1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WalMart Selling Hermies..

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by CudaCrabby, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG] [​IMG]Well im alittle mad at this time due to i got a call from oldest daughter stating WalMart is selling hermies now, she says she got up there and they had about 20 of them each one in a little deli cup with tiny gravel and water.. RRRRRRRRRRRRRR she says that they were in really bad shape and was just drowning in the water.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    She said there was no room for food dish or anything else in the tiny deli containers.. She also told me the guy that was working in the department she gave a real hard time to talked to him about proper care and proper housing and told him this situation is un exceptable and that he needs to improve it right away and also gave him several of HCRU biz cards to place next to the hermies deli cups. She also explained to the guy to get his butt over here and learn a few things about hermies and there care. She told me she was just in tears over the poor hermies as some of them was dead in the little cups, she managed to get enough money together to save 4 of them and said they look to be like Indos.. It was bad enough Meijers was selling them and not properly carring for them and after much complaining and taking pics and few others getting ahold of the head of Meijers did they finaly stop selling them for now, now we have to deal with WalMart. Im gona try to get up there on Thursday which is supose to be the day they come in and get pics and also do some talking [​IMG] to the head of the store. Im really mad at these people they should not be aloud to even sell animals like this if they can not properly provide proper care and housing.. Later on im gona head over to my daughters to take alook at these poor hermies she took in.. I will keep you all posted as to what goes on with WalMart.

2. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] urghh, Well Tracy I can see why you are so angry. I just called my local Walmart, and asked if they had them. The girl said, they don't carry hermit crabs. [​IMG] Yeah, I hope you can educate your Walmart. [​IMG]

GooD LuCk [​IMG]

3. kittykat

kittykat Hi, I'm New Here!

well, if i see any hermies at walmart, i am going to save one, especially now that i have a bigger tank. at least they will have food and water and room to crawl around here, than at walmart. it's just sad that so many people think that these cute little crabs are just thow-away pets. how sad. [​IMG]

4. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

call 1-800-walmart to complain for starters, then call your animal control and see if there are any store/pet laws, if so, call the Walmart manager and tell him you are going to report him/store if the conditions are not changed overnight! They do have the equipment on hand to change their conditions overnight!
    I did that with a Walmart around here for the whole fish department, it ws closed down for a couple months, then remodeled.

5. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I've been looking into this issue myself in the effort to get painted shells banned in my county.

Unfortunately, hermits are cold blooded and are not protected by the Animal Welfare Act. http://www.idausa.org/facts/awafacts.html
    http://petstoreabuse.tripod.com/cando.html

Basically, there is no law protecting hermits and providing a basic modicum of care.

However, a friend told me that this organization is getting started in the US:

http://www.pijac.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1

I am hoping that we can use their power to change hermit conditions here in the U.S.

6. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

thank you for that info kali, sad that it(meaning any animal) has no rights to be treated humane if it is considered "coldblooded"!!!!

7. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

My goodness, I read the Animal Welfare Act info on that first link, and it hardly provides any protection for the animals it DOES cover, let alone the ones it doesn't...not to mention all the loopholes that keep animals from being covered.

8. Aviate

Aviate "Never Molted"

I am sickened to hear this about walmart.. ugh.. I want to cry. Can we do anything? [​IMG] Did you call them or go in? Not that it would help...... a hermie in a cup!! How sick.. just sick. I cant even think, it makes me so angry.

9. crabstreet

crabstreet Hi, I'm New Here!

Hi Everyone,

I was alerted to the crabinacup problem and decided to do something which may help.

I created the start of an archive of messages, a photo and a link to an online petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/crabacup/

I encourage everyone to use the Walmart webpage

http://www.walmartfacts.com/talkwithus/

to email or phone and let them know that you are not happy with such low quality of care, and perhaps contact local media and alert them to the crabinacup, and also the froginacup and bettainacup. Photos would be great.

There is something we can do. I'm in Australia but I'm trying all I can.

10. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

I have signed the petition on behalf of all HCRU but still encourage every HCRU member to sign individually as I am sure they will. We have such "Loyal" Members! HCRU ROCKS!

Thanks for setting this up as well as bringing this to the HCRU Communitys attention. Vanessa You are a great Gal.

Best Regards,
    Cappa

11. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I signed it (68) and passed the link on to all my animal friends! Thank you for the petition!!

12. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I signed it too. I actually stopped shopping at Walmart for other reasons, I may go back just to see if they have crab in a cup by me and raise a little hell. I'd be reluctant to buy them out in attempt to save the critters, only because that creates a demand in the market for them. Maybe buy them out, and return the next day with a handful of empty shells and claim they all died because of their inhumane conditions & demand my money back. I know it's shadey, but for a good cause, and if everyone did that they would have no choice but to change their practices. [​IMG] Nevermind me.. sometimes I let my evil thoughts ramble on, but s*** like this pi**es me off. I had seen them do it with the betta fish, and I just assumed they were cleaning out their real tanks, I had no idea! I would have said something.

13. lucco

lucco Hi, I'm New Here!

14. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

WOW-check out how many signatures there are since last night-Whew!

15. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

But we need so many more signatures, keep spreading the word to all your family and friends to sign.
    I worked for Wal Mart as a gardener, their motto is in numbers. They have millions of customers, 500 is nothing compared to millions in their perspectives. Sad isn't it.

16. BL00DYMARY

Walmart has been steadily losing customers en mass. There are just so many reasons NOT to contribute to their business. I know I personally probably sponsered at least two of their employees weekly paychecks when I shopped there. No more. Their motto should be "Walmart: We just don't care"

17. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I signed the pettition and passed it on to my friends. I hope we all help and get this stopped. [​IMG]

18. BL00DYMARY

Ummm... I am the only ones that noticed the somewhat inappropriate ads that google was running amidst the petition signatures?

19. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I signed and got off, did not see any ads?
    Now I have to go and look, nosey I guess!~

20. crabstreet

crabstreet Hi, I'm New Here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappa:
    I have signed the petition on behalf of all HCRU but still encourage every HCRU member to sign individually as I am sure they will. We have such "Loyal" Members! HCRU ROCKS!

Thanks for setting this up as well as bringing this to the HCRU Communitys attention. Vanessa You are a great Gal.

Best Regards,
    Cappa <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Cappa! WOW! We have almost hit the 1000 mark! Thank you to EVERYONE who voted and spread the word about the petition. Walmart has been contacted and they are very aware of the petition and outrage of the land hermit crab owning community and already some stores are no longer stocking crabinacup.

Chaplain wrote to CSJ Forum (A Crabby Affair section) about her local Walmart in Normal, Illinois on January 24th and by January 29th there were no more crabinacups in that store!

You can read about it here Link
    and here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.