1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENT!! COLLAPSED MOLTING TUNNEL!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by danofofano, May 13, 2011.

1. danofofano

danofofano "Never Molted"

My crab went down for a molt yesterday. I was sifting around in the sand and I collasped his tunnel!  :eek:ops2: Since he just went down should I iso him in a kritter keeper in the tank?? I am super worried!  :eek:mg:

2. danofofano

I have prepared a small ISO in a kritter keeper with water THE BEST food I could get and shells bigger and smaller than his current. I NEED ADVICE ASAP!!

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Jf he just went down last night there is no reason to iso him. He is in the early stages of premolt and it would just bury down again. Dont panic it is really nothing to worry about.It usually takes weeks for them to accually molt (which might take as little as 45min.). The rest of the time is preparation and recover. I think you can put it back in the main tank.

4. danofofano

Thank you SOOO much! Is there anything extra I could do to help him molt? I over reacted there.

5. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

this could take a very long time and you will have to be patient. If they dig down to molt it is a good sign that they are healthy enough to get the job done. Don't worry if it takes weeks or even months (depending on the size) to do it. I had one this past Jan that went down for 4weeks and  it came up to drink, have a bit to eat then wondered around for a while then dug in again for another 3 weeks. It took its sweet little time. When it surfaced it was nice and shinny. Not a big crab. I would say medium but it is the smallest one I have. Make sure the substrate is deep and moist enough. Always food and water. You never know when it might surface again even if it is just to eat and drink. Do not look!! Do not do a deep clean. They know what they are doing you just have to let them do it.

6. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I have done the panic mode to, & still do when I think they have been in the dug down mode way to long, cause I forget when they grow it takes longer for them to molt. This last time it was over 2 months for my biggest to molt. I have had ones that have dug down for a few days then came back up, went back down, came back up, went back down and then stayed down, I've knocked sand in on them to when they just went down & uncovered them by mistake cause I moving stuff & cleaning poo and didn't know they were there, I just took  something and covered over them like a dish to make an air pocket and covered it with sand or e.e. and all is good! as we say in our family,  you be ' ight.