1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using shelves?

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by scoobdoo, Apr 19, 2011.

1. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I had in my hand a shelf from wal mart a mainstay shelf, it did feel like metal but felt like it might of had some plastic coating or a spray coating. safe?? I didn't buy it, I put it back, thought maybe I better check first.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I think I have seen pics of tanks with them in. When we buy silk or plastic plants there is metal covered in plastic. You just cant expose the metal. As long as the metal is covered I think its ok.

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I just hate when you have something in your hand and you can't tell if it's plastic or not!

4. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I'm always hesitant of everything when I go out buying stuff and see something I'd like my darlings to have  :dontknow:
    I want them to have new stuff but I don't want anything toxic, and I don't think I can go out looking for stuff because I thought stuff in Maine woods is bad for em?

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Conifer trees (pine cones, pine wood, pine needles) are toxic to crabs.
    If you use anything from "the wild", it should be cleansed if possible and checked and rechecked for bugs.
    Personally I stay away from untreated things directly from the outdoors because I never know if they have been exposed to toxins in the air or if a raccoon has peed on it.  :hilarious:

6. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I live in a city so no raccoons here! But I can see how raccoon would be a problem (or it would have been before I move and will be for summer)
    I was gonna bake the stuff i found anyways x.x
    I'm glad that was confirmed, thank you.