1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very upset, need Advice

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by stormshadow, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormshadow

stormshadow Hi, I'm New Here!

When will I be able to take down the divider and not have to worry about the crab being killed by the other?

I have had them for well over a year and never any problems with fighting until this molt.

2. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

Alright, first off. . .

Get rid of the water. Filtered tap still has chlorine in it which is bad for crabs.

Go buy a gallon of Spring Water or distilled water from the grocery store and give them both a bath.

The shells that are in there don't appear to be good sizes for the crabs. Crabs are very picky about shells.

Salt water is a must. "Land Hermit Crabs" don't like live in a forest or anything, they are from beaches and tropical areas.

That calci-sand is a terrbile substrate for them. Crabs need to dig and destress. Calci sand is just too thin of a material. When hermit crabs dig they will create tunnels so air can still get to them - which is impossible to do with that sand.

If you absolutely wont use eco earth go to Home Depot and get some "Play Sand" - is like 5 bucks for 50 lbs or something like that. Smell it first- make sure it doesn't have an order. Take it home and bake it at like 350 for 30 minutes or so. Again, give them 4-5 inches of the new bedding.

Get a humidity guage! Hermit crabs have gills and extract water from the air to breath.

I think you can take the UTH out and tape it to the side of the tank instead of under that substrate. I dunno how hot yours gets, but I wouldn't want my crabs crawling on mine. Your temp shouldn't change from it either.

3. Mallie

Also, check out the food list forums for appropriate food to feed them.

Trash the food and give them new fresh food every day. Get a cuttlebone from the store (usually in the bird section- very inexpensive) and break it up in their food - its a great source of calcium and other important neutrients.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Coat Water Conditioner

Here is a dechlorinator for the water if you don't want to continue to get gallons at the store.

MARINELAND.COM - CONSUMER PRODUCTS

This is instant ocean. I have two gallons of Fresh Water - one has just a touch of stress coat, and the other is for salt water.

**I have no doubt that once you make these changes your crabs will be happier and you can take that piece of cardboard out. If you provide them with protien they will stop trying to kill eachother, and if you give them a good substrate then they can destress and I am sure their moods will change. Also, pick up some more shells. If they haven't changed into the ones you have now - then replace them and get some more that are closer to their size.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

you need a bigger tank--good work helping him Mallie

5. Mallie

As a side note. . .

And I am not trying to be mean, but your hermies have a high chance of passing away.

With all the stress they've been dealing with and the loss of limbs (aggressive or otherwise) is a bad sign.

However, if you make these changes, then you will increase their chance of survival ten fold. Not to mention, you'd be providing a good home for future hermit crabs - so long as you stop taking out your anger on them!

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Tree crabs is another name for land hermit crabs and they most definitely come in contact with the ocean (salt water).

7. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Mucho Kudos, Mallie. You handled the situation with total poise and expertise! I was just too upset to think straight! Wonderful job!!!

StormShadow--please take the advice of the good folks here. They KNOW what they are talking about. And if you don't feel like you can deal with the crabbies without harming them out of frustration, then please adopt them out. Sorry if we were harsh, but that was a VERY shocking confession and disturbing to say the least. Please think before you act. Keep us posted on their conditions.

8. stormshadow

1. Where is the best place online to buy shells?

2. Do I want two sponges/dishes in there? One with salt water and one with plain?

3. I will purchase that eco earth as you have suggested, I was thinking of doing half sand and half eco earth?

Thanks for the help.

9. Mallie

I did half calci sand/half eco earth for a while and they NEVER went over there. Not even to play. Now they are all over the tank.

So if you want sand, get that play sand I was talking about.

I'd suggest getting a 10g tank too... they are like 10.99 at my local pet store.

You can put sponges in both if you'd like. I just keep small ones in mine (looks like I have the same dishes as you) that way they can get out easily, or pop on to drink off of.

GL and keep us posted.

Don't be surprised if they both go inactive for a while.

Is this the first time one has molted?

Hermit crabs will put off molting if the conditions aren't right.

As far as shells, well I just do random searches, and TBH i have never purchased shells online. I usually just snag some from Michaels or JoAnn Fabrics (both arts and crafts type of places) then I boil them for 10 minutes.

10. Mallie

For The Crabbies!

11. stormshadow

It looks like Petsmart has alot of the items I need. I will go there tomorrow.

I was going to get this humidity gauge, what do you think?

I will take your advice and just use the Eco Earth for the whole tank.

I got them August of 2006 and this was the first molt, a few days ago.

I should have searched for a discussion board along time ago, I was just relying on what I could gather from websites.

Do you have any pics of your tank?

Attached Files:

12. Mallie

They have some good basics, but don't buy food there.

Sadly, I don't have a working camera =( Otherwise I'd give you pics.

A tip for the Eco Earth:

Get a clean bucket or wash and wipe out your sink and then plug it up.
    Three cups of dechlorinated tap into your sink or bucket and toss 1 brick into it.

Get a big scooper or spoong and shuffle it around every so often. It takes about 30 mintues to get it totally expanded.

Put your hermies in a deep dish for the time being and take like 2 or 3 cups of your calci-sand out of your old crabitat.

With your new tank next to the sink, start scooping the eco earth into the tank, sqeezing out any extra moisture (It squeezes like a sponge and too much moisture can cause fungus, so squeeze as much out as possible).

It will seem like you are putting too much bedding in, but just keep going until you have 4 inches.

dump your sand all over the top of the bedding and mix with your hands.

I had about 1/2 a freezer size ziplock bag left over of the eco earth that I can save to re-moisturize the tank in a few weeks.

13. stormshadow

So you are suggesting that I mix in sand with it, and not just straight eco earth?

14. Mallie

Yeah, it makes for a good substrate.

They can still bury and they can also eat that calci sand.

Edit for clairification:

Calci sand isnt a bad product so long as it is not used as a main substrate. And so long as it isnt dyed (but I saw that yours isnt so thats a non issue). The reason not to use it solo is because its just too fine. But if you mix it in, they can still get the benifit of calcium from it. Not to mention - it's $$.

I personally wouldn't buy the product again, but I already had it, so I just used it with the rest of my substrate.

15. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

stormshadow--sounds like you're on the right track now!! Good luck!!

16. stormshadow

Ok, here is the new Home

Now what do I feed them?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  17. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Go to Vickis store and she has a HUGE selection of nutritional foods and is very reasonaly priced

18. minicrabby

minicrabby Hi, I'm New Here!

I must agree, every one did an excellent job. I want to make one point though- if you have well water, you may not need the spring water. It has no chlorine, although you may want to check for iron before giving it back to your crabs.

19. vckums

vckums Moderator

The tank looks good. Just make sure the substrate is deep enough to cover your biggest crab by a few inches.

I'd recommend taking out the sponges from the bowls. The crabs cant refill their shell water with those in there.

20. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

They also like Cholla wood to climb on, you might want to get a piece and lean it in there so they have something to climb. I've heard some stories about that type of coconut background so I tend to avoid it.
    Here is what Cholla wood looks like:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.