1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unexplainable aggression !!! HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by hello_hammerheads, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

ok, so i was looking at my tank earlier and i saw zonked in the gorner with the shells reat the heat like he always wre, and the others were all under except for kraken. i also noticed kraken was next to zonked, and zonked, being very friendly and only pinching her ex-owner because she would flail him around and never take care of him [ she is no longer his owner i am =] ] all zonked sis was touch him with his little antennaes [kraken approached zonked first] and kraken came at him with his claws open ready to attack and zonked tried to hide!!! normally i would have just moved them to opposite sides of the tank, but concidering that zonked can't go completely into his shell,[ he is too big for that turbo and won't change even though i have s perfect sized one, and some others] i put kraken in iso for being bad.

my iso tank is small, probably like a 3 gal. plastic one. but i made the conditions suitable and there is food and water... i have noticed kraken acting differently the past few days.. now this?!?! what am i supposed to do?!?!? he used to be so shy, but most likely because i got him 2 weeks ago... is this who he really is? what should i do to keep my hermies ok?!! how will my other hermie know he is safe ?!

please help!?!?

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

There's going to be some sort of alpha crab in the tank. Just like there is in the wild. He's showing his tankmates "I'm the boss". I've seen crabs flick other crabs and send them tumbling over.

ISO may or may not work. Do you feed them lots of differnet proteins? This will help with some of the aggression but it is normal for feeler fights and flickings to occur.

3. hello_hammerheads

4. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Hi. Get well soon! I've got a cold. :( Well, I'd put the bad crab back into the main tank and then keep a close eye on the two.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Crabs chirp, this is probably what you heard. To me it sounds like grains of sand rubbing against something. Like a crackling of sorts. Again, it's normal and something they do. Some think it's a way of communication for them.
    Feel better!

6. hello_hammerheads

so i should put him back?

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

That's up to you. I don't think he's showing any abnormal signs.

8. hello_hammerheads

alright... i will just keep a close eye.

thanks for the help =]

i just didn't want a crab to die.

=]

9. hello_hammerheads

ok, so the second i put him back in he ran over to zonked and started doing it again !!!!!!!!!!!

what do i do?

10. hello_hammerheads

Please?!?!?!?!?!?!

11. Hermie's rule

Just watch them carefully. For the night yu oought to put the misbehaving crab back into the iso tank. You can't watch them all night you know.

12. hello_hammerheads

i put him back... he looks so sad =[=[=[

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

Does he seem to want his shell? When you first got them, did you bathe them all together so they smelled the same?

14. hello_hammerheads

he seems to just attack him, no want of shells, zonked's shell is much too small for him, and it is cracked... but zonked refused to change. yes i did bathe them... and i did again today. i bathed kraken and zonked at the same time and had them meet. kraken seemed to walk up to him and then just walk away uninterested. i put him back in the main tank with zonked, zonked HATES baths, soi rarely give him one, only when it is needed, and he ran to go hide in the corner with the fake plants, and kraken went under the log thingey with the others. i am not worried about him attacking others because they can all retract waaaaaaay into their shells, where as zonked can't... he is too big. bu i can't find any un-painted or not plastic decorating shells around here his size =[

15. Hermie's rule

Just watch them closely. Feed them some seafood! like shrimp!

16. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Anytime I introduce a new crab to my tank I have a similar initiation. Usually after the first night or two they all find their pecking order and the problem does not continue. I would allow them to have their introduction, and just watch them closely. Don't be too alarmed by flicking, or even charging. I have one crab that jumps all of the newcomers from behind, even climbs on top of them and harrasses them for the evening. Once that crab sticks up for itself or retreats, the pecking order gets established and it is no longer an issue. I always make sure my new crabs have plenty of food, shells, and time to rest while they are in ISO- then I give my main tank a cleanup, make sure all of my empty shells are freshly rinsed, and even rearrange a few things on the day that I am adding the newcomer to the main tank. I find that the cleanup helps distract the others, rearranging also keeps them from being too territorial over a specific spot, and freshly cleaned empty shells always gives them all something else to focus on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.