1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Attack_Crab, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Attack_Crab

Attack_Crab Hi, I'm New Here!

About a week ago I started working at a local store called Waves. (Mt. Pleasant, SC) I’ve never really liked hermit crabs much; I’ve always been kind of scared of them. (Silly, I know.) But ever since yesterday, I’ve found that they really have a place in my heart and that they’re rather cute!

My problem? Well, for starters, the crabs are kept in this 33”x24” wire cage. There are too many crabs in this nasty environment. There’s no substrate, just the wire on the bottom. They had food, but no water. Tons of shells littered about, nothing to climb on, and there were so many dead crabs just lying around on the bottom, the stench is awful. Some crabs are hanging out of their shells, either dead, half-dead, or maybe they’re molting. The store is always really cold too!! I'm sure they're all freezing!

Today I got the crabs a few little dishes of water, and I plan on fixing up their habitat. But I don’t exactly know a lot about hermit crabs and I don’t have a lot of money. (And I don’t know if my manager will give me money to work on the cage.) I’d love some advice, tips, or ideas!!! I really want to save these crabs!! They’re so cute and I hate to see them dying because of our being misinformed. Thanks for your help!

2. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Welll to start with you can get a ten gallon tank and have three inches of sand. Got play sand at Lows or hmr depot. a 50 pound bsg for 3-5 dollars. Then get two bowls one for water. And one for food. Got declorinator also. And declorinate the water. Get mab one of two huts. MIst the tank every other day to promoate humidity.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Maybe what you can do is show your manager a list of "basic needs" (http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/index.php?page=checklist) see if he will consent to you adding some things. I know that pet stores do not like adding playsand substrate because it allows the crabs to dig and therefore the store does not make a sale on something that can't be seen. I just always hope that the crabs get sold fast! I don't know what "Waves" is, but if you are working in a pet store and have the supplies at hand, I can't understand why your manager would not allow you to set up a nice tank. Maybe you can point out that dead crabs won't exactly sell?!

Good luck!

4. beetlebug

beetlebug Hi, I'm New Here!

waves is beach shop.

5. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

yeah, I used to work at a store called Earthbound, which is also found close to the beach. my boss made a giant tank out of plexiglass glued together at the corners, and it could accomodate about 160 crabs or so comfortably. we had it filled with sandbox sand, and we gave them a few food dishes and a water dish (which was a plastic plate with a sponge in the middle filled with water). We also had a few hermie huts (basically coconut shells with holes cut on the sides so they could get in). and we got a spray bottle and filled it with water and misted them at least once a day. even if you can't get a lot of the accomodations you want, you could help a little by keeping an eye on which crabs are alive or dead, and keeping water for them in the cages (if all else fails, get a plastic bowl and put natural sponges (no coloring or scrub sides) in the middle so if they find the water too deep they wont drown. on a low budget, that's the best thing to do.

6. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

I've always hated the way Waves treated their crabs, and the way they hang onto the chicken wire, it almost makes you afraid to buy them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.