1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walmart- once again!

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by susan9347, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

I went to Walmart to find all these poor little E's in this tiny little space with bad store brand food and brocolli that looked like it's been in there for sooo long. There was maybe 1cm of sand. I felt so horrible for them so decided to take 5 home. I finally found someone to assist me in taking them. He told me he wasn't from this department and there wasn't even anyone that is in control of the pet section! It's just whoever that walks by. I was sooo ticked off. Anyways, I told him I wanted 5. Expecting him to take out a little box to put them in it was a plastic bag they use for the fish. He starts picking them out and just droping the poor things in the bag!! I told him to not do that because he's hurting the poor things. He just laughed and kept doing it as they are banging off each others shells. :eek: :mad: Was horrible! :( Then I asked him to put papertowel or something in the bag so they can hide and have something to hold onto at least. He goes to wet it with tap water.. and I gasped and said no! Anyways, took them home. After a week, 1 didn't make it, but the rest have survived and seem to be doing much better than they were. :D All fresh and organic foods.

2. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I rescued my newest from Walmart ( I just posted).

Our Walmart never carried crabs before. I only found a few things that needed to be changed. They use Calci-sand, and it's not deep enough at that. They have no spare shells. Only one water dish, so I assume they aren't given salt water.

The humidity was right on though. And the crabs seem active and healthy, for now.

I am going to contact them though with a list of suggestions for improvement.

Lucky was also sent home in a bag with paper towel. The girl nearly used tap water, then jumped to a spray bottled of treated water before I had to say anything. She also knew nothing about crabs. I said I wanted one, and ofcourse, "well do you know how to take care of them?" I told her I had 12 and she shut up, lol. But when I was leaving she blurted out "well whats your humidity read at?" I said "it's right where it should be." I thought, don't start with me woman, I know what I'm doing! lol.

I really wish the employers would assign a specific employee to stay in the pet section and have them read care sheets on all the animals they carry. But only in a perfect world apparently.

3. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

Notice it says you are in Ontario, where abouts are you? I'm from Ontario too.

The sand they used at my walmart looked like normal sand, but not sure. It wasn't deep enough. They were in like one of the little tiny fish tanks in the fish section. Maybe 1 cubic foot? There was two spare shells (not even pearl interior like most prefer) out of like 12 crabs that were cramed in this small space. They had only one tiny dish with what looked like fish flakes so i'm assuming its some crap store bought hermit crab food and another with water that was practically all dried up. They didn't have a treated water spray bottle, so assuming they've been drinking tap water. I have no idea what the humidity or the temperature of the little tank was because they didn't have a thermometer/hydrometer. All they had for hides was this piece of wood, which probably wasn't even a safe wood eihter. It looks like they never clean it or provide fresh food often.

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Thats horrible. I myself am from Oshawa, which is about a half hour from Toronto. Where are you from?

5. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

I'm currently wayyyy up North. Past North Bay for school. LOL I am from the Barrie area though normally.. haha

6. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I' glad my Wal Marts down here don't carry pets. Our experience with a crabby being put into a plastic grocery sack was bad enough....from a mall kiosk...they usually sell the crab with a "package".

7. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

omg a grocery bag?! Dunno which one is worse! :( They are both horrible. I have yet to see a mall kiosk that sells hermit crabs.. hope I never do.

8. krackersmom2

It was actually my mom and my son, but they told me what happened...good thing I wasn't there. It sounds like a kiosk similar to the one at the sea shell shop I frequent.

9. susan9347

susan9347 (Micro Crab)

Yikes! >_< You don't want to give the store owners business, but you just can't help but feel bad for them and take them home.

10. wachfuleyez

wachfuleyez "Never Molted"

YikesI thought that was very cruel.I too had my twin shell hermies put into plastic bags. I expressed my concern being that I just brought one from a rather small store from a large chain they put them in a box with a wet sponge.well the saleman said you are going straight home?I told him dose it matter I'm buying from here and thats not the proper way only because I seen it done differently which seemed better

11. krackersmom2

Ask him if he'd like someone to take him "straight home" from work in a balloon?:p

12. wachfuleyez

wachfuleyez "Never Molted"

would you know I'm downing loading the care sheet and personally posting it on the tank their housed in. the only reason I go there is because they always seem to have very active crabs dispite the conditons(humidity always seem great?) just my pure luck I brought an small E there theyre always in some nice shell

13. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

I thought Wal*marts could'nt do that anymore??? I'm confused. Mine doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.