1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UTH inspired BOTH to molt?!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by strawberryskittle, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

So here goes, my nail biting, waiting thread. :eek:

Two weeks or so ago I posted that I had installed a UTH in my tank and restored liveliness to my crabs. They were eating, moving around, keeping me up at night, making a mess, etc etc.

On the 25th I left for a company trip. The day before I changed the food, waters, checked the temp/humidity, and was gone for 4 days. Nothing had been moved an inch when I got back. As of today, still nothing has been moved. At one point I accidentally knocked a leaf that I'm pretty sure one of my crabs is buried under, and I am (perhaps irrationally) now very worried I may have hit my buried crab, but I can only hope it wasn't anything major and I didn't collapse any sand. I need to remember to mist the tank to keep the sand wet! I've been not doing that often, oh boy...

I have changed the food to mostly dry and less perishable foods. None of the dishes are being touched at all, and there are no foot prints or sand tracked into dishes. Both crabs down 9 days and counting.

I'm very worried about my larger one. Waaay back in July I posted that my large crab was missing a part of its feeding claw, and try as I may to get the tank right, he just didn't want to molt.

I got him in May and this is his first molt, and so I am concerned. But at this point, other than changing out the food/water dishes once in a while, and misting the sand on occasion and keeping temp/humidity up, there's really nothing much else I think I can do but wait.

:eek: :eek:

2. strawberryskittle

Sprayed my tank to keep the sand humidity up....

Still no one moving around. No funny fish smell... Would I be able to smell funny fish if they die while buried under for a molt?

Just smells like salt water and wet sand in there so far...No movement or sounds, can't see anything from any of the sides of the tank.

It's so boring :(.

3. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Do your hermit crabs like octopus/squid meat???

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Well, that's great that your big hermit crab's molting. Hope he regains his lost limbs!

This'd be better posted in the pinned 'Safe Food List' or you can make a new thread. :)

5. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

I'm not sure if you would smell it, but unless you have a reason for thinking they are dead, don't disturb them =] and i wouldn't worry about the leaf. Crabs in nature probably deal with people walking over them! PPs are hardy, the leaf wouldn't bother =]

6. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I agree you probably didnt do anything to disturb them.
    You probsbly made them happier than they have been in a while with the temp adjustment and they felt comfortable enough to molt.
    could be 4-6 weeks or more. If you are REALLY curious you can try to look under the tank see if they left you a window to peek but dont do it often they need the dark.

7. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

I'd give them both at least 2 months straight before looking for them as I have tinies and mediums both who take 2 months to molt.

8. strawberryskittle

Even if I was curious, I can't hardly lift the tank, and trying to move it around to get to see them would be a huge pain in the arse and I would disturb them TONs.

It would be nice to see them, but I don't think its ideal :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.