1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UTH not heating as i expected

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by rugh1982, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rugh1982

rugh1982 "First Molt In Progress"

so, i installed a zoo-med uth for 10-20 gallon, and it`s not doing such a good job...
    i side mounted it, and it only raised the temp NEAR it by 3 deg. from 23c in the middle of the tank to 26c right next to it (i put in 2 thermometers in to see how it`s working) i moved it now to the back side of the tank, right in the middle and at the sand level, hopefully it will work better there...
    anyone has UTH side mounted that can give me some pointers on how to use it better?
    thanks

2. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Yes, I have the same UTH, and side mounting.

It is not meant to raise the temp by a LOT, and I think its a good thing.

On really cold days what I have been doing is putting something next to the side of the tank with the UTH. Meaning, I would take the plastic kritter carry box and slide it up next to the UTH side, but NOT TOUCHING, leaving about 1/2 inch in between. Surprisingly, it helps keeps the temperature in a bit, for such little work. However, it doesn't keep it a LOT warmer, gives me about another 2 degrees.

I've put some background paper up on the other two sides of my tank that I don't usually look through. I think when it gets REALLY cold in the winter, I will be backing the tank with some cloth to try and retain the temperature. My thought process is, its not useful to cover the sides of the tank with cloth to keep warmth IN if there's no warmth to begin with, but now that there is a heater and there is warmth being produced, the most economic way is to just try and retain as much of the heat as possible.

I'm sorta experimenting too, so I don't have any sure ways to solve this, but I will keep this post updated if I think of anything!

3. rugh1982

well, it`s right in mid range now, 25c (77f) but it`s getting cold here... which is a good thing coz we dont have alot of water here. last year we didnt even have proper winter :)

4. strawberryskittle

put your tank in the warnest room you've got for the winter ;)

5. rugh1982

1. cant move the tank (the sands weight will break the glass)
    2. all the rooms are cold
    3. it will get warmer the next few days (no real winter here...)

6. deedeeiam

deedeeiam "First Molt, A Success"

Those UTHs are meant to heat the glass, which heats the substrate. They don't really heat the air.

7. strawberryskittle

Heat doesn't just stay in the substrate. Heat goes anywhere where there's cooler air for it to go. So it will heat up the glass, and the substrate, and as well as the air, creating a kind of micro environment. It also raises the humidity to, probably evaporating air from the substrate faster, which I can now see as potential problem for my molters... oh boy.

8. rugh1982

dont worry, it`s not that efficient...

9. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Tape a piece of aluminum foil over the UTH and it will keep the heat from escaping outside the tank and make it more efficient Straw is right it isnt meant to be a HUE heat source, just a warmer enviroment on chilly days.
    I still have to supliment with a 25 watt heat bulb during the day and a 25 watt moon glow at night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.