1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vicki ...

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by msdiamonddawg, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

...is there such thing as a "fat" crab? If so, I think mine is heading that way. Batman sat in the shrimp bowl for an hour the day before yesterday (one of his favorite foods). Then yesterday I gave them a shmorgasboard, mish-mash of the food I received from you. Holy cow! He wouldn't stop eating! He particularly loves dried fruit, so your cranberries went over great! And of course, the worm castings. My b/f and I sat watching in amazement as he just kept stuffing food in his face! We got tired just watching him and left but everything was pretty much gone by the morning!

Thanks! I know where I'm getting all my frood from in the future! :D

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL I know a few peoples crabs have sat in the dish for hours at a time. From what I understand they could be lacking something so once they get it they will eat that, could either be replenishing after a molt or gearing up for a molt.

3. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I bet that was great to see after Batman wanting not to be bothered by anything. Sounds like a very positive sign, and probably ineresting to watch, too. By the way, what was he eating?

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

I have an Indo Im keeping for someone and when I put in a sprouts bowl he will go sit on it. He's bigger then the bowl and covers in entirely. Im not to sure he wants to share LOL

5. msdiamonddawg

Well, I think I have mentioned before that I have come to the conclusion that handling them too much just stresses them out more, so I don't really handle them anymore. I can just imagine what my big hand coming into the tank must feel like to them, and then getting scooped out of thier home! If I do, like yesterday I picked one up to move out of the way, they get a little pinchy! I LOVE watching them, and if they're happy in the tank, I'm happy! Batman was stuffing dried cranberries and worm castings into his mouth when we left him!

Ohh, not sure what Batman might be missing. His colour has gone a beautiful shade of dark purple now. I feed them many different fresh things every night, but maybe he just loves his food ... like his mother! LOL ....

6. Itsy

Itsy "Second Molt, A Success"

I have the same thing with my hermies ever since i started putting in old exos all my crabs colours have gone wow! So i decided when i get paid im going to be making my own mixes and see how that goes hey vicki your the best at doing recipes can you tell me if the mixes ive made are any good?

Mix 1

Chicken bone, cuttle bone, egg shell, mealworms, and popcorn

Mix 2

dried apples, dried bananas, whole oats, dried parsley, sesame, and sunflower seeds.

Mix 3

Almonds, ground cholla wood, cheerios, crickets, brown rice, and rose petals

let me know what you think or if i should change one up.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

One ingredient thats good for color is astaxanthin. Especially for straws. It can be rather expensive, cheapest I found is $12 for 2 ounces, but you only need to sprinkle it on food and it can last awhile. I do sell small packets of it and it's in the Straw Species Mix.

Itsy they sound good, sometimes it's best not to use a mix as they won't eat the same thing in a row. So maybe have 1 mix and the rest feed as individual choices. That way you can rotate them out more often. Rotate out foods every 4 days(if you feed chicken on monday, don't feed it again til Friday). I'd also offer more proteins,the chicken and crickets are good, and add more cellulose(leaves, corn cobs) The tannins help with color as well. Dark green veggies can't go wrong with using those. And if you can get your hands on orange bell peppers, those have the highest carotids(again coloring) of the bell peppers(green is last, but still is good). One thing with the peppers, once dried it's not alot. LOL I dried 8 bell peppers which I thought was more then enough to add to my mix. Wrong.....lol But since it's just your crabs, I'd say 1-2 dried is more then enough.

8. vckums

vckums Moderator

Oh and the best fruit blueberries, Goji berries and cranberries. Those are the more beneficial fruits. If you can find lychee fruit(dried) try that as well.

Sorry I seem to think of stuff after I post lol

9. Itsy

its ok lol im trying harder to meet my crabs needs and i can get yellow peppers any time i was just wonder aswell how do you dry out bananas, peppers, ect?

10. msdiamonddawg

Okay, so I've been home for about an hour and guess what - Batman has been sitting in a shell filled with oak bark and he's been munching down since I got in! I'm changing his name to Fat Albert!

11. Itsy

lol thats funny i put rose petals in my tank last night n half of them are eaten! Im so glad i found something different for them!

12. vckums

vckums Moderator

LOL fat albert....the wittle crabby is hungry mom...

I use a dehydrator machine. It works pretty fast

13. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I don't think there is maby there is.

14. msdiamonddawg

Fat Albert makes me feel like I have been a bad mommy! Why is he eating so much now that I got all this new food? I thought I was meeting all his dietary needs. ... hmmm Vicki ... it's all your fault! Now I'll have to go broke feeding him Buggy Delight and worm poop! :) LOL ....

At this rate, he is going to molt again!

On the other hand, sweet, dainty little Daisy is more finicky. I don't even know what her favourite food is or if she even has one.

15. vckums

vckums Moderator

People have joked that the worm poop is crabby crack LOL When did Fat Albert molt last?

16. msdiamonddawg

Fat Albert aka Batman just came up the week of March 18th after being down for 4 weeks....

17. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hmmm someone I know has a PP that sat in her food dish daily and ate alot. He ended up doing back to back molts within weeks of each other. Keep an eye on him.

They don't snack, they only eat when hungry so if he's eating hes a hungry crab.

Ever see South Park? One of the kids used Weight Gain 4000, to "bulk up". Maybe FA is bulking up hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.