit crabs are fed BREAD. and as far as i can remember from reading replies...that is ALL they are offered.

the girl who found the crabs in this condition said one crab was dead in the cup and the bread had molded and i believe was sticking to the poor little hermie. ugh, how can stores get away with such inhumanity?

4. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

"how can stores get away with such inhumanity?"

one word,
    MONEY!!
    [​IMG]

5. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Yes Sharon I Agree 100%,

Whenever you want to dissect something bad in this world 99.9% of the time you just:

"Follow The Money Trail"

CAPPA

6. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I agree cappa, people really need to get a clue what this life is about, and it is NOT the money!!!!!
    [​IMG]

7. chazmom

chazmom Hi, I'm New Here!

CUPS HIT HOLMES COUNTY OHIO -
    We're in the middle of no where but 65+ little cups showed up at our Wal-Mart on Tuesday of this week. Of course I didn't see them until yesterday (Wed). I found about 6 sitting on shelf - the smell was horrific! I asked to speak with a manager. A nice young guy who seemed truly shocked to see the cups because he led me out to the isle to the 55 gal tank he personally had set up.

I spent a good 20 minutes talking with him and he admitted that the pet supplier just shipped them. They were provided no information and no special supplies or display. He went to the paint department and got a natural sponge, and cut into pieces. He explained that he washed it repeatedly. He had offered a variety of eats although the pellet food was larger than some of the crabs!

I was impressed with talking with the young man he did seem to care. I promised to bring him information on care and treatment. I will also be providing him with a list of items that he should request to carry in the pet department. Such as sponges, heaters, EE and different foods. Dustin offered to provide handouts to customers on crab care - he said he'd even make the copies. So I guess we'll have to see if he follows through. My son & I will be visiting with him on Friday evening.

My son is developing a self-determined 4-H project around his crabitat. One Activity he had identified was "Educate others on the care of Land Hermit Crabs" here is a great opportunity for him to educate many as well as help in the care of a large number of crabs.

Ironically I had just signed the Wal-Mart petition yesterday! If we can get this crab in a cup stopped great but if not we need to be on the offensive to ensure that they are getting proper care. I'll be visiting another Wal-Mart north of here this evening to check out their display.

"Crab in a cup??? - Would you keep a cat in a shoebox??"

8. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

chazmom [​IMG]

9. crabstreet

crabstreet Hi, I'm New Here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chazmom:
    CUPS HIT HOLMES COUNTY OHIO -
    We're in the middle of no where but 65+ little cups showed up at our Wal-Mart on Tuesday of this week. Of course I didn't see them until yesterday (Wed). I found about 6 sitting on shelf - the smell was horrific! I asked to speak with a manager. A nice young guy who seemed truly shocked to see the cups because he led me out to the isle to the 55 gal tank he personally had set up.

I spent a good 20 minutes talking with him and he admitted that the pet supplier just shipped them. They were provided no information and no special supplies or display. He went to the paint department and got a natural sponge, and cut into pieces. He explained that he washed it repeatedly. He had offered a variety of eats although the pellet food was larger than some of the crabs!

I was impressed with talking with the young man he did seem to care. I promised to bring him information on care and treatment. I will also be providing him with a list of items that he should request to carry in the pet department. Such as sponges, heaters, EE and different foods. Dustin offered to provide handouts to customers on crab care - he said he'd even make the copies. So I guess we'll have to see if he follows through. My son & I will be visiting with him on Friday evening.

My son is developing a self-determined 4-H project around his crabitat. One Activity he had identified was "Educate others on the care of Land Hermit Crabs" here is a great opportunity for him to educate many as well as help in the care of a large number of crabs.

Ironically I had just signed the Wal-Mart petition yesterday! _If we can get this crab in a cup stopped great but if not we need to be on the offensive to ensure that they are getting proper care._ I'll be visiting another Wal-Mart north of here this evening to check out their display.

"Crab in a cup??? - Would you keep a cat in a shoebox??" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am so happy to hear that there are people like Dustin out there that do genuinely care about the animals they care for in the store. Is there any way that you can find out who the supplier is?
    Thanks for sharing your news, and I hope crabinacup is soon a thing of the past.

[​IMG]

10. chazmom

chazmom Hi, I'm New Here!

Chaz and I were back in the store on Friday evening. We gave Dustin some info but they were having a District Inspection of some sort. I probably should have taken the opportunity but I was short on time and everyone was really stressed - I got the definite impression that the visit was not going well.

I actually have a relative that stocks at the store. I'll doing some investigating and see what I can find out.

There were no more cups sitting around and it looked like several had been sold but that is worrisome because they don't carry sponges, heaters or suitable substrate.

This would probably be a great time for everyone to be sure they are on the adoption list (I'm not yet) at crabstreet we probably will see an increase if the number of unwanteds - that is if people care enough to find a new home.

11. piccaloooo

well, i finally paid our new walmart (of 8 days in business) a visit last night, and lo and behold, hermit crabs. in a ten gallon. i was somewhat excited at first, thinking ok, maybe this store is not like the others. nah, they are. i was searching for their water dish. um. they dont HAVE a water dish. what they had for 'water' was some sort of sponge thing. it reminded me of a fish filter. it was the color of a natural sponge but it was tube shaped and impossible to tell if it was wet due to the coloring. there was one hermie in the tank begging me to take him home. oh i was tempted. to buy him and his 15 brothers. but i couldn't exactly get someone to get him for me after i left the not so nice note on the tank. the food? HERMIT CRAB CAKES. ok, i have those for mine - among 15 other foods, but the bottle is still completely full. they can't EAT those. especially given the 'cakes' are BIGGER than the big pinchers of the crabs. god i was so mad.

frogs in plastic containers, snails, bettas. pathetic. and about 20 of those containers with a bit of gravel waiting to house the crabs upon purchase.

does NO ONE regulate the hermit crab business?

i made a list the other night of all the crabs i have gotten since august. roughly 50+. and about 20 of those died. about 15 of them were absolute rescues. 2 stuck in shells and couldn't get out, 1 had a crust all over her legs, 3 were in shells so small all they could do is lay down, legs snapped off because of the crap shell they were forced into. 2 HUGE crabs in shells smaller than their BP (marigold is one of those, i should post a pic of her before and after). ah, i could go on and on. i'm SO PETA about these hermit crabs.

i just wish there was more that we could do. they can't speak, we need to do it for them. chirp out loud! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

13. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I went to our walmart this weekend (only because I had a gift card...I refuse to shop there otherwise). Thank goodness, no crabbies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.