1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very upset, need Advice

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by stormshadow, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormshadow

stormshadow Hi, I'm New Here!

I have two land hermit crabs that I bought from the beach, and have had them for over a year now. I have done my best to take really good care of them and things were going great...

Until the other day one of them molted. Then I noticed the unmolted crab coming over and starting at the one that just molted, so I separated them for a couple days.

The newly molted crab ate a good bit of his molt, started walking around, and seemed good enough to defend himself, as they have never fought before, no missing limbs or anything of that nature... So I put them back together a day or so ago.

Well tonight I see that the one has ripped off the small pincher and a leg of the molted crab.

My question is what to do now? This injured crab has his large claw and two legs on one side, and only one leg on the other. Will he starve since he does not have a small claw to eat with?

I am not worried about the mean crab, I took care of the thumb on his large claw rendering it useless. I post this not to upset anyone, but I am afraid that if I didn't even out the playing field that they would have to be separated forever, and if I did put them back together months from now, I would find a dead crab.

2. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Am I understanding this properly - you took out your crabs large claw - so that he can't use it anymore?!?! Are you serious?? If I'm understanding correctly, I'm a little more than pi**ed to say the least. There would have been ways to take care of your crab, rather than injuring it!

3. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

OMG You ripped you're crabbie's claw in two????? WHY??? You could have just separated them.
    I have one crab who's small pincher is broken and he does fine. I have a freshly molted crab who is missing a leg and he does fine. I at no time felt the need to rip apart my other crabs to "even the playing field".

4. stormshadow

Not the whole claw, just the movable pincher part of it.

When I saw that helpless crab with two legs missing I was very upset at the other one for doing such a thing.

NO I should not have done that and I am sorry that I did. The only thing that I can say is that I have done my best to take very good care to see that they have a happy home, and when I saw this yesterday I had a meltdown.

What will become of the crab with two legs missing? Will they grow back right away, or will they be missing for another year until he molts again?

Will the thumb on the large pincher claw grow back for the other crab?

I have the cage divided in two now, and I don't know what to expect. Will they ever get along again, or is this just temporary for the molting period?

5. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Wow. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh (although it's no where near as harsh as what you did), but I really don't care what part of the crab you ripped apart, only that you did it. Nor do I care that you had a meltdown, or that you now feel sorry for what you did ... you should! How can anyone do that to a poor helpless tiny animal. I can't believe that you would even post something like that on this forum with members who do nothing but love and want the best for their crabs. I think even long time crabbers can attest to the fact that they have not once wanted to "level the playing field". Sheesh.

For the sake of your poor crabs .. yes, they should regenerate their limbs after a molt.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Canibalism tends to happen when there's not enough protein being offered in their diet. This will make them resort to eating one another. You should be offering them proteins every day in their food bowls.

Do you belong to any other forums for hermit crabs? Did you do any research on them when you got them a year ago? What is their tank set up? What do the gauges read? What foods are you feeding them?

Agression can happen in a tank. There will be alpha crabs. You will see shoving, antannae flicks, etc. Harming a crab is not the solution to this. If you feel you have a crab who is a bully, there is always the option to adopt the crab out to another crabber instead of resorting to harming the crab. I know you said you posted this to not upset anyone, but you had to realize it was going to upset members on here.

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

a meltdown?- I certainly hope when you have children you are aware that you will have very bad days- I hope you never harm your children, that was animal abuse period- I echo everything Vicki said

8. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Glad someone pointed out that that was animal abuse. Animal abuse often leads to Human abuse. Scary...

9. Mallie

Mallie "Preparing For First Molt"

What was going through your mind when you did this?

Did you just get angry and take action? Did you even realize how much you are physically hurting a living animal?

This is really mind boggling.

You don't even know if the crabbie you injured did anything wrong. It could have mearly been an accident.

You need advice? Give your crabs up for adoption. I am sure someone will take them.

10. stormshadow

I wanted to post a response detailing their keep and would like some feedback as to what I should change? I have two land crabs, they are purple pinchers I believe, I purchased them at Virginia Beach over a year ago.

I have them in a 5.5 gallon aquarium with sand. I have an electric crab heater taped to the underside of the tank and I have some store bought crab wood, plastic plants and a Hermie Hut. I have a small reptile bowl with a sponge for the water and I use the FMR Land Crab food in a small sea shell.

The lid of the tank is screen but I have sealed off 3/4 of it with plastic to help keep moisture inside the tank. I used to bathe them once a week, but before finding this message board I have read some mixed feelings about bathing, so I do it once every few weeks.

I don't adjust the temperature as the heater is just a plug in taped to the outside of the tank on the bottom.

I think that is about it... any feedback is welcome

11. Mallie

Here, Fill this out.

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?

Do you know what species they are?

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?

Tank Size:

Lid Type:

Placement of tank in your home:

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?

Placement of Gauges:

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?

Is there any metal in your tank?

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?

How often do you handle them?

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?

What types of foods do you feed?

What do you use as a calcium supplement?

12. stormshadow

A Picture of the tank as it is now.

13. stormshadow

This is the tank as it is now

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      41.7 KB
      Views:
  14. stormshadow

Here is a pic of the injured Crab the first time that the other one chased him out of his shell.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
  15. stormshadow

Here he is inside the shell before he was injured and chased out the second time.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      74.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Mallie

Are you using Regular tap water or dechlorinated water?

Stop using commercial foods, they are bad for crabbies - even if they claim they are safe and natural.

Your substrate needs to be deeper - at least twice the size of the largest crab.

What is your temp and humidity?

Are you using salt water, because they need both.

What kind of sand is that?

Provide them with protien so they wont feel like they have to eat eachother.

Give them way more shells!!! Then they wont have to compete over the one that they want.

17. stormshadow

How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    ONE YEAR

Do you know what species they are?
    SEE PICS

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    N/A

Tank Size:
    5.5 GALLON

Lid Type:
    SCREEN COVERED WITH PLASTIC

Placement of tank in your home:
    KITCHEN COUNTER

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    DRY SAND 2 INCHES DEEP

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    STRIP TEMP GAUGE

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?
    DON'T HAVE A HUMIDITY GAUGE

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    ABOUT 75 DEG

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it): IT IS ABOUT 6 INCHES SQUARE, 2 INCHES SAND OVER IT

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    NONE

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    YES

Is there any metal in your tank?
    NO

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    TANK MESH, AND WOOD, THEY DON'T EVER CLIMB

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    FILTERED TAP WATER

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?
    NO

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use? FRESH WATER ONLY

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    JUST SPONGES

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    2 CRABS 5 SHELLS

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    NO

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in? ONCE EVERY COUPLE WEEKS, I USE FILTERED TAP WATER

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    YES

How often do you handle them?
    NOT OFTEN

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc? NO

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    OCCASIONALLY

What types of foods do you feed?
    FMR LAND HERMIT CRAB FOOD

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    NONE

18. Mallie

That sand doesnt look like good material to dig in. I'd opt for a brick of Eco earth, that holds moisture really well and is soft and comfortable for your crabbies to dig in.

If that is calci-sand then mix it with the eco earth - my crabbies like to eat it.

19. stormshadow

Then what do I feed them?

If the sand is deeper then all warmth from the heater will be blocked

The temperature strip reads 75-80

Why salt water? They are tree crabs, they never come in contact with salt water in the wild??

It is hermit crab sand from the store. It comes in one pound bags

20. stormshadow

I did that at first, but it made it impossible for me to be able to see the poops and scoop them out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.