1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of regular sand in our crabitat...

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by lilmuns, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilmuns

lilmuns Hi, I'm New Here!

My sons recently won 4 hermit crabs at the local fair and while we had an aquarium they can use as their crabitat, we do not have the proper sand for them. We do live in a very sandy area, is there any reason we could not use regular sand from the beach near our house until we are able to go to the pet store on Monday? Do we need to bake the sand or do anything to it or just use as is? Any help is much appreciated.

2. crazeecrabber103

crazeecrabber103 (Small Crab)

Hello! Welcome to HCRU.
    Beach sand is a perfectly fine substrate for hermit crabs. After all, it's what they walk on in the wild! Just make sure that it's clean and that you bake it before putting it in the tank. To bake it, spread about an inch on a cookie sheet (make sure that it doesn't have Teflon or anything on it) and bake it at about 350 F for about 1/2 an hour, stirring it occasionally.

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

Sand is fine but I would mix it half and half with either eco-earth or bed-a-beast. My PP's seem to like to molt in the bed-a-beast and just relax in the sand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.